Should KW be looking for TWO starting pitchers??

RibbieRubarb

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst part of it all is the Sox knew they were going to have issues with a 5th starter and like Steff said didn't do anything to remedy this issue back in the off season. So then they go to using minor leaguers who are not quite ready. The Sox basically losing every 5th start, they can't win this division. IMO

Well, we tried to bring in Person to be our 5th starter, but he got hurt (it wasn't even an arm injury, i think he tore his ACL), so at least they had someone lined up for the 5th spot until spring training started when Person got hurt. Once ST starts, it's kinda hard to make a trade for a big time pitcher until the trade deadline. So, I guess we'll have to settle on another mediocre starter or wait until the deadline to get a bigger name.

We just need one starter preferably either a two or three: If we get benson our rotation would be: Buehrle Loaiza Garland Benson Shoe (ok its decent) if we get Garcia the rotation would be Buhrle Loaiza Garcia Garland Shoe thats a quality pitching rotation right there. :D

Question. What happens if there is an injury?? The Sox have been VERY lucky the last few seasons with pitchers and injury's. What if Estey went down for 5 weeks or something? THEN WERE f***ED.

1 starter is a must, but 2 would not hurt at ALL.

If E-lo or Mark go down, we start selling and bringing in youth. No way we can win the division without those two. Sho or Garland would be problamatic, and again, we probably would be dealing Maggs at the deadline and picking up some prospects.

I think atleast KW should bring in a Bensen or the like to fill that hole in in the rotation. Yes he is not a great starter but he would hold the rotation long enough to maybe get Garcia when Seattle is ready to deal.

I like Benson. I think he might be able to turn it around on our team. Hopefully KW can raid the pirates just like the Cubs did last year.

The only Ace on a non contender is probably Randy Johnson.  If he isn't going to NYY, I don't think he's coming to CWS.

You offer them Reed, Borchard, Diaz, Cotts, and Rauch, and ask them to take on $6 mill of his salary for next year. Then you see if they bite.

I bet they would.

You offer them Reed, Borchard, Diaz, Cotts, and Rauch, and ask them to take on $6 mill of his salary for next year.  Then you see if they bite.

I bet they would.

The problem, however, is not the "they" it's the "him".

Randy's got a no-trade clause, IIRC. Thus, we could give them Frank and Magglio and the deal doesn't go down if Randy doesn't want to be on the CWS.

You offer them Reed, Borchard, Diaz, Cotts, and Rauch, and ask them to take on $6 mill of his salary for next year.  Then you see if they bite.

I bet they would.

RJ has the last word on where he goes. If you were him.. would you want to come here?? :huh

RJ has the last word on where he goes. If you were him.. would you want to come here??  :huh

It's kind of hard for me to answer that. Afterall, I'm not him. :D

If he thinks we have a serious shot at winning, and if he wants to end his career winning(and not on a team close to home), he could.

I think, if I were him, I'd first see how long I have to make my decision(say perhaps 72 hours). I'd then take all 72 hours to determine whether or not moving would be the right thing for me.

If I were him...I can't say that I would, but I also can't say that I wouldn't. I mean, I would have my ring already, why would I need more? But then again, I could be going out on top, I could be helping a team win a World Series that hasn't won a World Series since WWI, and I could even end up dueling against a friend of mine in Curt Schilling in the playoffs.

That's a pretty hard question for me to answer for RJ.

I bet they would.

They sure as hell would bite. Sox are supplying Arizona their future. Reed/Borchard would likely become the succesors to Gonzalez/Finley while Diaz/Rauch/Cotts would compete for bullpen, rotation spots. This deal would become the Todd Ritchie trade of 04. Even if two (of the five) pan out in the long run it will be considered a successful trade for Arizona. They aren't going anywhere (11.5 GB) and would love to have Johnsons hefty salary off the payroll. Meanwhile, how long will Sox have RJ? Two, three years at most. If KW is foresaking our minor league system Sox damn well better win the World Series. But we all know that's never a guarantee.

