JUGGERNAUT

Ok to profile non-citizens?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Ok to profile non-citizens?

• YES - to both illegals & foreigners
    • YES - to only illegals
    • NO - to both
    • OTHER

This question applies to two recent events dealing with natl security.

The first is the use of UAVs to find illegals crossing the border.

When the border patrol started to use these recently hispanic communities where

up in arms that they were "profiling" hispanics in their routes. Now mind you these are illegals crossing the border. I don't think the border patrol had any idea of the political turmoil this would create. It seems to suggest that the Bush's idea of pushing illegals towards citizenship is not a bad one because if you can't even try to stop them from crossing over then how are you going to process them when they do?

The second event was the Guantanamo case. I agree that all prisoners should have some right to counsel within the military courts. I don't believe it should extend beyond the military court system & I feel it should be up to that system to decide whether such a case should be made public or private. However; I believe civilian American citizens should have a right to counsel & access to American court systems outside of the military. In otherwords I believe there should be a double standard for foreign & American prisoners on the basis of national security. I think domestic terrorism for the most part has proven to be loosely organized & less of a threat than foreign terrorism.