I feel terrible for Olivo

CubsSuck1

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1830535

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox acquired All-Star pitcher Freddy Garcia from the Seattle Mariners on Sunday, bolstering their rotation for the AL Central race.

The White Sox gave up young catcher Miguel Olivo, top prospect Jeremy Reed and minor league infielder Michael Morse in the trade. Chicago also gets catcher Ben Davis and cash from the Mariners.

"It's hard for me to leave," Garcia said. "I do love playing here."

The White Sox were not the only ones interested in Garcia. The New York Yankees had been scouting him for several weeks. The Mariners called New York general manager Brian Cashman on Sunday and said they were prepared to trade Garcia, then called him back and said they had an offer they didn't think could be topped.

"We couldn't match that deal," Cashman told the Associated Press, adding that New York's prospects were not as close to being ready for the major leagues as Chicago's are.

Garcia, who can become a free agent after this season, will pitch for White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, one of his best friends.

"You've got to be a professional. Everybody knows he's my friend, but I want to do business," Garcia said. "I'll go there and pitch the way I can pitch."

Garcia was 4-7 with a 3.20 ERA in 15 starts for last-place Seattle this season. The two-time All-Star is 76-50 in his six-year career with a 3.89 ERA.

"We have an opportunity to challenge for the division in a better way," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said.

The 25-year-old Olivo, who is batting .270, hit his seventh homer of the season off Cubs right-hander Greg Maddux on Sunday. He has good speed and a strong arm.

Olivo was too upset after the game to comment, a team spokesman said.

"It was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had with a player," Williams said.

"We had to make a tough call today, but ultimately we had to decide whether or not it was in our best interests to get a top end of the rotation guy or hang on to a little bit of our future. As you all know, it's been a long time here in Chicago since we've done anything special in the postseason," Williams told ESPN Radio on Sunday night.

"We're just not looking at Freddie for this year. Hopefully we can sign him to an extension and he can be part of our future as well."

Garcia, 27, was one of the top pitchers available on the trade market. The right-hander should help solidify a rotation that already includes Esteban Loaiza, who won 21 games last season, and Mark Buehrle.

"I'm really glad to have him, but we are going to lose one of my favorite players in Olivo," Guillen said. "Hopefully, when Freddy comes to town, he can help us to do what we want to do. We picked up some good players.

"Right now we have a good pitcher who can hopefully help us a lot. There is a lot of pressure on Coop [pitching coach Don Cooper] and myself. We have to win."

The White Sox have struggled with their No. 5 starters all season. Jon Rauch's win over Cleveland last week was their first from that spot after eight losses.

No. 3 starter Scott Schoeneweis is on the disabled list with a sore elbow, and Buehrle has been hit hard in his last two starts.

"It caught me by surprise. I know we've been trying to get another pitcher in here, but I never thought Miguel was going to be the one who's going to go away," White Sox shortstop Jose Valentin said.

"When you try to get something good, you have to pay the price and give something good away, too. It's a good trade for us, and we'll see what happens."

After beating the Cubs 9-4 on Sunday, the White Sox were just a game behind the first-place Twins in the AL Central.

Garcia is scheduled to make his first start for Chicago on Wednesday at Minnesota.

"They'll get a good pitcher," Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi said. "Freddy came into spring training very, very focused. He has maintained his focus under a very, very tough situation. There were a lot of rumors. He's dealt with those well."

Without Olivo, the White Sox will use Sandy Alomar Jr., Jamie Burke and Davis behind the plate.

"Ultimately, the decision I had to make was were we better positioned with Freddy Garcia on our roster or Miguel Olivo on our roster, and not just this year but hopefully for future years, as we have every intention of trying to sign Freddy to a long-term deal," Williams said.

"There's no doubt that he was the guy that was the most coveted on the market."

Davis has split time this season between Seattle and Triple-A Tacoma. He appeared in 14 games with the Mariners and batted .091.

