Any doubt as to why AROW needs to be in the lineup

I know most people refuse to blame the person who actually caused this loss and that is Ross Gload.

In my mind Ross allowed 3 runs to score:

1) He drops a fly ball allowing a runner to score from second base.

2) Corey Patterson hits a fly ball into the outfield, Timo who is better suited for RF doesn't have the range to get it and it falls into the Ivy for a double. Rowand has this ball easily.

3) Routine fly ball that Timo misplays only because he's used to being in RF. Ball drops and another run scores. AROW has this ball easily.

The reason this is Ross's fault is because if Ross isn't in the game this Rowand is in CF and Perez is in RF.

The plays are made and Loazia doesn't look nearly as bad as he did on paper.

Ross Gload needs to never play RF again... :puke

I'm sure the sox could have won two games in a row getting dominated by pitchers. :rolleyes:

The defense did not cost us this game, why bother dwelling on it... Just hope they got all of their defensive miscues out of their system like they did in the first series of last Cubs series.

The sox got outplayed in every phase of the game today. There's no reason to believe that one simple line-up change would have been the difference to victory.

I agree to some extent. Ross has shown in the Cubs games that he shouldn't be in right. I'm not sure why he started playing there, I thought he played 1st exclusively at Charlotte. I don't ever want to see him in right. This was especially painful because Rowand seems to be a better hitter and fielder, and that Ozzie just wanted to get another lefty in the lineup.

Just a followup, I'm not sure this switch alone would have saved the game. Loaiza was getting hit pretty hard, and they didn't do much against Zambrano. I just don't want to see Gload cost us any games we should win with his woeful fielding. It will be a mute point once Maggs comes back. Get well soon Maggs! :D

Rowand got completely clowned by Zambrano in last weeks game. There's no reason to think that he would have done any better today when Zabrano's stuff was even harder to hit.

Why pick on the only guy who actually did anything to today offensively. If it wasn't for gload this game would have been a shutout.

I agree with you Sox. That's why we can't make the Atlanta trade with Maggs. We'll really need him in the playoffs. If he goes, oh well, more money to spend signing pitchers. I'd rather have $14 mil to work with than that overrated overpaid oaf Jones.

Yes, there is. The Yankees have not won the series for the last few years, and they still have some problems on this team. Outside of Vasquez, their rotation is one big question mark. Theoretically Brown is good when he is healthy, but that never happens. Even when he was healthy his ERA was about 4.20, good but not exactly stellar. Mussina is starting to show signs of wear. Last time I looked, his ERA was about the same as John Garland's, who is our 4th starter. Not exactly what you want in the playoffs. Plus if any of their starters get knocked out early, they have real problems getting to Gordon or Rivera.

I didn't say Mussina was the same as Garland, I said he is performing about the same as Garland. Clearly Mussina is a bigger name and has a better history, and having a choice between the two for the rest of the season I would take Mussina. However, he is not having the greatest year, he isn't getting any younger, and the Yankees are depending on him heavily, especially with Brown hurting. I would rather face him than a lot of pitchers if I had the choice.

I can't believe Zambrano backed up his words.

He said something about how he couldn't wait

to pitch again vs. the Sox after the loss at Cell.

Hope we can come back in Game Two, but the Cubs

may be on a mission this weekend.

I know most people refuse to blame the person who actually caused this loss and that is Ross Gload.

In my mind Ross allowed 3 runs to score:

1) He drops a fly ball allowing a runner to score from second base.

2) Corey Patterson hits a fly ball into the outfield, Timo who is better suited for RF doesn't have the range to get it and it falls into the Ivy for a double. Rowand has this ball easily.

3) Routine fly ball that Timo misplays only because he's used to being in RF. Ball drops and another run scores. AROW has this ball easily.

The reason this is Ross's fault is because if Ross isn't in the game this Rowand is in CF and Perez is in RF.

The plays are made and Loazia doesn't look nearly as bad as he did on paper.

Ross Gload needs to never play RF again...  :puke

rowand would have not gotten to that ball hit by patterson in cf...no cf would have..the problem was for some reason we had timo in right center while we pitched patterson away..making it immposible for him to cover anything in the lc gap....

why rotate him to rc and pitch a lefty hitter away???..thats what screwed that up

timo might not be a good CF but neither is rowand...we do not have a legit CF on the roster...rowand was a left fielder throughout his minor league career...that's one reason why a jones / ortiz for ordonez trade might not be a bad idea...we would have an outfield of lee , jones and timo/rowand from left to right...all 4 of those guys would then be playing their natural positions

Why pick on the only guy who actually did anything to today offensively.  If it wasn't for gload this game would have been a shutout.

I agree

and what did the Sox have, 3 hits? Now how that is Gload's fault I don't know but I bet that had the most impact on the Sox losing today

I can't believe Zambrano backed up his words.

He said something about how he couldn't wait

to pitch again vs. the Sox after the loss at Cell.

