Jason Kendall

beck72

At first look, the Sox trading for a player owed $10 million in 2005, $11 million in 2006 and $13 million in 2007 seems way too steep. Even for a catcher who has career .305 avg., a .386 OBP, and a .419 SLG.

Yet if the Pirates can take on some of Kendall’s contract, the Sox would be well suited for the playoffs with a player of his caliber. Based on past reports, a deal could be made that would make Kendall’s contract more reasonable.

In January of this year, San Diego was on the verge of acquiring Kendall from the Pirates. The biggest hang up was the remaining $42 million owed to Kendall through 2007. ESPN reported that the Padres had wanted the Pirates to assume $25 million of Kendall’s remaining contract [60%]. That’s a huge chunk of change, especially for the Pirates. In the end, the Padres were the ones who backed off, not wanting to commit money to Kendall after they acquired Brian Giles.

Could the Sox get the Pirates to pay 30% of Kendall’s remaining $34 million for his 2005-2007 contract? Probably. That would slice off $10.2 million, with the Sox paying him an average of $7.9 million per year. Could the Sox add an additional prospect to the deal, and get the Pirates to pay 40%? Probably. That would slice off $13.6 million, making Kendall’s Sox salary $6.8 million per year for three years. $6.8 million contract, for an all-star catcher, who can hit leadoff, get on-base, has speed, and can hit tough right handed pitchers, especially the best pitcher the Sox most likely will face in the playoffs this year? Factor in the Sox don’t have any catching prospects near ready for the majors [this year’s high draft pick Donald Lucy is a few years away at least], and a deal would help the Sox win now and for the next few years.

Getting Kendall wouldn't cost a lot in terms of talent [Maybe Rauch, Ben Davis, a AA pitcher [maybe Arnie Munoz]. Its the money that's key. If the financial hurdles can be overcome, it makes sense. The sox would have a leadoff hitter who can hit tough RHP pitchers [Kendall has has hit .291 off LH and RH pitchers over the last 3 years, and hit over .300 off guys like Vazquez, Kevin Brown, Prior, Zambrano, Maddux]

Tell me, who wouldn't want Kendall leading off a playoff game instead of Uribe or Willie Harris?!

if KW was really serious about winning it this year i think this would push us over the top... but im guessing if he is going to do a trade with the pirates he is going to get a little more then just kendall i see benson a possibility especially with shoe b****ing

WE MIGHT AS WELL PACKAGE JAIME BURKE IF WE'RE GONNA DO IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW SANDY IS GONNA GET SOME GAMES WITH KENDALL THERE. IT WOULD DEFINETELY BE TO THE SOX BENEFIT

Woo there, big shooter...hit the caps lock next time. :)

yes, if the Sox could get him, i would think that Sandy's days of catching would be limited. But how is Kendell's game calling?

WE MIGHT AS WELL PACKAGE JAIME BURKE IF WE'RE GONNA DO IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW SANDY IS GONNA GET SOME GAMES WITH KENDALL THERE. IT WOULD DEFINETELY BE TO THE SOX BENEFIT

I'd rather not trade Burke, I think he's valuable to have off of the bench, especially if we get into double switch situations in an NL ball park...

I'd rather not trade Burke, I think he's valuable to have off of the bench, especially if we get into double switch situations in an NL ball park...

Plus i dont think they want him, he is getting kinda old for just making it into the majors.

if KW was really serious about winning it this year i think this would push us over the top... but im guessing if he is going to do a trade with the pirates he is going to get a little more then just kendall i see benson a possibility especially with shoe b****ing

I don't see Benson fitting. He isn't even an upgrade over SS.

how serious are the sox about winning this year??...getting kendall could be the key

With the uncertainty surrounding Maggs, going for it now is probably the way to go. Trading Olivo showed that they're serious about giving up a big part of their future to win now. All getting Kendall would cost is cash. With attendance up, a new media deal for next year, why not.

I can't see why this wouldn't work. Adding a guy like Kendall wouldn't subtract anything chemistry wise [ie, a trade of Maggs or Konerko, etc wouildn't be necessary]. Plus he'd be one of the few veterans locked in for a few years. With Uribe, Harris and Crede around, a few vets are needed for some certainty. Esp. a guy w/ Kendall's intangibles and style of play.

