NBA draft thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm loving this draft right now. Hopefully Gordon will have the type of impact that 'Melo had last year (like Kerr suggested), and Deng will be a very solid player in the league for years. I can't wait to see who we get in round 2.

Utah = Whitest team ever...

Hey Barry.  You think Boston is racist, look at the drafting process of the Utah Jazz.  I dont know who the GM is over there, but he goes out of his way to draft white.

Well Utah is prodominately Mormon so they are drafting to their demographics.

I'm not too pleased with the Bulls draft. Gordon will be either a backup or a short SG. Great pick at #3. What a crappy draft class this is...

I'm loving this draft right now.  Hopefully Gordon will have the type of impact that 'Melo had last year (like Kerr suggested), and Deng will be a very solid player in the league for years.  I can't wait to see who we get in round 2.

Paxson is 2 for 2 so far as drafts go. Taking Hinrich last year was genius. And like I said in an earlier post. We've got 2 quality players that will contribute right away.

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- The Chicago Bulls added a pair of college standouts in the NBA draft on Thursday, taking Ben Gordon of Connecticut and agreeing to a trade for Duke's Luol Deng.

The Bulls took Gordon with the No. 3 selection, then got Deng at No. 7 in a trade agreement with the Phoenix Suns.

``We need to start building this team up again. We're still a very young basketball team,'' Bulls general manager John Paxson said. ``We've addressed some needs. We needed scoring and shooting out of this draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

``With Ben Gordon, we get both. With Luol Deng, we get both.''

Gordon led the Huskies to a national championship, averaging a team-leading 18.5 points this season. The junior guard averaged 21.2 points during six NCAA tournament games.

The 6-3 guard was selected one pick after Huskies teammate Emeka Okafor, who went second to the expansion Charlotte Bobcats.

Deng was taken at No. 7 by the Phoenix Suns, who made the pick for the Bulls. Chicago traded a future first round selection, a second round pick and cash for Phoenix's first-round choice.

Gordon joins a young Bulls backcourt that includes Kirk Hinrich, Chicago's first round draft selection last year. Hinrich was one of the few bright spots on last season's team, averaging 12 points and nearly seven assists.

The selection of Gordon could mean the end of Jamal Crawford's tenure with the Bulls. Crawford, the eighth pick of the draft in 2000, is a restricted free agent.

Crawford led the team in scoring at 17.3 points a game, though his defense and shot selection were often questioned.

This is the third straight year the Bulls have used their top pick on a guard. Chicago took Jay Williams of Duke two years ago, then lost him in the offseason last year to a motorcycle accident.

Gordon's stock rose leading up to the draft after several impressive workouts. He was projected as a point guard in the NBA, but could slide over to shooting guard for the Bulls.

He ended his career at Connecticut with 1,795 points and 437 assists, and his 246 3-pointers are a school record. He was a career 42.3 shooter from 3-point range.

In Deng, the Bulls added much-needed depth at the small forward position. The 6-8 Deng left college after averaging 15.1 points and 6.9 rebounds in his only season at Duke.