Left-handed starter Jamie Moyer could be the next to go for the punchless Mariners, who are 12½ games behind first-place Texas in the AL West.

Seattle didn't want to lose Garcia without getting anything back for him, and was looking for some young talent with offensive potential.

The 23-year-old Reed has eight homers and 37 RBI as an outfielder for Triple-A Charlotte. He was drafted by the White Sox in 2002 and is a career .334 hitter in the minors. Morse was batting .287 at Double-A Birmingham.

"Today we made what we think is a good deal for us," Bavasi said. "The White Sox made a good deal. It puts them ahead in their division, as far as personnel and trying to win that division."

after the game strolling back to my car I saw a friend at a post game tail gate and he told me the news and I was stunned - I thought we were set at catcher for a loooooonnnnnnngggggggg time -

I was so stunned, I said, "we gave up Olivo?" and then couldn't talk myself after that for a while

and then I said if I were GM I'd never trade anyone because I like all of our players too much to trade them away

I hate like hell to lose Olivo

it was a hell of a good trade - you got to do what you got to do and this was not the first time Olvio has been traded and may not be the last -

when I was a kid my best bud was the son of a cubs player who got traded to the Sox and then got traded out west - it hurts to lose someone to a trade -

it is baseball and baseball is a business and I am going to give Olivo a standing O next time we see him in two weeks and after applauding him I will cheer for Garcia and all of our pitchers to shut Olivo down and out all weekend -

I will always follow his career and wish him well against everyone but us

this was a good trade and to get quality you have to give up quality - the Navaro for Eldred/Valentin trades happen only once a decade or less

after the game strolling back to my car I saw a friend at a post game tail gate and he told me the news and I was stunned -  I thought we were set at catcher for a loooooonnnnnnngggggggg time -

I was so stunned, I said, "we gave up Olivo?" and then couldn't talk myself after that for a while

and then I said if I were GM I'd never trade anyone because I like all of our players too much to trade them away

I hate like hell to lose Olivo

it was a hell of a good trade - you got to do what you got to do and this was not the first time Olvio has been traded and may not be the last -

when I was a kid my best bud was the son of a cubs player who got traded to the Sox and then got traded out west - it hurts to lose someone to a trade -

it is baseball and baseball is a business and I am going to give Olivo a standing O next time we see him in two weeks and after applauding him I will cheer for Garcia and all of our pitchers to shut Olivo down and out all weekend -

I will always follow his career and wish him well against everyone but us

this was a good trade and to get quality you have to give up quality - the Navaro for Eldred/Valentin trades happen only once a decade or less

cw, how do you do it? You are a wizard of the word.

You summed up exactly how I feel on this whole situation. In fact, I think you sum up what everyone thinks about this.

I think this is the post of the week right here! :cheers

Being traded is part of the game.

I am sure Olivo will take it like the man he is and go to Seattle, put that smile we saw so often on his face for the great Seattle baseball fans and perform.

I really hate losing him, I think he's one of the top 5 catchers in the AL right now, but in order to acquire a front line starter, you've got to give.

Great post CW

Being traded is part of the game.

I am sure Olivo will take it like the man he is and go to Seattle, put that smile we saw so often on his face for the great Seattle baseball fans and perform.

I really hate losing him, I think he's one of the top 5 catchers in the AL right now, but in order to acquire a front line starter, you've got to give.

I know Olivo will take it like a man. He will meet his new teammates and they will grow. He will become one of the league's best catchers, and by the time FA rolls around for him, there will be teams lining up to sign him.

Above average power, decent bat, decent basestealer, cannon for an arm, and very likable? Sounds a little like a young Ivan Rodriguez almost.

Given, I do not think he will be the next IRod. I think he'll come up just a bit short, but will draw comparisons to him.

We gave up a good one. I can only hope the franchise has enough common sense to realize how good he is and that if he become a FA, they consider going after him. If Olivo is like I think he is, he will be a man about the whole situation and will put these feelings behind him. He's a hell of a good young player to build a franchise around.

