We're going to overpay for a #5

Texsox

Is it better to overpay in dollars or players?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is it better to overpay in dollars or players?

• Dollars
    • Players

The league knows we are in trouble for a 5th starter. Any other GM is going to hold out just a little longer if KW comes a calling. Is it better for us to overpay with dollars, perhaps picking up more of someone's contract or picking up an overpriced player, or including too much potential in a minor leaguer?

What I would like the Sox to do is just stick with SOMEONE/ANYONE at the #5 spot. So what if one of these yound kids gets rocked? Since anyone we put in this position is getting hit anyway why not give them a second, third or fourth shot? I think what they are currently doing is crazy. Maybe once one of these kids get a couple starts under their belts they may calm down and pitch better.

What I would like the Sox to do is just stick with SOMEONE/ANYONE at the #5 spot.  So what if one of these yound kids gets rocked?  Since anyone we put in this position is getting hit anyway why not give them a second, third or fourth shot?  I think what they are currently doing is crazy.  Maybe once one of these kids get a couple starts under their belts they may calm down and pitch better.

Which is why I think it is good bringing up Rauch well before a start. Let him get comfortable, meet the teammates, and feel like he's a part of the team, not some temp worker from Kelly.

I said players but I think we're going to give up too much of both IMHO.

I'm afraid you are correct. I was also thinking about how happy the Marlin's fans were in getting Koch. We would be happy with the starter equivelent of Koch at this point.

I'm afraid you are correct. I was also thinking about how happy the Marlin's fans were in getting Koch. We would be happy with the starter equivelent of Koch at this point.

In that case, we should have just started Koch... :lol:

I didn't vote because I consider Schoenweiss our 5th starter. If we pickup another Schoenweiss type pitcher, we aren't improving enough to win. I don't think Schoenweiss will have enough left in him come the end of the yr. Remember how tired Loaiza was last yr late in September? I think we will see the same from Schoenweiss this yr unless we can get his innings down a little. We need to pickup a top of the line pitcher or we'll see the Sox fade late in the yr again.

Last 2 season's Deadline type deals

July 25, 2002

Traded Ray Durham and cash to Oakland Athletics in exchange for Jon Adkins.

July 28, 2002

Traded Kenny Lofton to San Francisco Giants in exchange for Felix Diaz and Ryan

Meaux.

July 29, 2002

Traded Sandy Alomar to Colorado Rockies in exchange for Enemencio Pacheco

July 31, 2002

Traded Bob Howry to Boston Red Sox in exchange for Franlin Francisco and Byeong An.

July 1, 2003

Traded Roberto Alomar to New York Mets in exchange for Edwin Almonte.

Traded 3 players to be named later to Texas Rangers in exchange for Carl Everett;

Texas Rangers received Frankie Francisco, Josh Rupe and Anthony Webster (July 25,

2003).

Turned Bobby Howry plus prospects into Jurassic Carl

July 6, 2003

Traded D'Angelo Jimenez to Cincinnati Reds in exchange for Scott Dunn.

July 30, 2003

Traded Gary Glover, Scott Dunn and Tim Bittner to Anaheim Angels in exchange for

Scott Schoeneweis and Doug Nickle.

Turns D'angelo Jimenez and Glover into Schoenweiss

Still has Diaz, Pacheco, Meaux, and Adkins.

Overall in the deadline type deals KW has done quite well.