ESPN 1000: Freddy Garcia traded to the White Sox

Flash Tizzle

Are you gonna keep your name?

Ya know. A couple other people asked that same question. I said this..

I dunno yet.. I don't wanna turn into the next young gun/motown/Wsox143.. 

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Cheat suggested changing it to "The Ghost Of Jeremy Reed" DBAH0 "Jeremy Reed's Ghost" Or Whitesoxfan56789's JBorchardfan :lol: I'll think about it. It does suck though. ;)

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know. A couple other people asked that same question. I said this..

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Cheat suggested changing it to "The Ghost Of Jeremy Reed" DBAH0 "Jeremy Reed's Ghost" Or Whitesoxfan56789's JBorchardfan :lol: I'll think about it. It does suck though. ;)

Oh, I didn't see that earlier. I like the Ghost idea.

He might have paid too much -

Yahoo.com mlb news:

The Yankees had been scouting Garcia for several weeks. The Mariners called New York general manager Brian Cashman on Sunday and said they were prepared to trade Garcia, then called him back and said they had an offer they didn't think could be topped.

``We couldn't match that deal,'' said Cashman, adding that New York's prospects were not as close to being ready for the major leagues as Chicago's are.

I'll chime in as it's my first appearance of the day...

When I heard it on the radio, I jumped for joy. I loved it. Then when I got home and found out it was for our "catcher of the future" Olivo, our "untouchable" Reed, and a quality short stop in Morse, my face went from happy/excited to unsure to mad/shocked and confused.

Now that I've had time to sink it in, I still have a similar feel.

Giving up Olivo is just wrong, period. Plain and simple, its just not right.

Giving up Reed is fine by me even though I liked him alot, but should not have been traded considering Kenny said he was "untouchable."

Giving up Morse is fine, you give something to get something.

With that being said, I love the news. Freddy Garcia to the White Sox made my day when I first heard it, but boy oh freakin' boy did Kenny give up a lot.

I might have rather had Ortiz for 20 cents on the dollar, but thats just me.

:unsure: :angry: ;) :o :D :P :huh:

^^^

The many faces of redandwhite today.

how about Brandon Inge for our catcher? having a good year. he's on the DL with a broken finger though. anybody know how long he'll be out?

I've long been a fan of Inge's and I think we all know that Hawk and DJ like Inge. No clue how long he's on the DL for, but he is a solid player. However, he's young and I don't know if the TIgers would be too interested in dealing him.

I've long been a fan of Inge's and I think we all know that Hawk and DJ like Inge.  No clue how long he's on the DL for, but he is a solid player.  However, he's young and I don't know if the TIgers would be too interested in dealing him.

They've been fine having him play in right, left, center, first, third etc.

He'll probably continue to do so.

You said:

1) if we resign Garcia, its a good deal

2) if we win a World Series, I don't care if Olivo is the second coming of Fisk.

3) what'd you expect Seattle to take?  A few AA guys, a bag of Starbucks coffee, and some Chicago-style pizza?

I would agree with 1 and 2. But I think 3.) should read, if we don't win the division,

KW is fired.

I think we could have gotten Garcia without giving up Olivo.

I mean look at what the Royals got for Beltran??

There was one big difference, their was a bigger market for Garcia. The Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox and White Sox were all in the picture and I wouldn't be shocked to find out if other teams were. When it came to Beltran no one was really hot and the Royals GM had been saying he wanted to move him immediately.

If you ask me, Alan Baird was the fool and in this instance Bavasi was a smart GM. Plus the best pitcher on the market should command more then the best hitter on the market, imo.

i absolutely hate this so much. No way Olivo should have been traded. Our catcher position now sucks and we have no one even remotely close in the minors. Reed is going to be a stud and we missed out big time on him. I can not believe we gave up both Reed and Olivo.

I have not bashed Kenny much but this is horrible. Once again, he wayyyyy overspends.

Way to go :fyou

What is means right now is we have no catcher.

Agreed?

Well Sandy was getting the majority of the starts behidn the plate. Not saying Sandy is great, but Burke will end up replacing Olivo and the fact is Miguel wasn't getting all that much playing time and none of the pitchers seemed to want to throw to him.

Ben Davis has the exact opposite rap and I firmly believe he could be the sleeper of this deal a year or two from now.

He might have paid too much -

Yahoo.com mlb news:

The Yankees had been scouting Garcia for several weeks. The Mariners called New York general manager Brian Cashman on Sunday and said they were prepared to trade Garcia, then called him back and said they had an offer they didn't think could be topped.

``We couldn't match that deal,'' said Cashman, adding that New York's prospects were not as close to being ready for the major leagues as Chicago's are.

You're not getting the point. When the NYY$ are involved then you need to read betw the lines. The M's took the SOX offer of better talent & no cash over the NNY$ best offer of less talent & LOTS of cash.

So even though talent wise the SOX paid more than the NYY$ could, trades rarely involve only talent. The fact of the matter is Garcia meant more to the SOX than he does to the Yanks & the SOX needed him a lot more right now.

Possibly KW's best high-profile trade to date. :headbang

Exactly, but we've all seen players come into their own later on in their careers. 

i.e. my avatar

ya but that's because Minnesota didnt use Ortiz enough. I know, sometimes it takes a while but more often than not when it takes that long nothing ends up developing. Plus, the idea of our cathers being Alomar/Davis/Burke is sickening

I'm just not seeing it.  Freddy Garcia has been about just as successful as Todd Ritchie in his career yet we give up twice as much.

What in the world are you using to measure Garcia?

Todd Ritchie has never had a top 5 ranking! Garcia's 3.20 ERA plus all other measures places him in the top 4 in the AL this year. Possibly #3.

Look at his splits. OPS vs (LH 625, RH 669). Do you have any idea how much better that is over ALL other SOX SPers?

2003: OPS vs (LH 848, RH 633)

2002: OPS vs (LH 724, RH 732)

2001: OPS vs (LH 711, RH 524)

2000: OPS vs (LH 854, RH 596)

If I were to compare that to Buehrle's #'s you would say Garcia is the best pitcher the SOX have had in the last 4 yrs! Yes, he's that much better & the SOX are getting him at his peak!)

ya but that's because Minnesota didnt use Ortiz enough. I know, sometimes it takes a while but more often than not when it takes that long nothing ends up developing. Plus, the idea of our cathers being Alomar/Davis/Burke is sickening

Yes sir. If Davis does nothing over his first two weeks, I'd go back to the trading market for a catcher.

With all this salary being added, why not Jason Kendall?!

This might make you feel better ...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

It doesn't hurt that manager Ozzie Guillen, a fellow native of Venezuela, is one of the right-hander's closest friends. But for Garcia, friendship has very little to do with what happens on the field.

"When we are on the field, that's all business," Garcia said. "They've got a pretty good team. With how they are playing right now, they've got a good chance to make the playoffs."

Williams believes there's a good chance in retaining Garcia as a free agent after this season, with the help of Guillen and a few other pieces of inside information that the White Sox general manager did not divulge. He also mentioned that if a move is out there that still will improve his team, then the maneuvering has not come to a close.