Did anyone catch baseball tonight last night??

baddoz11

On last night's baseball tonight, Peter Gammons was giving his predictions on playoff teams....He came up with the Angels, Yankess, and the White Sox...for the wild card he said it was between Oakland and Minnesota. Not only that but he picked the White Sox to win the World Series. That got me to thinking...Are all the pieces there or do we need to make another big pickup?? Please post some thoughts.

On last night's baseball tonight, Peter Gammons was giving his predictions on playoff teams....He came up with the Angels, Yankess, and the White Sox...for the wild card he said it was between Oakland and Minnesota. Not only that but he picked the White Sox to when the World Series. That got me to thinking...Are all the pieces there or do we need to make another big pickup?? Please post some thoughts.

I would like to see another arm in the bullpen as I don't trust Adkins, Rauch, Jackson, or Cotts with the game on the line. It would be nice to have another starter, although I don't think that is completely necessary as you usually go with your top 3 in the playoffs. A left handed bat in the lineup would be nice as well, maybe a solid #2 hitter..

If the playoffs were New York, Texas, Anaheim, and us, I like our chances. Of that group, we have the best 3 starters, the best line-up, the best or tied for the best 8th inning guy, and the best or tied for best closer. Our defense is pretty solid in that group, too.

On last night's baseball tonight, Peter Gammons was giving his predictions on playoff teams....He came up with the Angels, Yankess, and the White Sox...for the wild card he said it was between Oakland and Minnesota. Not only that but he picked the White Sox to when the World Series. That got me to thinking...Are all the pieces there or do we need to make another big pickup?? Please post some thoughts.

Ya, I think another pickup or two would be very nice. I'd still like another starter, potentially a left handed bat, and of course another bullpen arm or two.

By the way, welcome aboard :cheers

If the playoffs were New York, Texas, Anaheim, and us, I like our chances. 

Of that group, we have the best 3 starters, the best line-up, the best or tied for the best 8th inning guy, and the best or tied for best closer.  Our defense is pretty solid in that group, too.

Of that group:

Best 3 starters: Yankees

Best line-up: Yankees

Best 8th inning guy: Yankees

Best closer: Yankees

Best defense: Yankees (all four have s***ty defensive outfields)

200 million dollar payroll?

But I don't care much for money, because money can't buy me love. ;)

Of that group:

Best 3 starters:  Yankees

Cut it out, you're gonna be called a CLOSET YANKEE FAN if you keep that up!!!

Right now, I'd be happy just to win the division and go from there.

Cart before the horse and all that....

Peter Gammons is a jackass, by the way.

Always has been, always will be.

He probably thought he was being asked about the RED Sox...

Of that group:

I don't agree with any of this.

Of that group:

3 Starters: Sox or Yankees (depends solely on if the Yanks are healthy and if/when they add another st arter)

Lineup: Sox (have been outproducing the Yankees so far this year without Ordonez)

8th Inning Guy: Marte is more consistent than Gordon

Closer: I can't believe someone suggested Shingo was equal to Mariano

Defense: Probably not even an issue, all of those defenses are mediocre at best, but probably the Yankees if you are talking strictly IF and turning DP's. Especially after they add Bret Boone.

Tim Kurtchick (I don't know how to spell his last name) said on Mike and Mike this morning that the Sox starting three was the most solid in the American league at this point. Of course this is due to injuries of pitchers to other teams.

Of that group:

The starters may be a push with ours, but with the loss of Pettite and Clemens, they really lose a lot of their "unbeatable playoff mystique."

Our line-up has produced more runs than theirs without being touted as the "best line-up ever assembled in the history of the world ever".

I'd definitely take Marte over Gordon, actually. He's younger and Gordon has had some injury history. Marte just has some sick-stuff.

I suppose if I had to put one guy in to close the ninth inning of the World Series if my life depended on it, that guy would be Rivera. However, I really don't think Shingo is that far back from him.

And as you said, neither defense is going to be much help. Our infield defense is probably comparable to theirs.

3 Starters: Sox or Yankees (depends solely on if the Yanks are healthy and if/when they add another st arter)

Lineup:  Sox (have been outproducing the Yankees so far this year without Ordonez)

8th Inning Guy: Marte is more consistent than Gordon

Closer:  I can't believe someone suggested Shingo was equal to Mariano

Defense:  Probably not even an issue, all of those defenses are mediocre at best, but probably the Yankees if you are talking strictly IF and turning DP's.  Especially after they add Bret Boone.

You're crazy, bro. Anyone who thinks the Sox have a better line-up or better Top 3 starters than the Yankees is not an educated baseball fan, IMO.