Adding to the troubles, what happens if Maggs leaves after this season? Reed/Borchard are gone. That leaves the FA market as the only choice. If 10+ is guaranteed towards Unit (and with Koch/Valentin gone), 15 million remains to plug other holes. Does JR resign Este? He'll probably warrant a 7/8 million dollar price tag. What about Schoeneweis? Will he resign or will the Sox search for another replacement? Both Este/Schoeneweis leave you have two spots to fill. Don't forget about the bullpen either, Sox sure as hell need reliable relief pitchers

We have some posters who don't want to give up the prospects to get 1 pitcher, nevermind 2.

I'd rather just trade Magglio for the pitchers, but that's another thread.

I agree Maggs is as good as gone anyway. You might as well trade him and strengthen the pitching staff. Good pitching always beats good hitting anyway. Hell noone wants to trade Maggs and noone wants to trade prospects so I guess the Sox would be f***ed cause noone wants anything else the Sox have.

I agree Maggs is as good as gone anyway. You might as well trade him and strengthen the pitching staff. Good pitching always beats good hitting anyway. Hell noone wants to trade Maggs and noone wants to trade prospects so I guess the Sox would be f***ed cause noone wants anything else the Sox have.

That's kinda the way I feel.

I'd say Magglio is on the block and see who comes with an offer, I'd like to see him used to get Garcia and EveryDay Eddy, but that's just me.

The Sox need a pitcher like that guy that replaced Kerry Wood. I believe his name is Glendon Rusch? He’s not a bad pitcher at all. A 4-1 record with a pretty good ERA. But it may be impossible to get this guy since he may go into the bullpen once Wood is back.

Any thoughts about the guy I’m talking about?

They sure as hell would bite. Sox are supplying Arizona their future. Reed/Borchard would likely become the succesors to Gonzalez/Finley while Diaz/Rauch/Cotts would compete for bullpen, rotation spots.  This deal would become the Todd Ritchie trade of 04.  Even if two (of the five) pan out in the long run it will be considered a successful trade for Arizona.  They aren't going anywhere (11.5 GB) and would love to have Johnsons hefty salary off the payroll.  Meanwhile, how long will Sox have RJ? Two, three years at most.  If KW is foresaking our minor league system Sox damn well better win the World Series. But we all know that's never a guarantee.

Adding to the troubles, what happens if Maggs leaves after this season? Reed/Borchard are gone.  That leaves the FA market as the only choice.  If 10+ is guaranteed towards Unit (and with Koch/Valentin gone), 15 million remains to plug other holes.  Does JR resign Este? He'll probably warrant a 7/8 million dollar price tag.  What about Schoeneweis? Will he resign or will the Sox search for another replacement?  Both Este/Schoeneweis leave you have two spots to fill. Don't forget about the bullpen either, Sox sure as hell need reliable relief pitchers

That most likely would not be the offer though. It would probably involve one or two fewer prospects. Not sure what exactly it would be though.

But to get RJ, you HAVE to overpay. Arizona really does not want to give him up, and I'm not sure he wants to leave. Even if Arizona did accept an offer, Unit may turn it down(and as I said, I don't even know if he'd waive his no-trade clause).

Atleast 3 of those 5 would probably leave, and I could see where 4 of the 5 could go as well.

The Sox need a pitcher like that guy that replaced Kerry Wood. I believe his name is Glendon Rusch? He’s not a bad pitcher at all. A 4-1 record with a pretty good ERA. But it may be impossible to get this guy since he may go into the bullpen once Wood is back.

Any thoughts about the guy I’m talking about?

Yeah, he could've been had for nothing. He was waived and the Cubs signed him to their AAA roster. Rusch has been around for awhile, with the Mets and Brewers. Had better years in Milwaukee if memory serves me correctly. He's been good for the Cubs, but I'd hate to see him in the AL for 30 starts.