I am honored and humbled that what I posted was expressive for others as well and I am grateful for the kind words, thank you, thank you

Don't get all touchy and soft on us now. :nono

Ah, hell, I'm touchy and soft right now...trade Big Mo with no signs of it at all.

So you're welcome! :D

No way.

If the game is on the line, I will cheer for him to fail.

But once Sox build a big lead, then I want Miguel to smack a couple of homers to oppostie field and pick some slack-jawed yockel off a base for good measure...........

Sox HAVE to be shown that it's NOT alright to give up the future for a player who could have been had earlier for less if only they were willing to spend a Mill more. Maybe once Olivo puts up I-Rod numbers (not talking about 2000 season), but with much better speed and pitcher-handling, and Sox fans are stil super-PO'd about him not being in the Black and White, maybe then our management will think twice before trading another highly talented if raw young player just to save a couple of Mill.

No way.

If the game is on the line, I will cheer for him to fail.

But once Sox build a big lead, then I want Miguel to smack a couple of homers to oppostie field and pick some slack-jawed yockel off a base for good measure...........

Sox HAVE to be shown that it's NOT alright to give up the future for a player who could have been had earlier for less if only they were willing to spend a Mill more. Maybe once Olivo puts up I-Rod numbers (not talking about 2000 season), but with much better speed and pitcher-handling, and Sox fans are stil super-PO'd about him not being in the Black and White, maybe then our management will think twice before trading another highly talented if raw young player just to save a couple of Mill.

Wait. Aren't you the same Brando that's been literally SCREAMING that the Sox need to trade for a good pitcher?

The young man homered in his final game with the White Sox.

That kid has a very bright future. And he won’t forget that it all started here in the south side of Chicago.

7028.jpg

He also homered in his first at bat as a WS. Nice bookends.

It takes quality to get quality and MO is going to be around for another 10 years with a couple AS apperances.

Within a year, Olivo jerseys will start popping up all over Seattle.

He's got a great future and he's a great guy as well.

I will cheer for him too, until the game begins. Then he's just another player on the wrong team. Won't boo him, but won't cheer for him during the game either.

But I hope he DESTROYS everyone else he plays against!

Wait.  Aren't you the same Brando that's been literally SCREAMING that the Sox need to trade for a good pitcher?

Seattle was holding out for certain talent (Reed). Had nothing to do with the Sox not wanting to acquire him earlier.

Seattle has all along wanted a good young catcher in any Garcia deal. That's why the Yankees and Dodgers were finalists, they both have stud catching prospects.

Olivo was a given, Reed made the deal work.

Wait.  Aren't you the same Brando that's been literally SCREAMING that the Sox need to trade for a good pitcher?

For the Nth time.....

I am very happy with the Garcia part of the deal.

I am not very happy with the Olivo part of the deal.

I think after Diaz bombed in Cleveland 3 days before Sox were to go into the

huge series in the Metrodome, Garcia should have been acquired. That was before Rauch got exposed against Anaheim and lost his (then) solid trade value. That was before Cotts was demoralized in the Twins series and couldn't get anybody out for next 3 weeks........I believe Reed + Rauch + Morse or some variation thereon would have gotten it done at that time. Two former 'Players of the Year' plus a power-hitting SS or maybe a guy like Spidale in his place, etc? Not a great package but very solid - WAS solid at that time anyway.

Sure, Sox don't get any cash in that deal and are into Garcia for another 1.4 Mill (5 extra weeks of service) but the point is that Big Mo STAYS and continues to learn until Sandy's tutelage and is ready for his 2005 break-out, both offensively and defensively.

And those say speed doesn't matter in a catcher.....Do you think Ramirez hurries

and makes that error if Sandy is running and not Miguel? And on Ramirez's even bigger second error, Miguel took second, something that a slower catcher couldn't have done. That's 1 out/3 bases that Miguel gave you in 3 innings of one game. And he definately was safe on his SB attempt as replay showed. 4 bases.

