what is this about?

cwsox

The Sox should look what the Dodgers did with Buerhle and give him something along the lines of 500 - 600 k.  They won't though, it will be in the high to mid 3's.  

The other guys won't make as much as Garland or at least I doubt they will.

I could have swore Mark was looking for CC money..? Which is a LOT more than $500K if I remember correctly. Although I've been so wrapped up in moving stuff the past 2 weeks I could be wrong.

Mark said that if the Sox had offered him the same deal the Tribe gave CC (4 years, $9M), he would have taken it. This was before last season, so who knows if he would still take that, but that's what he was looking for. The Sox can definitely afford that, so there's no reason why he shouldn't get it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's ours until 2006. In other words - he's not going anywhere. A long term deal in the terms they are talking about is only 3-4 years. At most, that keeps Mark here for one extra year. This isn't about how long Buehrle is going to be a ChiSox - it's about how much money he'll earn while he's here.

This isn't about how long Buehrle is going to be a ChiSox - it's about how much money he'll earn while he's here.

Well...yes and no.

True, he's here for a few more years regardless of how much we pay him.

BUT

If the Sox don't pay him what he's asking for (and quite frankly, what he's asking for is very fair), Mark will be unhappy and leave as soon as possible.

So while he's here no matter what, whether or not he's here later this decade is being affected by these negotiations.

If the Sox don't pay him what he's asking for (and quite frankly, what he's asking for is very fair), Mark will be unhappy and leave as soon as possible. 

So while he's here no matter what, whether or not he's here later this decade is being affected by these negotiations.

bingo.

Those assholes....I'm sure this means that Garland, Wright....etc...will all be making more than Buehrle.  Holy s***.  If Buehrle is pissed as hell at management right now....it wouldn't surprise me in the least. 

Our savior of the past two years is making slightly over the league minimum(if I'm interpreting this correctly).

Yeah, if Beurhle doesn't get a pay raise and fast, he won't want to stay. I mean a capable 20-Game winner should not be making less than 100,000 dollars a year. I'd be on the warpath if I was him.

2007 is waaay too far away for me to worry about.

By then the Sox will be working on their 4th consecutive world championship.

Who knows what the pitching staff will look like.

Yes, 2007 is a long ways away, but as an organization, the Sox need to be considering not only the present and immediate future, but the long-term picture of the franchise as well.

And while your optimism is nice, it is a bit overboard. 4th consecutive championship? Let's worry about 1 first.

I hope in 2007 our pitching staff is as follows...

Colon

Buehrle

Garland

Wright

Rauch

I'll let you figure out the reasons why.

That's not going to be our rotation in 2007.

No team keeps a 5 man rotation together for 5 years.

I understand a franchise has to keep in mind present, short term, and long term.

The problem is - you just don't know what's going to happen from year to year. Who knows - by some time in the middle of 2004 we could have Honel and Felix Diaz at the top of our rotation and Buehrle could be sent packing in a trade that lands us Vlad.

You just never know.

This Buehrle business just doesn't worry me. If they can't agree on a deal and the Sox renew him at 435,000 - well then Mark has to have another great year.

Going into 2004 - arb eligible off 3 awesome years - he'll make his money.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2007.

Sorry...can't do it - too far ahead. Is KW still here? Is Manuel? Does Reinsdorf even own the team anymore.

That's not going to be our rotation in 2007.

No team keeps a 5 man rotation together for 5 years.

I understand a franchise has to keep in mind present, short term, and long term.

The problem is - you just don't know what's going to happen from year to year.  Who knows - by some time in the middle of 2004 we could have Honel and Felix Diaz at the top of our rotation and Buehrle could be sent packing in a trade that lands us Vlad.

You just never know.

This Buehrle business just doesn't worry me.  If they can't agree on a deal and the Sox renew him at 435,000 - well then Mark has to have another great year.

Going into 2004 - arb eligible off 3 awesome years - he'll make his money.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2007. 

Sorry...can't do it - too far ahead.  Is KW still here?  Is Manuel?  Does Reinsdorf even own the team anymore.

Well, I know that's not going to be our rotation in 2007 -- but it would be good if it was. It would show that the team was doing well (teams only stay together when they're winning), and would show that the pitchers have developed like we're all hoping they will.

