Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We panicked and overpaid.

Good GMs trade horses*** prospects to teams willing to deal

a Garcia.

We traded Olivo and Reed.

Ben Davis is pure horses*** by the way. That guy is

hopeless.

Let's see if we can win with no catcher, now.

Dude, do you EVER look at the schedule?

Are you serious? Do you really think we could go to MINN & Wrigley & come away winning those series with Rauch & Diaz as the 4th & 5th starters?

What are you smoking?

In a fantasy world we wait until Garcia is dirt cheap, but you know what?

In that fantasy world Schow doesn't go on the DL. When Schow went on the DL

the urgency shot up through the roof.

Before the trade we had a struggling #1 in MB, an ok #2 in E-LO, a questionable #3 in JG, cross your fingers in JR, & hope we don't die in FD.

Now with Garcia everyone drops down & SS,JR,& FD compete for the 5th.

I don't think you can make a run at a WS with JG as the 4th. So I think Ortiz needs to be here as well. If that takes giving up Maggs to get him well so be it.

Wow!  A few hours after the Garcia trade & a new rumor surfaces.  Jason Kendall any one?

The New Rumor I see now floating around. If The cubs could deal "scrubs" for Simon and Ramirez, then I don't see why the sox can't have Kendall for a couple of throw-in guys with Pit. eating some of his contract.

The New Rumor I see now floating around. If The cubs could deal "scrubs" for Simon and Ramirez, then I don't see why the sox can't have Kendall for a couple of throw-in guys with Pit. eating some of his contract.

Jreed, are you hearing this from somewhere reputable or is it just speculation on your part?

Thanks!

Just read the WSCR post about KW talking to the Pirates.

Guys, we have to give the White Sox front office credit, they are doing their best to give us a winner.

That is so infrequent as a Chicago sports fan.

We have to give talent to get talent, making a trade is not easy in baseball. There are way more variables than any of us know.

Difference is Yankees have the payroll flexibility (more like blank check) to sign available catchers/infielders.

I understand that, I just think Garcia is the best guy out there and this was the price that had to be paid.

All we can do as fans is sit back and watch.

Do you really think we could go to MINN & Wrigley & come away winning those series with Rauch & Diaz as the 4th & 5th starters?

Even though your talking to greg I'll say sometihng on this..

Did anyone ever think Rauch would pitch 5 strong innings agianst one of the best hitting teams in baseball, and Diaz throwing a "quality" start against the cub offense? That's the beauty of baseball, we can't predict the future of these pitchers. Who knows if Rauch could pitch another good outing and Diaz once again putting the cubbies in their cages. It's how the beauty of baseball is orcastrated.

Kenny needed to get either Ortiz or Garcia before the Minn series.

Whoever it was needed to start at least one game in that series.

That's what a quality GM is going to do. That is a HUGE series coming.

The cub at Wrigley is equally as tough. You can't go the rest of the 1st half

with 5th starters getting 4 starts. You just can't.

So Garcia, Davis for Olivo, Reed, & Morse was the right thing to do.

I would imagine that KW is giving Maggs one more chance.

If Maggs decides to sign the extension then it would make sense that the

next deal coming is Kendall & Benson. I don't know what it's going to cost

Kenny to pull that trade but that will be the deal if Maggs signs.

That would be plan B if Maggs signs, but if he doesn't sign then plan A is getting

Andruw Jones & Ortiz for Maggs & change.

I like that we're going after Kendall. A contact-hitting catcher with a good arm and decent/good speed is something I'd like on the Sox long term as long as Pitt picks up some of the salary. By July 30th, if we got Garcia, Kendall, and Ortiz/Jones, I'd be stoked and ready for a run at the WS!!!!!!!

The Sox had to make this deal. When will the Sox be in this position again? Garcia gives the Sox four solid starters plus Schoeney/Diaz/Rauch. It shores up the bullpen if one of the young guys can kick Jackson to the curb.

Loiza is a FA, Maggs is a FA, Valentin is a FA, and I'm sure several guys are due raises in arbitration. This is now the best Sox team (on paper) we've seen in a long time, and one that has a real chance to make a postseason run. Will it? Hopefully, but I'd rather take the chance than wonder what could have been if Rauch/Diaz, etc flopped down the stretch.

We all liked Olivo, but he started only 12 of 23 games in June (by my count). Obviously there was a problem. Even if KW is spinning by criticizing Olivo's game calling ability, something was going on.

Reed is a good prospect, but the Sox have publicly stated their hard-on for Borchard several times in the last few months. Clearly Borchard is the untouchable and Reed was available.

As for those who think the Sox grossly overpaid:

1) if we resign Garcia, its a good deal

2) if we win a World Series, I don't care if Olivo is the second coming of Fisk.

3) what'd you expect Seattle to take? A few AA guys, a bag of Starbucks coffee, and some Chicago-style pizza?

Just read the WSCR post about KW talking to the Pirates.

Guys, we have to give the White Sox front office credit, they are doing their best to give us a winner.

That is so infrequent as a Chicago sports fan.

We have to give talent to get talent, making a trade is not easy in baseball.  There are way more variables than any of us know.

Yes. And Like I said before, if the cubs dealt with the Pirates with no problems (pretty much "scrubs" for Simon/Ramirez/Lofton) then I can see the sox doing the same as well. KW always has a plan for this team, and if we get Kendall, I can cope with the loss of Olivo. ;)

For all those who think OG's friendship with Garcia will get him to sign an extension, you should go to foxsports.com and watch the video clip. A couple of interesting things. Garcia didn't seem too enamoured with the trade. They asked him about his friendship with OG and he said that was nice to have OG as a friend, but said this was a business. When they asked him about signing an extension with the Sox, he said to talk to his agent. He did say the Sox had a good club with a great chance at the playoffs. The Seattle GM spoke and said they asked the agent what type of money he was looking for today and thought it was very high, hense the trade. I would imagine he is looking for at least Colon money. They spoke to Melvin the manager, and he mentioned Garcia is a free agent after the season, and it was possible he would come back to Seattle.

Jugger I agree we need another starter, but we're also

in the s***tiest of s*** divisions and I don't think we

needed to part with Olivo to get Garcia.

Especially when we have no suitable catcher.

Ben Davis is a joke. I have followed his career.

I mean if we have a hole at catcher now and in the future

what good is it filling the other hole on the mound?

I just think we overpaid.

I hope Freddie dominates but it seems stupid to overpay.

That's my take.