With the uncertainty surrounding Maggs, going for it now is probably the way to go. Trading Olivo showed that they're serious about giving up a big part of their future to win now. All getting Kendall would cost is cash. With attendance up, a new media deal for next year, why not.

I can't see why this wouldn't work. Adding a guy like Kendall wouldn't subtract anything chemistry wise [ie, a trade of Maggs or Konerko, etc wouildn't be necessary]. Plus he'd be one of the few veterans locked in for a few years. With Uribe, Harris and Crede around, a few vets are needed for some certainty. Esp. a guy w/ Kendall's intangibles and style of play.

good points...you sold me on the deal...now we just have to convince the chairman :lol:

good points...you sold me on the deal...now we just have to convince the chairman :lol:

He's been at the helm now over 20 years, getting up there in age, not many chances left to win it all, why not? That alone should convince him to open up the wallet a little.

He's been at the helm now over 20 years, getting up there in age, not many chances left to win it all, why not? That alone should convince him to open up the wallet a little.

there have been rumors flying around that thats exactly what he is thinking...keeping my fingers crossed

Kendall is the ideal #2 hitter. High contact, high OBP, but not a ton of speed.

I just don't see a better option leading off. Uribe is not a leadoff hitter(in fact, he is not a good #2 hitter either...he should be hitting 7th or so), Perez is not fast enough, Harris is tailing off, and Rowand doesn't seem fast enough(and seems better suited lower in the order). And we only have 1 or 2 spots for those 4. If we were to get Kendall, he'd almost have to leadoff.

Regardless, our lineup could look very dangerous...

Kendall - C

Lee - LF

Maggs - RF

Thomas - DH

Valentin - SS

Konerko - 1B

Uribe - 2B

Crede - 3B

Rowand - CF

.300 hitters on top and bottom, and all kinds of power in between. Also, Perez and Harris can get some playing time now and then too.

I've been among those looking for a top of the order guy, who could bat LH, who could hit tough pitchers. Yet a RH hitter who could hit them would be just as needed.

Looking at potential playoff opponents, the Sox might have to face guys like Kevin Brown, Javier Vazquez, or Curt Schilling. Kendall has faced these pitchers a lot, as they all came into the AL this off-season. Kendall has hit Brown the best [a .419 avg, 13 for 31, with a .455 OBP and .516 SLG], and Vazquez [a .318 BA, 7 for 22, with a .400 OBP, and .455 SLG]. Kendall has hit only .235 off Schilling [12 for 51], though he has hit 3 HR’s off him.

Kendall has done well against top right handed pitchers in the National League. Against guys like Roy Oswalt [.448 BA, 13 for 29]; Eric Gagne [.364, 4 for 11]; Mark Prior [.381, 8 for 21]; Greg Maddux [.341, 15 for 44]; Carlos Zambrano [.318, 7 for 22], Kendall’s more than held his own. He’s been a catalyst at the top of the order on weak Pirate teams where pitchers try not to let Kendall beat them.

Though Kendall bats from the right side, he hits both LHP’s and RHP’s equally well. This year, he’s hitting .346 with a .424 OBP vs. LHP and .311 and has a .387 OBP vs. RHP’s. From 2001-2003, Kendall hit .291 off both.

Kendall may not seem like a "sexy" pick up, but Sox fans would fall in love with this guy.

I've been among those looking for a top of the order guy, who could bat LH, who could hit tough pitchers. Yet a RH hitter who could hit them would be just as needed.

Looking at potential playoff opponents, the Sox might have to face guys like Kevin Brown, Javier Vazquez, or Curt Schilling. Kendall has faced these pitchers a lot, as they all came into the AL this off-season. Kendall has hit Brown the best [a .419 avg, 13 for 31, with a .455 OBP and .516 SLG], and Vazquez [a .318 BA, 7 for 22, with a .400 OBP, and .455 SLG]. Kendall has hit only .235 off Schilling [12 for 51], though he has hit 3 HR’s off him.