Of the "available" pitchers, Randy Johnson is the only one I would have given up Big Mo for because Unit has the potential to shut down over-swinging teams like the Yankees and Red Sox (it's the D-Rays that would give him problems) and single-handedly raise our chances to win the Series. Unlike Freddy, Unit is unhittable on the road - and Sox could always clubber teams at home when Maggs comes back, whereas the ROAD is where our weaknesses are exposed wholesale.

Randy Johnson is also a MUCH bigger draw, both attedance, merchandising and media attention, than Freddy is - that's how you steal some of the Cub sunshine. You'd have him for next year as well - not sure how the deferred moneys situation is handled, though.

For the Nth time.....

I am very happy with the Garcia part of the deal.   

I am not very happy with the Olivo part of the deal.

I think after Diaz bombed in Cleveland 3 days before Sox were to go into the

huge series in the Metrodome, Garcia should have been acquired.  That was before Rauch got exposed against Anaheim and lost his (then) solid trade value. That was before Cotts was demoralized in the Twins series and couldn't get anybody out for next 3 weeks........I believe Reed  + Rauch + Morse or some variation thereon would have gotten it done at that time. Two former 'Players of the Year' plus a power-hitting SS or maybe a guy like Spidale in his place, etc?  Not a great package but very solid - WAS solid at that time anyway.

Sure, Sox don't get any cash in that deal and are into Garcia for another 1.4 Mill (5 extra weeks of service) but the point is that Big Mo STAYS and continues to learn until Sandy's tutelage and is ready for his 2005 break-out, both offensively and defensively.

And those say speed doesn't matter in a catcher.....Do you think Ramirez hurries

and makes that error if Sandy is running and not Miguel?    And on Ramirez's even bigger second error, Miguel took second, something that a slower catcher couldn't have done.    That's 1 out/3 bases that Miguel gave you in 3 innings of one game.  And he definately was safe on his SB attempt as replay showed.  4 bases. 

Of the "available" pitchers, Randy Johnson is the only one I would have given up Big Mo for because Unit has the potential to shut down over-swinging teams like the Yankees and Red Sox (it's the D-Rays that would give him problems)  and single-handedly raise our chances to win the Series.    Unlike Freddy, Unit is unhittable on the road - and Sox could always clubber teams at home when Maggs comes back, whereas the ROAD is where our weaknesses are exposed wholesale.

Randy Johnson is also a MUCH bigger draw, both attedance, merchandising and media attention,  than Freddy is - that's how you steal some of the Cub sunshine.    You'd have him for next year as well - not sure how the deferred moneys situation is handled, though.

Brandofan

Stop talking out of your ass....I live in Portland and have followed the Ms on radio and TV all year.

They had NO Intention of making trades at that time ....they wanted to still make a run at the division, because they felt people like Olerud, Boobe, Martinez would get back to form

Facts are only last week the decision was made that they are done for the year

Given there is NO other pitcher that is on the market to be traded, the Ms had all of the leverage.

Ms wanted Crede and Olivo....there is no way we could live with that since that would affect our chances of making a run this year

We have many more OFers in our system, and if this move wins us the pennant, I bet we make enough money down the stretch to get us to re-sign Maggs (which makes Reed expendable)

This team had to make this move ....for the sake of it's fans

The fans better show up now and sell the darn place out from now until the end of the year

Brando,

Problem is from everything that's been said, Seattle wanted a catcher. Olivo was who we had that would fit the deal.  They wouldn't have taken the deal you proposed.

That is correct. They were never looking at Rauch and a catcher was always needed to be included in the deal. I don't know what Brando is smoking to think that some version of Rauch/Reed/Morse would have been good enough to get Garcia. That was never the case. That is why this is said to have been a better fit than both the Yankees and Dodgers proposals, because our catcher is more ready than theirs.