Killingsworth wants to play for IU

:headbang Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice...Great news to hear after just getting back from orientation at IU. I'm so friggen' excited now for school to start; it's going to be a blast. :headbang

Killingsworth wants to play for IU

By Terry Hutchens

June 22, 2004

After playing a few pickup basketball games with incoming freshmen standouts D.J. White and Robert Vaden and several other Indiana University basketball players over the weekend, former Auburn University standout Marco Killingsworth said he had a revelation.

He decided Indiana was the place for him. This afternoon, Killingsworth called IU coach Mike Davis and made official his plans to transfer to Indiana. He is expected to send a signed letter of intent to IU Wednesday.

Killingsworth, a 6-7, 235-pound power forward, is a former first-team Parade High School All-American who has played the last three seasons at Auburn. He must sit out this season at IU but will have one year of eligibility remaining for the 2005-06 season.

And he will get the scholarship that was voided when 2004 recruit Josh Smith decided earlier in the spring to declare for the NBA draft. When Smith departed, IU had one scholarship left to give this season.

Killingsworth's commitment ends a busy week for the standout player from Montgomery, Ala. Last week he withdrew his name for NBA draft consideration, and later asked Auburn for his release. The program had undergone a change at the top with long-time coach Cliff Ellis being fired in March, and replaced by Jeff Lebo. Killingsworth said he needed a change, and Lebo gave him his release.

Killingsworth said he chose Indiana for one reason -- he thinks it's a place where he could win a national championship.

"I think with guys like Bracey Wright and all of the incoming freshmen that Indiana has that this is a place that might just be one player away from having a shot at a national championship," Killingsworth said. "I think I could be that player. I just think I could help this ball club in a lot of ways. I think I could be its missing piece."

The one aspect of IU's game that has been sorely missing in recent seasons has been an interior game. Killingsworth would certainly appear to fill IU's needs inside. As a junior last season, he averaged 13.7 points and 6.9 rebounds, and was a second-team all-SEC selection. As a sophomore he averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds. A strong inside presence with good range from 17 feet and in, Killingsworth led the SEC in field goal percentage each of the last two seasons. Last year he shot 58.7 percent from the field.

"I feel like I'm a versatile player who could play any of the five positions on the court if needed," Killingsworth said. "I can shoot the ball and I'm strong enough to post inside. And I feel like I can matchup with any power forward or center around."

It has only been one week since Killingsworth announced his intentions to leave Auburn but he felt it was important to find a new school quickly.

"I heard from a lot of schools but I feel like Indiana is one of the top five college basketball programs of all time," Killingsworth said. "When you think of the top five, you think about Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, IU and UCLA. When you have a chance to play for a program like that you don't let it slip by."

Killingsworth plans to move to Bloomington immediately and begin working out with his new teammates.

"I want to get up there with those guys and start practicing with them, start clicking with them," he said. "When I played with them over the weekend, I just felt like this was a team that I wanted to be a part of.

"I feel like with this team I can get back to my dream of playing for a national championship."

Killingsworth also said that he was looking forward to playing for IU coach Mike Davis.

"I like his approach and his offensive system," Killingsworth said. "I just felt very much at home at Indiana."

Davis is not permitted under NCAA rules to comment about Killingsworth until the university actually receives a signed commitment letter.

I don't know if he'll be a good enough to start or not, but he's a solid addition w/ Josh Smith opting out for the NBA draft. IU's recruiting class is still one of the top in the nation even after Josh Smith declared for the NBA, and we have a few returning starters that are going to be key. This team will definitely be back in the BT race, and it should be a solid team for the next few years with this group.

I don't know if he'll be a good enough to start or not, but he's a solid addition w/ Josh Smith opting out for the NBA draft.  IU's recruiting class is still one of the top in the nation even after Josh Smith declared for the NBA, and we have a few returning starters that are going to be key.  This team will definitely be back in the BT race, and it should be a solid team for the next few years with this group.

wrong and wrong.

Illinois is the favorite and will easily win the BIG 10.

Mike Davis is a jackass and can't coach.

Nope sober as a butterfly.

Davis does not impress me whatsoever.

OK, but a "jackass?"

I'm a Hoosier fan, and I must agree that he doesn't impress. Coaches like him are a dime a dozen. I don't see anything special in him.

I don't like Davis either, and don't tell me about the Final Four appearance, that was all talent

Illinois should still take the Big Ten this year. IU will be a good team though if they gel quickly and play as a team. I don't know about National Championship there, Killingsworth...

