Women's Tennis

This is probably going to sound sexist, but whatever, it's not. Women's tennis sucks. There is no depth in the sport. Only 6, maybe 7 or 8, can win a major right now. The same girls make it deep every year in every major. While I enjoyed Graf kick ass because she was just that good, Serena's game just doesn't do it for me. Men's tennis has more depth, and the 1 vs. 2 Roddick vs. Federer final is the 1st 1 vs. 2 I can remember in a men's major in a long time. I hope Federer wins because he is a joy to watch. Roddick is so boring, hit the ball hard and hope it doesn't come back.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably going to sound sexist, but whatever, it's not. Women's tennis sucks. There is no depth in the sport. Only 6, maybe 7 or 8, can win a major right now. The same girls make it deep every year in every major. While I enjoyed Graf kick ass because she was just that good, Serena's game just doesn't do it for me. Men's tennis has more depth, and the 1 vs. 2 Roddick vs. Federer final is the 1st 1 vs. 2 I can remember in a men's major in a long time. I hope Federer wins because he is a joy to watch. Roddick is so boring, hit the ball hard and hope it doesn't come back.

I disagree with u there Danman. Back in the 90's, women's tennis had no depth, only Graf and Seles were any good. Now you hav the 2 Williams sisters, the 2 Belgians Henin - Hardenne and Clijsters, Capriati, Davenport, and Sharapova. There are a lot of good young players as well.

tennis sucks... :ph34r:

I disagree with u there Danman. Back in the 90's, women's tennis had no depth, only Graf and Seles were any good. Now you hav the 2 Williams sisters, the 2 Belgians Henin - Hardenne and Clijsters, Capriati, Davenport, and Sharapova. There are a lot of good young players as well.

Then you're further making my point that men's tennis is far more interesting than women's tennis.

Then you're further making my point that men's tennis is far more interesting than women's tennis.

Yeah that was 10 years ago, now Men's Tennis is in a bit of a funk. Besides Roger Federer and Andy Roddick, there's no-one who will really challenge them over the next 5 years. Agassi will retire soon, Lleyton Hewitt is too inconsistent, and Coria and Nalbadian might win a French Open or two but that'll be it.

Yeah that was 10 years ago, now Men's Tennis is in a bit of a funk. Besides Roger Federer and Andy Roddick, there's no-one who will really challenge them over the next 5 years. Agassi will retire soon, Lleyton Hewitt is too inconsistent, and Coria and Nalbadian might win a French Open or two but that'll be it.

I think you are overrating Roddick. He is way too inconsistent. Get him off of grass and watch him get upset at the US Open.

tennis sucks... :ph34r:

That's probably because your fat uncoordinated A.D.D-riddled ass can't begin to meet the demands of the game.

Whenever I hear "tennis sucks" or "soccer sucks", I think "another cultural slave".

[/With all due respect]

You got more parity now - a brilliant Roger Federer aside.

Ferrero, Nalbandian, Coria, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin can all get on a hot streak and win a slam just like that.

Plus as soon as Agassi takes care of the hip, you figure he'll play in 2004-2005.

Never a big fan of women's tennis (Sabatini's ass aside), but you have to admit that Williamses, Henin-Hardenne, Clisters, Capriati, Davenport and a bunch of contenders like the Russian Seven, Mauressmo, etc made for some exciting matches in the last few years.

They're both fun as hell, really. My friends and I always play tennis at this park nearby. It's definitely not even close to being a cakewalk. We absolutely suck, but it's still fun. Soccer's really underrated in America too; I played in a league for a couple of years. I'm not sure what made me give it up. However, I still do watch soccer occasionally and I'm still into it. I love the Beasley's, being that they're both alums of my elementary, middle, and high schools. I also will catch a few soccer games at IU; that'll be kind of cool. They get decent crowds for that, IU actually just won the Division I soccer championship last winter.

It is kind of weird how America is with sports though. The whole world loves soccer, yet America really doesn't accept it. However, a mass of people (I, not included) enjoy watching Nascar, where people turn left for 4 hours.

Whatever. :huh

It is kind of weird how America is with sports though.  The whole world loves soccer, yet America really doesn't accept it.  However, a mass of people (I, not included) enjoy watching Nascar, where people turn left for 4 hours. 

Whatever. :huh

Absolutely agree, I mean when the Formula 1 was on in Indianapolis, it didn't even get a mention on SportsCenter, (any1 see Ralf Schumacher's crash, ouch). They're also talking about having a 2nd race there in the streets of Manhattan which would be pretty cool to watch. I get bored of watching Nascar on oval track in bout 30 secs, no offence. :o

You got more parity now - a brilliant Roger Federer aside.

Ferrero, Nalbandian, Coria, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin can all get on a hot streak and win a slam just like that.

Plus as soon as Agassi takes care of the hip, you figure he'll play in 2004-2005.

Never a big fan of women's tennis (Sabatini's ass aside), but you have to admit that Williamses, Henin-Hardenne, Clisters, Capriati, Davenport and a bunch of contenders like the Russian Seven, Mauressmo, etc made for some exciting matches in the last few years.

Ferrero - Has really dropped off this year. Thought late 2002 early 2003, he was really going to challenge, and he seemed to have overcome his phobia of not winning on any other surface other than clay. Seems to have gone backwards though.

Nalbandian - Very underrated, top 5 player easily. Can play on most surfaces, and might win a grand slam or 2, but I don't think he'll win more than that.

Safin - If you saw him in the Aussie Open, you could see he could beat anyone. Then you see him at Wimbledon and he didn't give a s***, and he quit.

Coria - Ok on hardcourts, great on clay, can't win on grass. He'll win 2 French Opens at least, anything else should be considered a bonus.

