Maggs Era Ending

DBAHO

Yup.  Maggs, Nomar etc. not signing with their respective teams over money is stupid, or atleast when it's 12 compared to 14.

The problem is that alot of these players equate money with respect. Newsflash: Money does NOT equal respect!!! They are two totally different things. In fact, I will respect him less if he goes to someone like the Yank-mes over a little money. Yeah, I know that $2 million isn't little, at least to us, but to a player, what is that actaully? Maybe half that, after taxes? And agent commissions? And I think NY charges a payroll tax on anyone working in the city as well.

Interesting read.

Problem with the writer's take on the issue is is that he does not know what will happen when the offseason rolls around. Perhaps the Sox will make an offer after the playoffs are over...we don't know. You'd atleast think that if the Sox did well in the playoffs JR and KW would do all they could to keep the nucleus of the team together. Consider that the contracts of Valentin, Koch, Loaiza, and Scho are ending along with Maggs, and you have a little over $30 mill coming off the salary. Who's to say that we resign Valentin at around $2-3 mill per(probably 2 years), resign Loaiza at $8-10 mill per(probably 3 years), resign Scho at $3-4 mill per(2-3 years), and then resign Maggs at $12-14 mill(4-5 years)? You add the high end of all those and it equates to roughly $31 mill. That potentially leaves us with a little money to get Harris/Uribe/Garland/Shingo/etc resigned to multi-year contracts.

I'm obviously uninformed on this issue, but I can't see why the White Sox couldn't resign Maggs. It's not like he's out of our price range.