Illini brings up a couple of good points. I don't really give Davis the credit for the successful teams, because like he said, it's been a result of the talent. I would hate to see Davis be fired though. He's obviously not Bobby Knight, but he can f***ing recruit. If Indiana fired Davis today, I could guarantee everyone coming into play at IU this year would leave with the exception of James Hardy (he signed a football scholarship first). Some of the key guys like Bracey, Strickland, Ewing, Wilmont, etc. would probably be asking to transfer and play else where too. Davis is obviously not the greatest coach in the world, but he some how has the ability to attract talent to the school. I'd hate to see the school give up on him for that reason.

Well if it comes down to would you rather have a good coach or a good recruiter, i'd take the coach 10/10 times. IU should be able to sell itself. I'll give Davis credit for recruiting, but if you can't coach the talent...

Just my opinion there

I thought i remember hearing rumors towards spring about Strickland and someone else possibly transferring, i think that was on the table at some point.

Well if it comes down to would you rather have a good coach or a good recruiter, i'd take the coach 10/10 times.

I'd take a really good coach over a really good recruiter. There are two names that bring the answer of why a really good coach is bettter than a really good recruiter, and their both college football coaches:

1) Mack Brown

2) Phillip Fulmer (he did win a national championship in '98 but there was so much talent on that team it would have been hard to not win it all, and since then, he's gotten all these great recruiting classes and hasn't come close to having a team like the '98 team)

It's official on the IU website now:

Killingsworth Transfers to IU

Bloomington, Ind. – Marco Killingsworth, a 6-7, 235-pound forward who has led the Southeastern Conference in field goal percentage each of the last two seasons and earned second team all-league honors in 2003-04, will transfer from Auburn to Indiana University, IU head coach Mike Davis announced today. Although Killingsworth will enroll at Indiana for the upcoming fall semester and immediately begin practice with the Hoosiers, he will not be eligible to compete until the 2005-06 campaign. The Montgomery, Ala., native will have one season of collegiate eligibility remaining.

Davis is excited about the veteran presence that Killingsworth brings to the Indiana frontcourt.

“Marco was one of the top players in a very good league (the SEC), so we’re really happy to have him at Indiana,” Davis said. “Even though he won’t be eligible to play right away, he will still help us a lot. He will push and compete in practice, and that will only help our other guys get better. He has a lot of experience at this level, and that will be a huge influence on our younger guys. He is a great example of what hard work, dedication and a passion for the game can do for you.”

Just the 10th player in Auburn history to record 1,000 career points and 500 career rebounds in only three seasons, Killingsworth led the Tigers in scoring (13.7 ppg) and rebounding (6.9 rpg) last year. He shot .587 (145-of-247) from the floor to lead the SEC for the second straight season, and his scoring and rebounding each ranked among the top 20 in the league, while his field goal percentage ranked 16th nationally. Killingsworth was second on the team with four double-doubles, including a 23-point, 11-rebound effort against Ole Miss and a 17-point, 12-rebound performance against eventual Elite Eight participant Alabama. These statistics fueled Killingsworth’s selection to the Coaches All-SEC second team, the Associated Press’ All-SEC third team and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 6 second team.

As a sophomore, Killingsworth helped Auburn to the 2003 NCAA Sweet 16 by starting 33 of the Tigers’ 34 games. Killingsworth recorded 25 double figure scoring games, five double figure rebounding games and four double-doubles. He averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds, led the SEC in field goal percentage at .550 and earned the Tigers’ Outstanding Offensive Player honors. He tallied a season-high 24 points against Georgia State and grabbed 12 rebounds each against Western Michigan and LSU.

Killingsworth earned Auburn’s Hustle Award after starting 14 of Auburn’s 28 games as a freshman. He shot a team-best .529 from the floor and finished with 7.8 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in 19.6 minutes per contest. He poured in a season-high 17 points against UNC-Asheville.

A product of Central Park Christian Academy in Birmingham, Killingsworth was one of the nation’s most highly-recruited players in 2000-01. A first team Parade All-American who was ranked as the third-best power forward in the country by Hoop Scoop (12th overall player), Border Wars and Athlon’s, Killingsworth’s 30 points, 13 rebounds and seven blocks per game and .670 field goal percentage led Central Park Christian Academy to a 31-1 record in 2001. He was a first-team All-State selection and ranked as the second-best player in the state behind eventual Denver Nugget draft pick Ousmane Cisse.

Lewis Monroe, a 6'5'' Junior PG from Auburn, will be another welcomed transfer from Auburn.