That's probably because your fat uncoordinated A.D.D-riddled ass can't begin to meet the demands of the game.

Whenever I hear "tennis sucks" or "soccer sucks", I think "another cultural slave".

[/With all due respect]

I was wondering when you were going to get into this topic. :D

Not a huge fan of soccer, but it's alright. I really have no interest in following soccer, but it is pretty fun to play.

Tennis is fun to watch though.

Here's a question to all though. In a mixed doubles match between Federer/Sharapova and Roddick/S. Williams, who wins?

Absolutely agree, I mean when the Formula 1 was on in Indianapolis, it didn't even get a mention on SportsCenter, (any1 see Ralf Schumacher's crash, ouch). They're also talking about having a 2nd race there in the streets of Manhattan which would be pretty cool to watch. I get bored of watching Nascar on oval track in bout 30 secs, no offence.  :o

Couldn't watch Formula-1 after Senna died in 1993. At 10 or 11, it hit me some kind of hard.

But I do remember how f***ing fun it was to watch him win in the Monaco Grand-Prix.

If they even do have it in Manhatten streets, it should be a blast - that's what REAL racing sport is all about.

I was wondering when you were going to get into this topic.  :D

Not a huge fan of soccer, but it's alright.  I really have no interest in following soccer, but it is pretty fun to play.

Tennis is fun to watch though. 

Here's a question to all though.  In a mixed doubles match between Federer/Sharapova and Roddick/S. Williams, who wins?

I love BOTH soccer and baseball - the two games have absolutely nothing in common but there is just so much beauty and awesomeness in either. :wub:

Of course soccer means very little to you because you're culturally predisposed to dislike it AND you can't built emotional connections with players/teams/nations all the way from childhood, can't appreciate the esthetics of it, the completely different tempo, rules and nuances - or even the history of the sport. That's understandable. Most of my friends are the same way with baseball and football - they don't understand it, don't want to understand it and will never appreciate either sport.

In any case, MLS soccer while not as bad as it used to be right after its inception is like minor leagues in terms of quality of play. Not the best place to start learning the game, to say the least. :lol:

I really don't like Andy Roddick and have been very high on Federer since at least 1999 juniors, so Masha (Maria) and Roge better win it. :headbang

I love BOTH soccer and baseball - the two games have absolutely nothing in common but there is just so much beauty and awesomeness in either. :wub:

Of course soccer means very little to you because you're culturally predisposed to dislike it AND you can't built emotional connections with players/teams/nations all the way from childhood, can't appreciate the esthetics of it, the completely different tempo, rules and nuances - or even the history of the sport. That's understandable.  Most of my friends are the same way with baseball and football - they don't understand it, don't want to understand it and will never appreciate either sport.

In any case, MLS soccer while not as bad as it used to be right after its inception is like minor leagues in terms of quality of play. Not the best place to start learning the game, to say the least. :lol:

I think you hit it on the head for the most part.

I really don't like Andy Roddick and have been very high on Federer since at least 1999 juniors, so Masha (Maria) and Roge better win it. :headbang

I dont like ARodd as much as I should considering he is American and I am American. I just think he is too full of himself, and while he is very good and very talented, he is, quite frankly, not the best in the world like Federer is.

However, I did not watch the Sharapova-Williams match - in fact, I have not seen Sharapova play at all - so I can't comment fully on what I think would happen. I just know that the Americans would be superoir in serving, and that the Russians would be superior in the return game.

I think, at the very least, it would be an interesting match to watch.

I think you hit it on the head for the most part. 

I dont like ARodd as much as I should considering he is American and I am American.  I just think he is too full of himself, and while he is very good and very talented, he is, quite frankly, not the best in the world like Federer is. 

However, I did not watch the Sharapova-Williams match - in fact, I have not seen Sharapova play at all - so I can't comment fully on what I think would happen.  I just know that the Americans would be superoir in serving, and that the Russians would be superior in the return game. 

I think, at the very least, it would be an interesting match to watch.

f*** RoboRoddick. That is all.

You want to see some awesome tennis? Get a tape of Agassi-Sampras 2001 US Open Quarterfinal match. Or Federer-Roddick 2003 Wimbledon Semifinal.

As far as Serena losing to Sharapova at Wimbly, it was more the case of the former playing her B tennis and the latter playing WAY over her head. I still think Sharapova doesn't have the "genius" everybody ascribes to her and she'll probably be the next Davenport (not too shabby either) as opposed to the next Graff.

She'll also be Agassi's 3rd beard, er, wife but that's another story for another time. :lol:

But he doesn't take baths, so he could be an honorary Russian.

And two of the greatest returners of all time were American.....Connors and Agassi.

Federer got a cow from the Swiss, 1st time he won Wimbledon, this year he got a large horn. :lol:

Agassi was a great returner, probably the best, I always like Jonas Bjorkman's returns too when he was in the top 10 in the late 90's, great doubles player now.

Federer got a cow from the Swiss, 1st time he won Wimbledon, this year he got a large horn.  :lol:

Agassi was a great returner, probably the best, I always like Jonas Bjorkman's returns too when he was in the top 10 in the late 90's, great doubles player now.

Hey, your countryman Leyton could return, too....

Nothing beats the genius of Federer, though. If this gets lucky and avoids chronic back/knee/ankle/hip/elbow/neck/shoulder injuries and doesn't lose interest in the game like Venus and Agassi did in their prime, he has SPECTACULAR 7-10 years ahead of him.

Do you remember him destroying Sampras in the 2001 Wimbly? The last time Pete received such a beating on grass was in 1996 at the hands of the flukey Krajchek.