Vazquez, Mussina, and Kevin Brown are all 10 million dollar men. They put our top three to shame. I don't care if Brown is injured right now.

Their line-up has like 7 all star caliber players, and about four guys who will be in the hall of fame when all is said and done. Posada is just another in a long line of great Yankee catchers (Dickey, Berra, Munson, etc). Rodriguez, Jeter, and Sheffield will all be in the Hall Of Fame. And then you have Giambi, Matsui, Williams, etc.

The starters may be a push with ours, but with the loss of Pettite and Clemens, they really lose a lot of their "unbeatable playoff mystique."

Our line-up has produced more runs than theirs without being touted as the "best line-up ever assembled in the history of the world ever".

I'd definitely take Marte over Gordon, actually.  He's younger and Gordon has had some injury history.  Marte just has some sick-stuff.

I suppose if I had to put one guy in to close the ninth inning of the World Series if my life depended on it, that guy would be Rivera.  However, I really don't think Shingo is that far back from him.

And as you said, neither defense is going to be much help.  Our infield defense is probably comparable to theirs.

I agree with all your points and I definately think our infield defense is comparable to theirs, maybe even better. Konerko and Giambi is a push. I believe Uribe has the edge against whoever they throw out there. Crede is better than ARod at third base defensively. Jose is not that much lower than Jeter defensively if at all.

Who gives a s*** how many runs our lineup has produced in comparison to the Yankees. :huh

People need to stop living for the moment and start thinking loooooong range.

Who gives a s*** how many runs our lineup has produced in comparison to the Yankees. :huh

People need to stop living for the moment and start thinking loooooong range.

meaning you project the yankees to produce more runs throughout the entire season than our line-up?

I guess my point is that the Yankees have been beaten in the playoffs the past three years.

Two times they lost because they were outdeuled on the mound (Diamondbacks and Marlins).

The lost to the Angels in 2002, because that team was awesome.

Sure they're good, but they're not unbeatable. We've got all the pieces to put it together. Now it's just a matter for this team to do it on the field.

You're crazy, bro.  Anyone who thinks the Sox have a better line-up or better Top 3 starters than the Yankees is not an educated baseball fan, IMO. 

Im an eductaed baseball fan and I do like our lineup better than theirs...

We have out produced them so far this year, so where is it valid to call theirs better?

And our top 3.. I think they are better than their top 3

Vasquez, Mussina, and Brown Vs. Buehrle, Loaiza, and Garcia

And the only reason all thier pitchers are 10 Million Dollar men is because thats the only way the Yankees can get them, overpay (Except Brown, he was overpaid for by the Dodgers.. And he isnt even as good as he once was)

And the only reason all thier pitchers are 10 Million Dollar men is because thats the only way the Yankees can get them, overpay (Except Brown, he was overpaid for by the Dodgers.. And he isnt even as good as he once was)

Kevin Brown has had a horrendous history of injuries in the past. He's pretty damn good, but he's beatable.

meaning you project the yankees to produce more runs throughout the entire season than our line-up?

When you're scoring 15 on one night, and then 1 the following night, the statistics don't matter. You all know this, but this little 4 game winning streak has you all blinded by the light.

Bliiiiinded by the liiiggghhhtt

And a 4 game losing streak=chaos on this board. :unsure: Pure chaos. That's what I'm referring to when I mention living for the moment.

our top 3 are not even close to their (healthy) top 3. yes, when our guys are at their best, i think they can at least compare. but garcia's been erratic throughout his career--sometimes dominant, sometimes mediocre--buehrle's slipped some the past coupla seasons (though i still think his numbers'll improve this year), and we have no reason to think loaiza's '03 was anything but an aberration. that said, i'd be somewhat surprised if both brown and moose are healthy in october. but, then, i'd also be surprised if those jerk-offs don't add randy johnson or someone like that by then.

and yes, i also agree that just cuz parts of their team (or their entire team) are better doesn't mean we can't beat 'em in the playoffs. anything can happen there.

our top 3 are not even close to their (healthy) top 3. yes, when our guys are at their best, i think they can at least compare. but garcia's been erratic throughout his career--sometimes dominant, sometimes mediocre--buehrle's slipped some the past coupla seasons (though i still think his numbers'll improve this year), and we have no reason to think loaiza's '03 was anything but an aberration. that said, i'd be somewhat surprised if both brown and moose are healthy in october. but, then, i'd also be surprised if those jerk-offs don't add randy johnson or someone like that by then.

and yes, i also agree that just cuz parts of their team (or their entire team) are better doesn't mean we can't beat 'em in the playoffs. anything can happen there.

When healthy! That is a good one! That staff will never be completely healthy.