Bridgeport/Archer Heights/Clearing Apartments

BridgeportHeather

I've recently accepted a teaching position on the south side of Chicago at Bogan Computer Technical High School, which is on the corner of 79th and Pulaski and start next school year. It's a good school, I've already observed over there for two full days, and the kids are all Sox fans there, so I'm getting pretty pumped up about it.

Because I will be teaching in the Chicago Public Schools, I must reside within the city limits before the end of this calendar year. After doing some serious thinking, the south side is where I'm highly considering living, since it would be very close in the proximity to work, and it would be awesome to live among the huge congestion of Sox fans! Bridgeport, Archer Heights, and Clearing are the three neighborhoods that I've heard are great from previous advice I have received. There are a ton of 2- and 3-flats that are refurbished in those areas, I've heard from the same source.

I know that there are a ton of you who live on the south side or have a ton of information, so if you have any advice, I highly thank you in advance! In addition, what are the best sources for information on apartments in the areas? Also, are there any free papers at south side grocery stores that I may be able to pick up?

Thanks again!

I lived in Clearing before I bought a house, and I really like that area.

Too bad about Bogan, though.....couldn't get hired at a real school???

( I went to Hubbard )

:finger :D :P

I have NO idea how either of those schools are anymore - I went to HS back when our books were slabs of granite and intramural sports consisted of vulture-hunting and boulder toss.

I lived in Clearing before I bought a house, and I really like that area.

Too bad about Bogan, though.....couldn't get hired at a real school???

( I went to Hubbard )

:finger  :D  :P

I have NO idea how either of those schools are anymore - I went to HS back when our books were slabs of granite and intramural sports consisted of vulture-hunting and boulder toss.

Hey jackass I went to Bogan C/O 1996.

Hubbard & Curie are where all the s***bags went when I was going. You didn't go to either without a riot shield and baton.

:bringit :finger

Hey jackass I went to Bogan  C/O 1996.

Hubbard & Curie are where all the s***bags went when I was going.  You didn't go to either without a riot shield and baton.

:bringit  :finger

I remember going past Curie on the bus while a race riot was happening.

Kids were throwing punches, kicks and sports equipment at each other, and one musclehead came out swinging a locker door at people!

Pretty unbelievable s***.

I went to Hubbard in the late 70's, and back then OUR perception was that all the pieces of crap went to Bogan - of course, the Bogan kids thought that about us, too.

I remember going past Curie on the bus while a race riot was happening.

Kids were throwing punches, kicks and sports equipment at each other, and one musclehead came out swinging a locker door at people!

Pretty unbelievable s***.

I went to Hubbard in the late 70's, and back then OUR perception was that all the pieces of crap went to Bogan - of course, the Bogan kids thought that about us, too.

I think we can both agree that Curie has always been a s***hole. All of my memories of the place involve driving by there down Archer Ave or Pulaski Rd around 2:30 in the afternoon and seeing young assclowns flashing gang signs, defacing the bus shelter along Archer Ave and causing general chaos before boarding the bus or the "L" and heading back to whatever s***hole neighborhood they came from.

I really dont know anything about Hubbard except where it's located, I was just giving you s***. :lol:

I really dont know anything about Hubbard except where it's located, I was just giving you s***. :lol:

...why, YOU LITTLE....

:lol:

When I went there, Hubbard was a VERY racist school - I vividly remember the parents bringing VERY NASTY picket signs outside the school when the first African American kids were bused in. The N word flowed freely around the school, and those kids were made to feel very unwelcome and under constant threat of attack.

It has since gone on to be one of the more racially diverse schools in Chicago, very representative of the neighborhood now.

...why, YOU LITTLE....

:lol:

When I went there, Hubbard was a VERY racist school - I vividly remember the parents bringing VERY NASTY picket signs outside the school when the first African American kids were bused in. The N word flowed freely around the school, and those kids were made to feel very unwelcome and under constant threat of attack.

It has since gone on to be one of the more racially diverse schools in Chicago, very representative of the neighborhood now.

Bogan was the same way. My neighbor had a son that went there in the 80's and he says it was much the same way. There was a group of parents called the "Bogan Broads" who fought like hell to keep the blacks out of there and for a while they were quite successful, that is until their kids graduated and they saw the writing on the wall and moved away. Now the area around there is filling up with Arabs.