Frank Thomas

"If I'd asked you who was second in the AL in OPS right now, would you have come up with Big Frank? A couple off years and the Big Hurt fell off our radars. Put him back on. He's got 58 walks right now, which, if you're not Barry Bonds, is really good. He's also slugging at a .615 clip and pasting doubles and dingers all over the yard. It's just like the old days. "

Finally The Hurt gets some recognition on his great season, he should be in the AS game as he should have last year at home but it didn't work out that way as Everett took his spot. I will vote my butt off for him because he deserves to be in it. Good luck to him and hopefully he goes on a tear that will gaurentee him a spot in the game and will really show he is back, not only that but wouldn't it be good if our #4 hitter's avg is .320 once Maggs gets back? :headbang

Heres the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/040624

Frank Thomas = Most Underrated Player in the League

It's hard to fathom that being true, but it really is. I love seeing Thomas getting some due respect here and there. It's well-deserved at the moment; he has one of the better all-around offensive numbers in the league. People also aren't talking about him, because he's not talking or being "the problem" in the clubhouse.

Franklin!!! :headbang

What's funny is that he was #1 in OPS less that a week ago. I'd say that he's easily the most underrated hitter in the league right now. Easily.

He has a brutal 0-10 streak going right now, though, and there's no way that he's going to right himslef against Prior. He very well may be under .280 by the time the game ends tomorrow.

not the league, the game. He's definitely the most underrated in the game period. And he's having a better season than any other 1B or DH in the league, of course he should start (except for Ortiz he's doing amazing... maybe he should start...) But Frank definitely doesnt deserve ANOTHER snub

I almost hate to say this...but due to Thomas not getting the recognition he has deserved for some time now...

Frank Thomas = Most Underrated Player in the League

People have forgotten how good he actually is.

I don't know if he's underrated. But he did fall off a little bit for a couple years. But last year and especially this year he's proven that he's still one of the best.

He should be the starting First baseman in the AL in the All-Star Game. He wont (damn NY fans) but he will make the team.

I think Franks is great, but he is a DH, not a 1st baseman, and would argue if a DH started a fielding position.

I think Franks is great, but he is a DH, not a 1st baseman, and would argue if a DH started a fielding position.

In his career, Frank has played 972 games at 1B with 3485 AB's, getting a .337 avg..and he's played 924 games as a DH with 3319 AB's, getting a .281 avg..he's done his time as a 1B and is listed as a DH/1B in the same way that Harris is a CF/2B and Juan is a 2B/SS. It's entirely possible that Frank could represent as a 1B in the ASG.

Isn't Frank really a case of he hurt himself in a way? He set the bar so damn high for himself, that when he wasn't performing at his peak performance, people were saying he was washed up. But it was never like he sucked, he was always a good - very good player, he just wasn't as insanely great as he was early on. He never fell into a Griffey like sllump, right?

In his career, Frank has played 972 games at 1B with 3485 AB's, getting a .337 avg..and he's played 924 games as a DH with 3319 AB's, getting a .281 avg..he's done his time as a 1B and is listed as a DH/1B in the same way that Harris is a CF/2B and Juan is a 2B/SS.  It's entirely possible that Frank could represent as a 1B in the ASG.

I thought the ASG was judged by this current season, not career. Sorry.

He is a first baseman. He's played more games at first than at DH in his career, and he has played some games at first this season, even.

Your arguement about being judged by the season and not the career is moot, however. Exhibit A: Nomar.

He is a first baseman.  He's played more games at first than at DH in his career, and he has played some games at first this season, even.

Your arguement about being judged by the season and not the career is moot, however.  Exhibit A: Nomar.

Interesting that the White Sox roster just lists him as a DH. I guess that's why I am confused. I thought that 10 games or so a year for the past 4 years pretty much took him out of the 1st base consideration.

Chisox.com link

So A-Rod, for the next few seasons, could still be voted SS since that is where be played most of the games in his career?

Interesting that the White Sox roster just lists him as a DH. I guess that's why I am confused. I thought that 10 games or so a year for the past 4 years pretty much took him out of the 1st base consideration.

Chisox.com link

So A-Rod, for the next few seasons, could still be voted SS since that is where be played most of the games in his career?

If he plays the minimum number of games as a SS in the year he gets voted, why not? Thomas is listed as a DH on that website, yes..but Burke is listed as a catcher, and I swear I saw him play outfield the other day. Just pointing out that those things aren't set in stone as the be all end all of what positions people play. Since there is no voting allowed for the DH in the ASG, I see no reason why DH's shouldn't be able to be voted under their "other" position, if they have one.

If he plays the minimum number of games as a SS in the year he gets voted, why not? Thomas is listed as a DH on that website, yes..but Burke is listed as a catcher, and I swear I saw him play outfield the other day.  Just pointing out that those things aren't set in stone as the be all end all of what positions people play.  Since there is no voting allowed for the DH in the ASG, I see no reason why DH's shouldn't be able to be voted under their "other" position, if they have one.

I cannot see selecting a guy who plays a position 4 or 5 times that season over a guy who plays the position every day.

Yes, and Frank beats everybody at 1B THIS year.

And it's only "ostensibly" about pefromance-relative-to-peers in the first 3 months of a given season. In reality it's named the All-Star Game, not the All-PlayerWhosHadTheBestFirstHalf Game.

The fact that voting is left up to the lemming fans only confirms it. Popularity is at least equal in weight to actual merit - and sometimes exceeds it when it comes to ASG.

Garciappara and Tejada are a bigger "stars" than Carlos Guillen and Michael Young. People want them there whether it's fair or not.