Shoe odd man out?

DBAHO

Interesting article from the Daily Southtown,

MINNEAPOLIS — Scott Schoeneweis' future in the White Sox's starting rotation might be in Felix Diaz's hands — or, to be more precise, in Diaz's right arm.

Pitching coach Don Cooper said Tuesday that under one scenario, Schoeneweis could be a third left-handed reliever when he comes off the disabled list. Diaz can make that a stronger possibility by pitching well vs. the Cubs on Saturday.

After designating Vic Darensbourg for assignment Tuesday, the Sox are down to two southpaws in the bullpen, Damaso Marte and Neal Cotts.

"(Diaz) will show us if that's the move," Cooper said. "Nothing would please me more if we will have to face a tough decision on what to do.

" 'Schoeny' doesn't deserve to be demoted, because he has done well and he just hit a little spell with injury. But we have to look at what's best for the team. Egos have to be put aside in every decision the rest of the way, and they have been this year.

"We have to say, 'What's best for us? What makes us a better club?' That's going to be a decision further down the line. Hopefully, it will be a real, real difficult one."

Schoeneweis (5-6, 4.36 ERA) went on the DL, retroactive to June 22, because of left elbow inflammation. He lost five of his last six starts before going on the DL, allowing four or more runs in five of the six games.

Diaz became a South Side hero overnight for beating the crosstown rival Cubs last Saturday. In his third major league start, he allowed three runs on six hits in six innings, fanning two and issuing just one walk.

The performance earned Diaz a second start against the Cubs.

"The way it looks right now, Diaz will start that game against the Cubs and Jon Rauch will be in the bullpen until further notice," Cooper said. "A decision will have to be made when (Schoeneweis) comes off (the DL)."

Also found this in another article about Freddy Garcia,

There is speculation the Sox could soon have some more news regarding Garcia, who is eligible to become a free agent after this season. The team would like to sign him to an extension, and Garcia said a new contract has been discussed.

"Whatever happens right now — they're talking," Garcia said. "We'll see."

That's a lot of premature speculation. It may come to that, and I hope Scott takes the team first attitude, but we don't know if Diaz is going to be able to carry that load yet. One good outing does not a starter make.

I totally disagree with Scho losing his job. Unless he comes back and pitches like crap, it is Scho's job as far as I am concerned. Diaz had one good start and two horrible ones. Scho has pitched great in April and May and didn't slow down until his elbow started bothering him.

I don't agree with that philosophy at all. Scho needs to be given plenty of starts before his job is gone. You don't lose your job to a rookie that looked good once thus far.

I asked about Schoe going to the pen last week or so, and asked how he would be used, etc, if he ended up there. I remember jason saying something like "be very afraid if he goes to the pen" because of his attitude problems and stuff, and his history of that in Anaheim. Just thought i'd throw that in there.

I'm not too concerned about Scho losing his starting spot; I feel it'll be his when he comes back. However, I hope Diaz does continue to make this a tough decision for the team.

I love the news I continue to hear about us already into contract talks with Freddy Garcia; if we get him signed, we have won this trade.

I totally disagree with Scho losing his job.  Unless he comes back and pitches like crap, it is Scho's job as far as I am concerned.  Diaz had one good start and two horrible ones. Scho has pitched great in April and May and didn't slow down until his elbow started bothering him.

I'm pretty miffed about this as well. It should be Schoney's job to lose.

I'm pretty miffed about this as well.  It should be Schoney's job to lose.

Let's see what happens Saturday. Plus, is there any word yet about Shoe's rehab? Is he on schedule to come off the DL?

Having a plethora of capable starting pitchers is not a problem we had a week ago and unless Diaz and Rauch repeat last week's performances, it still isn't one of them. Let's just wait and see what happens.