NBA Draft Thread

The Orlando Magic select 18 year old power forward Dwight Howard, after trading Tracy McGrady to the Phoenix Suns for Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and the #7 pick. :headbang. I really think the Magic are goin to take Howard now, especially since T-Mac is as good as gone. At #7 we take the best center on the board, and sign Derek Fisher to the mid level exception. :bringit

Andre Iguodala, no doubt about it. A solid defended with amazing quickness and size. He is going to be a defensive stopper for the Bulls, and not someone that take 30 shots a game. If we are building the Franchise around Eddy, Igoudala would be a great fit on the team. Also we could trade down to #5 or #6 and still get Iggy and another veteran player; Boris Diaw and Jarvis Hayes come to mind.

The Orlando Magic select 18 year old power forward Dwight Howard, after trading Tracy McGrady to the Phoenix Suns for Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and the #7 pick.  :headbang. I really think the Magic are goin to take Howard now, especially since T-Mac is as good as gone. At #7 we take the best center on the board, and sign Derek Fisher to the mid level exception.  :bringit

There was an AP story in one of the papers here today about T-Mac going to the Rockets in a package for Steve Francis.

There was an AP story in one of the papers here today about T-Mac going to the Rockets in a package for Steve Francis.

I heard it was for Francis, Mobley, and Cato. If he went to the Sus, the Magic want Amare and Marion, but the Suns are reluctant to give them both up.

I heard it was for Francis, Mobley, and Cato. If he went to the Sus, the Magic want Amare and Marion, but the Suns are reluctant to give them both up.

I can't imagine T Mac is worth that much. Francis and a 2nd rounder for T Mac in my book. Watch T Mac become just another good shooting guard that should have been but never was once he either gets a team around him or is traded to a new team. Carter, Penny, and others. If the Rockets are trading the Franchise, Mobley, and Cato for T Mac they are seriously idiots.

Hopefully the Bulls don't take Deng or Igoudala. Neither of these guys thrills me. Trade the pick.

Pax is doing a superb job hiding his cards and setting up smokescreens to influence other teams decisions. This can be seen especially in the supposed interest of the Bulls in Gordon. IF the clippers are looking for a point guard (most likely Livingston or Harris), they might trade with ATL for their 6 and 17. At #6, they could pray SL falls to them, but if not take a more polished Gordon. If Pax says he has interest in Gordon, that would discourage the Clippers from going down to the #6, because they might not get either Livingston or Gordon. Then the Clips would just take Livingston at #2, which lets the Bulls make a trade with ATL. Bulls would send the #3 for the #6 and #17 or a vet. the Following picks would go:

#3 ATL: Howard

#4 Charlotte: Gordon

#5 Wash: Deng

#6 CHI: Iguodala

That's just one possibility. Gordon is an amazing player, but I don't think he'd fit in too well in Chicago without some major changes. Deng is possibly a fall out plan for Pax if he's not sure he'll be able to get Iguodala later in the draft. It will be also hard for the Bulls to pass up 2 studs in Howard and Livingston, esp. SL, depending on which one is there at #3. Livingstons stock has been rising a lot lately, and it only makes sense that he gets drafted by LA, if they don't trade the pick.

Hopefully the Bulls don't take Deng or Igoudala. Neither of these guys thrills me. Trade the pick.

The fact is that Iguodala will be the type of player that wins a championship for a team. He won't go out and take 25 shots a game, so you'll need Eddy to step it up and get dominant. Also Hinrich, JC, or another SF will need to contribute the midrange and long range scoring for the team. Iguodala is the perfect X-factor for a team. Best overall defender in the draft. Period. It's exactly what the Bulls need, and you must be joking if you say the Bulls don't need a defender. Excellent passing ability as well will also be a huge boost to the team. How did the Pistons dominate the Lakers in the finals this year? Defense and Passing. That's what you'll get in Iguodala, plus the best athelete in the draft. Anybody else would be a disappointment.

Somebody wrote this up. Interesting.

I know this has been mentioned before but I really didn't realize to what extent the similarities were. Here they are:

1. The Bulls have the #3 pick in the draft for the first time since 1984 when they selected Michael Jordan.

2. That draft was exactly 20 years ago.

3. Check out the descriptions of the two top prospects at the time.

-Player A: He left college after his junior year, following his selection as a 1984 consensus First Team all-American. He was also the NCAA Tournament MVP.

College Stats:

PPG RPG APG BlkPG

13.3 10.7 0.9 4.5

-Player B: Perhaps his most remarkable skill was his passing which was unmatched at the time for a man at his position. He had an excellent outside shot (three-point range), ran the floor well for a big man, and had an excellent team attitude

Player A was Hakeem Olajuwon, but his description is eerily similar to Okafor's. In addition Okafor's college statistics were:

PPG RPG APG BlkPG

13.8 10.6 0.8 4.3

Player B was Sam Bowie and it seems that he was the kind of dwight howard versatile big man of his time.

4. The next prospect was a hyper athletic kid whoes ability to shoot was questioned. In fact from reading biographies on Michael Jordan that set him apart was his desire to work hard on the defensive end. The same goes for Iguodala.

Jordan also only averaged 13.5pts/game his freshman year with Iguodala averaging 12.9 his sophmore year. (I realize that I am pushing the comparison a little bit here).

5. This is what the chicago tribune had to say a few days before the the 1984 nba draft:

"Lack of a dominating center is the major reason they have lost 111 games in the last two seasons, but there are only two can't miss pivotmen this time- and both will be gone by the time the Bulls make their choice"

- well this most certainly could be said about the upcoming draft as Okafor and Howard are the two can't miss pivot men.

AND the bulls haven't had a dominating center the past two seasons which could be why they lost so many games.

However the really freaky thing is that in the past two seasons the bulls record has been:

2002-2003 30-52

2003-2004 23 59

That's a total of 111 losses!!!!!!

6. Both Igoudala and Jordan went to top basketball programs where they were forced to play team oriented basketball with the result being their scoring stats were lower than what they were capable of producing.

I can't imagine T Mac is worth that much. Francis and a 2nd rounder for T Mac in my book. Watch T Mac become just another good shooting guard that should have been but never was once he either gets a team around him or is traded to a new team. Carter, Penny, and others. If the Rockets are trading the Franchise, Mobley, and Cato for T Mac they are seriously idiots.

He's not worth all those players but the salaries have to match. McGrady is signed to a max deal, unless Francis would agree to a sign and trade.

Igoudala is my choice for the Bulls! :headbang I also really like Snyder for Nevada. This guy carried Nevada by himself in the NCAA tourney. He's a really good defensive player, already has a NBA body, and can score. Of course, he's not worthy of the #3 pick, but would be great at like #10 or 11.