Official Ortiz/Jones ATL Rumors Thread

redandwhite

Im seeing alot of "aww, I would take him, that wouldnt be so bad"

I dont know if alot of you have watched this team latley, or heard that Shoe is now on the DL, but right now Ortiz sounds pretty good right about now.

Russ Ortiz would be okay, I mean he would get us by.

I seriously don't know why we need him though, I mean we have f***ing Jon Rauch and Felix Diaz!

CWSOX45

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt mind getting Ortiz... only if KW doesnt consider this our big time SP pick up... if we could get Ortiz, Garcia/another good SP, and 2 people for bullpen help... then i would start to think that all of hell froze over and jesus is comming back!

if something like this was to happen, KW and JR would score some HUGE points with chicago and its fans

No kidding. I’m pretty sure everyone will be excited that we get such an early Christmas present in June or July. The main guy I want is Freddy Garcia and a couple of reliable bullpen arms. But If we do get Ortiz and Garcia, this team have better start kicking ass in the field.

Ortiz is making $6,200,000 this season. I think he's on a 2 year contract into next season but I'm not too sure. Seemed to start off slow early but has turned it around in the last few weeks. Thing is, I don't know why Atlanta would trade him. They're only 5 games out of the division lead, Chipper Jones is startin to hit and they'll get Marcus Giles back. Paul Byrd just joined the rotation as well. If we can get him for a prospect or 2, doubt they'll take Reed or Borch although they might if they move Chipper permantly to 3rd and Rauch, then yeah I'd do the deal.

Looking at the ATL message board on mlb.com, they are under the impression that a deal may get done to try and help them salvage the season. That means with major league hitters. 1B and the Of are the big concerns.

This link also said that the Braves sent Jim Fregosi to scout the Sox this week. Maybe Rauch. But probably a bat.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/b...04/26ortiz.html

If a deal for Ortiz was done, I wouldn't count out additional moves. Esp. with SS out. And if it involved major league hitters.

Ortiz is making $6,200,000 this season. I think he's on a 2 year contract into next season but I'm not too sure. Seemed to start off slow early but has turned it around in the last few weeks. Thing is, I don't know why Atlanta would trade him. They're only 5 games out of the division lead, Chipper Jones is startin to hit and they'll get Marcus Giles back. Paul Byrd just joined the rotation as well. If we can get him for a prospect or 2, doubt they'll take Reed or Borch although they might if they move Chipper permantly to 3rd and Rauch, then yeah I'd do the deal.

ATL has Paul Bryd back and is getting Ramirez back from injury. ATL is lookign to salvage the season still, by media reports. That means a Sox bat would most likely be involved, not a minor leaguer.

ATL has Paul Bryd back and is getting Ramirez back from injury. ATL is lookign to salvage the season still, by media reports. That means a Sox bat would most likely be involved, not a minor leaguer.

Paul Konerko then? Depends what they do with Chipper Jones, he stays in the outfield, they'd want a corner infielder. He moves to 1st or 3rd, an outfielder.

Paul Konerko then? Depends what they do with Chipper Jones, he stays in the outfield, they'd want a corner infielder. He moves to 1st or 3rd, an outfielder.

Jones has been playing 3B this week. Hasn't he been hurt this year?

Looking at their lineups, 1B and LF are the big open spots for ATL. LaRoche hasn't done anything, Franco is about 60, and now they have Eli Marrero in LF. Rowand or Konerko my guess.

I'll take Ortiz for the right price. We can't go much longer with Mark-ELo-Judy-Rauch-Diaz)? And we can't afford to keep skipping the off day and skipping the 5th starter, these guys are tired. Deal is imperative right about oh say NOW. With Schoe now on the shelf, we need a quality starter in here as soon as possible. I wouldn't mind giving up Konerko and his 8 mil salary. This team is going nowhere fast without another top of the rotation starter in here, and fast. We have to win some of these games in the next week before we find ourselves 6 games out at the all star break.

I may(or may not) get crucified by suggesting this...but why not Carlos Lee?

He makes $6 mill this year(which would cancel out Ortiz's salary), it would get rid of his $9 mill on the books for next year, and it opens up the team a lot more, allowing perhaps Harris to try LF, or have Rowand play there a little more(along with Gload), and we can then get Finley and not have too many good players on the team.

Personally, I'd love the move. But maybe I'm the only one that would.

No way, I would deal Maggs before C Lee

Given how worthless all of our prospects turn out every time they come up (Borchard, Munoz, Rauch ...hell even Crede right now etc etc), I have no intention of letting go a proven player we can afford to have for the next few years

If we let C Lee go, we should trade everyone including Buerhle.....just rebuild completely from scratch if that is the case

I may(or may not) get crucified by suggesting this...but why not Carlos Lee?

He makes $6 mill this year(which would cancel out Ortiz's salary), it would get rid of his $9 mill on the books for next year, and it opens up the team a lot more, allowing perhaps Harris to try LF, or have Rowand play there a little more(along with Gload), and we can then get Finley and not have too many good players on the team.

Personally, I'd love the move.  But maybe I'm the only one that would.

I would agree with you if Carlos was still in the funk he was in earlier this year, but he has been our most consistant player this year and I don't think that the WS are going to do that.

I realize he was a third baseman, but how many years ago was that? I mean, i don't think Biggio would be a great catcher right now...

I'd say Thomas plays first, Lee DH's. Thomas isn't great, but i don't think Carlos right now would be a good first baseman. I'm making this assumption off of the fact that he hasn't played much infield in many years

I realize he was a third baseman, but how many years ago was that? I mean, i don't think Biggio would be a great catcher right now...

I'd say Thomas plays first, Lee DH's. Thomas isn't great, but i don't think Carlos right now would be a good first baseman. I'm making this assumption off of the fact that he hasn't played much infield in many years

I'm not sure why he was moved to the OF.

I was just throwing out an idea.

The Score Radio in Chicago is reporting that the White Sox are close to completing a deal that would send Russ Ortiz to the White Sox, and prospects to Atlanta.

Stay Posted.

The deal was never reported as being "close" to being done. I was at the Score all afternoon. When we first got word, it was that they were/had been talking. Offman headr rumblings about it last night, but couldnt air it yet.

My gut, it doesnt happen. It's just a rummor