NBA draft thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One concern I have about Deng is, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Deng guard PF's in college?

He can't guard PF's in the NBA and he will be owned by guys like TMac and Marion.

So I am kind of worried about how Deng fits in on D.

Very true. I was hoping the Bulls didnt pick him mainly because he's an overweight/slow player who won't be able to muscle/bang with the power forwards in the league and won't be able to run with small forwards in the league.

We'll see where he fits in though.

Actually, just to let y'all know, the league that Al Jefferson played in is one tough league to play in. It's not full of some soft, no talent teams. These teams that play in it produce college players every year, some actually make it to the NBA. I remember my brother telling me that one of his friends that he met in college went to a school that played in that league and said that there were some bad ass players. A couple guys I can think of that were starters for their college b-ball teams that played in this league are Justin Reed (who got drafted in the 2nd round this year), Mo Williams (drafted in 2nd round last year), Aaron Harper (best 3 point shooter of all-time at Ole Miss; however, not drafted this year). Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the league is not as bad as some of y'all think.

Actually, just to let y'all know, the league that Al Jefferson played in is one tough league to play in.  It's not full of some soft, no talent teams.  These teams that play in it produce college players every year, some actually make it to the NBA.  I remember my brother telling me that one of his friends that he met in college went to a school that played in that league and said that there were some bad ass players.  A couple guys I can think of that were starters for their college b-ball teams are Justin Reed (who got drafted in the 2nd round this year), Mo Williams (drafted in 2nd round last year), Aaron Harper (best 3 point shooter of all-time at Ole Miss; however, not drafted this year).

Justin Reed, Celtics 2nd round draft pick ;o

Hoopsworld analysis on our 3 teams,

Boston: 15. Al Jefferson, PF, Prentiss H.S. (Miss.); 24. Delonte West, SG, St. Joseph's; 25. Tony Allen, SG, Oklahoma State; 40. Justin Reed, PF, Mississippi Thoughts: I like the choice of Delonte West and Tony Allen… a lot of people were very high on Al Jefferson, but I don't know that I'd have passed on some of the better options for him, but the pick is solid and now we will see what Danny and Doc can do with these guys, clearly the C's improved their core, they added some horses and you need horses to win races. Overall Grade: B

Chicago: 3. Ben Gordon, PG, Connecticut; 31. Jackson Vroman, PF, Iowa State (Vroman was traded to Phoenix); 38. Chris Duhon, PG, Duke Thoughts: Its hard to say what the Bulls were thinking drafting all of the guards they drafted, but the acquisition of Luol Deng and landing Ben Gordon give them two very nice players, Chris Duhon comes into a situation he could thrive in if it weren't for Kirk Hinirch. With so much duplication in the backcourt, a major trade has to be in the works, or the Bulls are simply ready to let restricted free agent Jamal Crawford become a Nugget or Knick. Jackson "Vromy" Vroman was the only impressive guy in the Chicago Pre-Draft and given the no risk factor of taking him in the 2nd round, leaves the Bulls in excellent position. This was a very good draft, despite the duplication it brings to the Windy City. Overall Grade: A

Orlando: 1. Dwight Howard, PF, Southwest Christian Academy (Ga.); 30. Anderson Varejao, PF, Brazil; 36. Antonio Burks, PG, Memphis (Burks was traded to Memphis) Thoughts: The Magic could not have had a better draft… Dwight Howard is a winner, and has enough upside to gamble on. The trade to land Jameer Nelson was brilliant, they got exactly the kind of guard they need, and Anderson Varejao is a nice player too. The Magic did very well last night. Overall Grade: A-

Orlando: 1. Dwight Howard, PF, Southwest Christian Academy (Ga.); 30. Anderson Varejao, PF, Brazil; 36. Antonio Burks, PG, Memphis (Burks was traded to Memphis) Thoughts: The Magic could not have had a better draft… Dwight Howard is a winner, and has enough upside to gamble on. The trade to land Jameer Nelson was brilliant, they got exactly the kind of guard they need, and Anderson Varejao is a nice player too. The Magic did very well last night. Overall Grade: A-

How can you not have a better draft and only get an A-? Isn't not being able to do better an A? :huh