Kendall has done well against top right handed pitchers in the National League. Against guys like Roy Oswalt [.448 BA, 13 for 29]; Eric Gagne [.364, 4 for 11]; Mark Prior [.381, 8 for 21]; Greg Maddux [.341, 15 for 44]; Carlos Zambrano [.318, 7 for 22], Kendall’s more than held his own. He’s been a catalyst at the top of the order on weak Pirate teams where pitchers try not to let Kendall beat them.

Though Kendall bats from the right side, he hits both LHP’s and RHP’s equally well. This year, he’s hitting .346 with a .424 OBP vs. LHP and .311 and has a .387 OBP vs. RHP’s. From 2001-2003, Kendall hit .291 off both.

Kendall may not seem like a "sexy" pick up, but Sox fans would fall in love with this guy.

It's "sexy" enough for me! :cheers

I'm liking it more and more. Just do it baby!

Kendall is the ideal #2 hitter.  High contact, high OBP, but not a ton of speed.

I just don't see a better option leading off.

With Willie and Uribe coming back down to reality, the sox need a vet who could hit leadoff. There aren't many guys who could fit the bill, that wouldn't upset the Sox clubhouse or mean trading away players like Maggs or PK. Kendall still improves the Sox and would give them another guy with good baserunning speed.

With Willie and Uribe coming back down to reality, the sox need a vet who could hit leadoff. There aren't many guys who could fit the bill, that wouldn't upset the Sox clubhouse or mean trading away players like Maggs or PK. Kendall still improves the Sox and would give them another guy with good baserunning speed.

I agree. Harris is probably not a leadoff hitter(this year anyways), and Uribe is better suited in the 7th spot(lower OBP, decent average, good speed, decent power).

It would be like Alomar last year. He's ideally a #2 hitter, but in that lineup, led off. No big deal as far as I'm concerned...we damn near won a division with him leading off.

I don't see Benson fitting. He isn't even an upgrade over SS.

Benson is quite the upgrade over SS, at least IMO. Schoney lacks the pure stuff that most good pitchers have, and the good pitchers that don't have that stuff have impeccible control. Schoney has neither. To me, Schoneweis is a 4th starter at best, but most likely the 5th starter or a long man on a good/great team.

Benson on the other hand has some pretty damn good stuff when he wants to use it. This is all pure speculation, however I believe if Benson were actually motivated for once in his career (Pitt isn't that great a place to get hyped for games) that he'd show us a second gear he's capable of having. Everyone in baseball knows this guy possesses great talent, otherwise his name wouldn't come up in trades EVERY YEAR.

Now do I think it's worth it to go out and grab him? That all depends, however I'd be a bit scared as to who KW would trade. I'd rather him just grab another player or two in seperate deals so he can't overpay like crazy in one huge blockbuster deal. Add in the fact that we've already traded olivo, reed, and morse, and you can completely mortage our future with one bad blockbuster deal.

So in the end it all comes down to whether the price is right to acquire a guy who would be the best 5th starter in the AL. I think the team has more pressing needs right now (Bullpen Help, LH CF, Catcher) that it's better to use our chips on our bigger weaknesses. Simple right? Well let's hope so. However, to say Benson is not much better than SS...well that's an insult to Benson.

However, to say Benson is not much better than SS...well that's an insult to Benson.

Benson has done very little in his career to warrant KW giving up much talent. He deserves the insult, IMO.

My beef with bringing in another SP who may or may not be a big improvement over what the Sox have in SS, would also hurt the chemistry of the club. Garcia was no doubt a big improvement. Benson is a stretch.

If SS throws like he did to start the year, he deserves the spot. If he throws like he did his last 4 or 6, then he should get moved. It all depends on performance who gets the 5th spot--SS, Diaz or Rauch.

Benson has done very little in his career to warrant KW giving up much talent. He deserves the insult, IMO.

My beef with bringing in another SP who may or may not be a big improvement over what the Sox have in SS, would also hurt the chemistry of the club. Garcia was no doubt a big improvement. Benson is a stretch.

If SS throws like he did to start the year, he deserves the spot. If he throws like he did his last 4 or 6, then he should get moved. It all depends on performance who gets the 5th spot--SS, Diaz or Rauch.

I think Schoney blew the team chemistry argument right out of the water.

I think Schoney blew the team chemistry argument right out of the water.

It would take more than a newspaper interview, which could very well have taken SS out of context and misinterpret what he meant, to blow team chemistry.