Interesting perspective

kapkomet

Just last week, President Bush the younger invited Clinton to the White House for the unveiling of the 42nd president's official portrait. Bush saluted his predecessor for "far-ranging knowledge of public policy, a great compassion for people in need, and the forward-looking spirit the Americans like in a president."

Now there's a quote. It's rare when a Democrat praises a Republican in this manner, isn't it?

They are part of a very exclusive club, that many times has transended politics. Carter and Ford have become close friends.

When you have shared something that few people ever have, it is a special bond. It is probably easier for a Rep and Dem to be close because they don't have years of internal party politics to fight over.

Wasn't it a Republican praising a Democrat?

Yes, Kap's question was rhetorical, suggesting praise might not have been as forthcoming if the roles were reversed. I don't think it is necessarily the case, even in this very exchange. Clinton publicly supported and said he understood Bush's decision to go to war in Iraq, without getting into details as to whether trumping up the justification for the war was something he condoned.

They were mutually very cordial to each other.

I think Tex is right about the exclusiveness of being/having been POTUS.

The Bushs and the Reagans have been sniping at each other for years, even in Ron Reagan's eulogy.

A four time congressman once told me, the best advice he got was keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And to remember that he had enemies in his own party who could hurt him far worse than the opposition.

Yes, Kap's question was rhetorical, suggesting praise might not have been as forthcoming if the roles were reversed.  I don't think it is necessarily the case, even in this very exchange.  Clinton publicly supported and said he understood Bush's decision to go to war in Iraq, without getting into details as to whether trumping up the justification for the war was something he condoned.

They were mutually very cordial to each other.

I think Tex is right about the exclusiveness of being/having been POTUS.

Ah, tose crazy rhetorical questions. Don't ya love 'em? ;)