IU welcomes 2nd transfer from Auburn

By Terry Hutchens

July 7, 2004

Less than four months ago, Indiana University basketball coach Mike Davis was rumored to be a candidate for the vacant coaching job at Auburn.

While Davis remains at IU, the Hoosiers' roster is starting to have a decidedly Auburn flavor. For the second time in two weeks, a former Tigers standout has announced his intention to transfer to IU.

Two weeks after power forward Marco Killingsworth gave his oral commitment to play at Indiana, Auburn point guard Lewis Monroe committed to Davis on Tuesday. Monroe was in Bloomington, Ind., during the weekend on an official visit and returned to Alabama late Tuesday.

Like Killingsworth, Monroe recently completed his junior year and will have to sit out the upcoming season. He will have one year of eligibility remaining.

The 6-5, 190-pounder from Madison, Wis., said sitting out the season is worth it.

"I just thought Indiana was the perfect fit for me," Monroe said. "I was impressed by the tradition, the fact they play in a great league, and I have a chance to play for a great coach. When you add everything up, I just thought it was a situation I couldn't pass up."

Davis is unable to comment until Monroe signs his letter of intent.

The addition of Monroe was accompanied Tuesday by a subtraction. Jessan Gray-Ashley, who played the first semester for IU as a freshman last season before being ruled academically ineligible, has decided to transfer to Marshalltown (Iowa) Community College. The door, however, has been left open for the 6-11 center to return to IU in the future.

Monroe started 34 games as a sophomore on Auburn's Sweet Sixteen team that lost to eventual national champion Syracuse in 2003. He averaged 6.2 points, 2.4 rebounds and 3.1 assists. In 113 minutes in three NCAA tournament games, Monroe committed just four turnovers.

Last year, he missed half of the season with a broken left foot he suffered in November. He returned in January to play the final 17 games. He averaged 6.1 points, 1.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists in 27.2 minutes of action.

Like Killingsworth, Monroe opted to transfer after longtime Auburn coach Cliff Ellis was fired in March. Ellis was replaced by Jeff Lebo.

Monroe said it helped knowing his former teammate would be at Indiana. He also said he was eager to play with IU's incoming freshman class.

"I'm really looking forward to coming in this season and practicing with these guys and helping the younger guys out," Monroe said. "I think I bring a degree of experience to a young team, and hopefully that experience will help these guys develop more quickly."

Monroe, 22, said he plans to move to Bloomington after completing summer school classes at Auburn. He said he's on pace to graduate in May with a degree in criminology.

In other news, IU still sucks

JK Greasy

Haha....

I just love how the "bandwagonin'" Chisox fan, WsoxShuf thinks he knows all though. These players aren't all that bad, looking at their numbers. However, now they're moving to a new team, new coach, and a new conference. These all could make them change for the better, or for the worse. We'll just have to let them play it out.

Jose Valentin was an awesome Milwaukee Brewer, wasn't he?

wrong and wrong.

Illinois is the favorite and will easily win the BIG 10.

Mike Davis is a jackass and can't coach.

Thanks for the explanation of the facts there.

IU will be solid and Illinois won't be running away with s***.

Illinois fans sure do get a hard-on about their Big 10 title, yet they failed to do s*** in the big dance when it meant something.

Last I checked, Mike Davis has gone to more Final Four's than the current crop of players and coaches at Illinois.

Perhaps you should win something or go somewhere before you open your yapper about the great Illini....My bad, they aren't great, just mediocre. :headbang

The class program in the Big 10 is Michigan State, until Izzo says otherwise.

I wouldn't say "failed to do s***" in the big dance. We made the sweet sixteen and got beat by the runner up Duke in a closer-than-the-score-indicated game. I wouldn't say we 'choked' or anything. It was a solid season last year

Mike Davis went to the final four because his team was super talented, in my opinion. I don't like him as a coach and i know many IU fans don't either.

Calling the Illini mediocre is an ignorant statement looking at the past few years. Don't be one of those fans.

MSU is classy, sure, but Illini is one of if not the best program in the big ten as of late.

But something Mike Davis does is recruit. How he gets the guys he does, I'll never know. But you're right, you have to be able to coach that talent. As deep as they're getting, they ought to be pretty good the next couple of seasons... but can he coach the team?

Yes, he recruits very well. This will be a nice test to say how could he can actually coach some good young talent. If he doesn't, i'm sure he'll be under a great amount of fire (not that he isn't already). Talent doesn't do all that much if the coaching isn't there to support it. It will only win you X amount of games. Hopefully he can mesh the young talent with the existing talent, mainly Bracey...and then hope he stays another year.