Hope we can come back in Game Two, but the Cubs

may be on a mission this weekend.

He also got injured. Remember when I predicted he would be the next injured victim in the Cubbie Rotation Curse? Damn I'm a genius.. ;)

:fthecubs

On a mission my ass. There will be no sweep. We hit Maddux pretty hard last time, and not much has changed. Even if Diaz gets absolutely rocked, there's no way he can let up enough runs to affect Sunday's game, where they are screwed. Rusch is returning to his normal useless self, and I think everyone knows it but the Cubs and their fans. Buehrle vs Rusch will be a slaughter in our favor, Twins will lose at least 1 of 2 remaining with DBacks(Randy), Sox will still be in first after the series. :headbang

:fthecubs

On a mission my ass. There will be no sweep. We hit Maddux pretty hard last time, and not much has changed. Even if Diaz gets absolutely rocked, there's no way he can let up enough runs to affect Sunday's game, where they are screwed. Rusch is returning to his normal useless self, and I think everyone knows it but the Cubs and their fans. Buehrle vs Rusch will be a slaughter in our favor, Twins will lose at least 1 of 2 remaining with DBacks(Randy), Sox will still be in first after the series. :headbang

I agree as long as Gload doesn't start another game in RF.... :lol:

i swear jeckle first your pissing all over perez and then he makes you stfu and now rowand who almost had a grandslam and even after that still managed to hit a double you go and blame him for a loss.... whatevr you have for rowand that makes you hate everyone else that starts besides him get rid of it

baggio202 Posted on Jul 2 2004, 11:16 PM

we would have an outfield of lee , jones and timo/rowand from left to right...all 4 of those guys would then be playing their natural positions

I thought C Lee was an infielder(3b?) thrown into left? I don't know about everybody else, but getting rid of Maggs to pick up a CF that can't hit doesn't sound all that good to me just so we could have another #3 type starter. I want Mulder quality if we are going to lose Maggs' bat. And isn't Jones making almost the same as what Maggs is asking?

baggio202 Posted on Jul 2 2004, 11:16 PM

I thought C Lee was an infielder(3b?) thrown into left? I don't know about everybody else, but getting rid of Maggs to pick up a CF that can't hit doesn't sound all that good to me just so we could have another #3 type starter. I want Mulder quality if we are going to lose Maggs' bat. And isn't Jones making almost the same as what Maggs is asking?

yeah clee was a 3rd baseman by trade , thank God that changed :D

looking at the numbers over the last 4 seasons...

each guy has had 3, 100 rbi seasons..and just falling short of a 4th

jones has averaged 35 homers while maggs about 32-33

jones average about 275 while magges average about 313

lifetime OPS , 835 jones , 892 maggs

both guys used to steal bases but dont anymore

similar power and rbi numbers but maggs is a better all around hitter..defensively andrew jones is the best CF (its debatable , but he is up there) in the game..so does jones defense and russ ortiz pitching make up for the in offense between jones and maggs ???...if you say yes make the trade..if the answer is no then dont..

i guess there are other intangables too...like will trading a home grown all star have a negative effect on the fan base??...will it effect the chemistry of the team???

it a gamble i guess like any trade...if this deal does come available i hope we make the right move..God we are due for that to happen :D

There's a major difference between Jones and Maggs right now. Jones is hitting about .250 with 12 homers, and before Maggs got hurt He was batting .311 with 8 homers, in much fewer games. We can finally see that Jones isn't that great a hitter without the lineup around him. Guys like Bonds, Vlad, and Maggs can produce in any lineup(Yes, I know those other two are better hitters than Maggs, but I still believe this fact). Last year in the stretch where everyone sucked Maggs was about the only one hitting. And Jones isn't the defensive superstar he used to be. Hunter and Beltran are definitely much better, and Pierre and Cameron are probably better now. I don't think it is worth it for a guy that might make 2-3 more catches a week and might cause chemistry problems, and certainly not worth losing Maggs' bat.

Career wise, Jones has put up numbers very similar to Magglio. Who's to say that he doesn't just need a change of scene? Look at Richard Hidalgo of the Mets. He's been on fire since that trade and he was '03 Konerko-ish prior to it.

Career wise, Jones has put up numbers very similar to Magglio.  Who's to say that he doesn't just need a change of scene?  Look at Richard Hidalgo of the Mets.  He's been on fire since that trade and he was '03 Konerko-ish prior to it.

Since Jones' name has come up in possible trade rumors, he has started swinging the bat. I don't have the numbers, but he seems to be hitting. A case could be made that with the departures of Javy Lopez, Maddux, Sheffield, et al, the same motivation to win might not have been there. Who knows how the ATL brass treats Jones. A logical scenario is ATL would have loved to get rid of Andruw in the offseason, weren't quiet about it, and tried their best but couldn't deal him. But with a possible trade out of there now, Jones could be turning it on.

BTW-Jones hit his 23rd- 2B. Manny Ramirez has 28 doubles.