That said, if Mark has to make his deserved money in arbitration, it's going to hurt the chances of him being here for very much longer. The reason for that is in arbitration, the goal of both sides is to prove the other side wrong. The Sox will come in and say what Mark did wrong, and Mark will come in and say what he did right. It's not a good process for either party.

Hopefully they can sign him to a contract somewhere in the vecinity of 4 years, $12M. That'd be fine with me, and I think most Sox fans would agree.

And in reference to all of your questions about 2007, all I have to say is this. The only certainty I have about 2007 is that I will still be a Sox fan -- PROVIDED that management shows a desire and commitment to winning. It starts with the signing of Mark to a long-term deal.

When Mark is arbitration eligible, the Sox cannot take such a hard line approach. They may be able to come to some sort of agreement, even if it is only for one year at a time. If, after the 2005 season, Mark is still healthy and the ace he has proven himself to be, then the team can try and sign him to a multiyear deal and tie him up till 2008 or so. That would work, and it would make more sense financially for the Sox to take that approach. Let's say Mark blows out his arm in July of 2004... and the he has a contract that pays him $6Mil in 2005 and $8Mil in 2006, and that keeps the team from going out and getting someone like Colon. We'd all be screaming how stupid JR was for signing MB to such a long term deal.

Good News; Sox have re-opened talks for a Long Term Deal with Mark Buerhle.

where did you hear that - and it is good news - it would be great to have all the loose ends tied up before the season so no one will be distracted or distractable by other stuff

In a long term deal, I think Buehrle wants 4 years, not 3. It think it is more about years than $$.

If the multi-year deal doesn't happen, then he will likely settle in around $430k - $450k. I personally think that is too low, but the Sox are saying they are keeping him in line with the $425k Maggs got at the same point. To me, not counting somewhat for the $100,000 raise in the minimum makes it a raw deal. None of us were at the bargaining table last year with the player's union either, so perhaps this is fallout from those negotiations?

To contradict myself, I have noticed that other teams are doing some of the same things. There was an article in a MN paper that the Twins policy is that if a player and the team cannot come to an agreement on a contract, the Twins automatically chop $10,000 off their previous offer and renew the contract automatically. So basically, by not accepting the team's offer, they lose ANOTHER $10k.

There was another article in the USA Today, I believe about other teams renewing contracts of young players at lower rates than expected. Plus (as was posted on here yesterday) the Yankees renewed Soriano at $800k (made $630k last year), only a 27% raise. For a guy with his numbers to get only a 27% raise, perhaps it is not just the Sox that are playing hardball.

Guest hotsoxchick1

where did you hear that - and it is good news - it would be great to have all the loose ends tied up before the season so no one will be distracted or distractable by other stuff

have not heard officially on that one yet but asked..........

I read somewhere that the Sox were going to renew MBs contract at $430K, and then held off on doing it so they could try again at negotiating a long term deal. They'll have to get something done by March 11th or renew the contract at that point.

I read somewhere that the Sox were going to renew MBs contract at $430K, and then held off on doing it so they could try again at negotiating a long term deal.  They'll have to get something done by March 11th or renew the contract at that point.

You hit it on the head. My guess is that if they come close to a long term deal and negotiations go well, but they don't get it done, then they may agree to a one year deal a little higher than the $430k. Just a thought.

Have you heard anything regarding WHAT the terms for such deal are looking to be? I'm thinking that a great contract would be six to seven years, with tons of incentives (for years he wins 20+ games, and/or accomplishes awards such as Cy Young). Give him a contract for $4-$5/year, and add incentives accordingly.

It would be good to get this settled so all of us fans can stop worrying about it.  :lol:

My feeling is that the deal won't happen....the Sox definately decided to give it one final shot, but I think the two camps are too far apart...I think the the problem is that the Sox take an historical perspective on how they've dealt with these issues in the past and are looking at the long-term organization strategy the want to maintain while Jeff Berry, Buerhle's agent is looking at what others organizations are paying players now....

...I heard that they have turned down a 3 year, $9mil offer from the Sox and that the Sox may sweeten the pot before Tuesday....don't know if it will be enough...

...let's hope it is...