7/4 Games

danman31

I have no clue who De Los Santos is or what kind of prospect he is, but it is hard to ignore the fact that he is hitting .439 in 41 AB's at Bristol. It might be a mirage, but it is still worth noting.

Finally, can we please promote Rogowski?

De Los Santos is only 19, so he's definitely a real prospect. I think he's gonna be very good, and should get promoted to Great Falls by the end of the year, but probably not any further. I really think that Rogo needs to be promoted, too.

Also, it's nice to see Roberts continue to hit well, and Lucy have his first big game for Great Falls. And, it's good to see Bakker have a solid start, and Zaleski have another scoreless inning of relief.

Young's definately got a chance to be a 20-20 guy possible 25-25 if he can get on a HR tear.

I know that he can hit HR's and he's a speedster, but how is his D? Range and arm?

I'd say all of it is plus, although I'll give a better report after seeing him play a couple games next week :)

We all know I am looking forward to seeing him play.

Yeah, that is a pretty optimistic view on the Hamilton situation, but I just really like this guy after reading an article about him in ESPN The Magazine, and really want him to do well.  Anyway, he probably is done, but I just wanted to present the positive points of the Hamilton situation b/c he's really not that bad of a guy, he just made a few mistakes (His were just a little bigger and more in the spotlight than other people b/c of who he is).  Anything is possible, so he could still turn into a solid major leaguer, probably not All-Star like he probably could have been had he not gotten into the drugs, etc.

Everybody makes mistakes..... but I can't feel sorry for a guy who has his life handed to him at 18 years old and can't have the maturity to do the right things. That tells me there were character flaws there to begin with. He could have done anything he wanted, hung out with whoever he wanted, but he chose not to.

Then again, perhaps another argument could spawn from this about the insanity of giving an 18-year old millions of dollars, but that's another day.

Young's definately got a chance to be a 20-20 guy possible 25-25 if he can get on a HR tear.

I know that he can hit HR's and he's a speedster, but how is his D? Range and arm?

He's a five tool guy. And he's not a 20-20 guy, I can easily see him as a 30-30 guy, he just needs to work on not becoming the next Reggie Abercrombie.

I agree with your Anderson opinion. Like I have said many times, I am a U of A student and got to see him play in person about a dozen times, and it was clear that he had a ton of potential. The one thing I worried about was his strikeouts and overall plate disipline, but they haven't been a problem so far, and with that question answered positively, the sky is the limit. If I had to compare him to a major leaguer, than I would say Torii Hunter is the most accurate. Anderson isn't quite as good defensive, than again who is, but he is a very good defensive CF. He has a similar approach at the plate as Hunter. He has similar power potential(20+ HR's and 30+ 2B). He has similar plate disipline(40-50 BB 90-100 SO), maybe a little better. Anderson might hit for a slightly higher average(.270-.280 range). Both have above average speed, but aren't serious BS threats, although Anderson should be a double digit SB guy and could be a 20+ guy. Overall Anderson is a pretty complete player and the athlete that a one-dimensional offense like the Sox needs.

Some of my own personal notes:

LaMura has been pretty dominating since moving up to AA(17 IP 10 H 3 ER 3 BB 15 SO). He has always had a good arm, but never really put it all together. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

I have no clue who De Los Santos is or what kind of prospect he is, but it is hard to ignore the fact that he is hitting .439 in 41 AB's at Bristol. It might be a mirage, but it is still worth noting.

Another prospect to watch is Allen, the high school outfielder taken in this past draft. This guy has ton of potential, but is very raw. He could be an all or nothing prospect. If he realizes his potential, than he could be a star. If he doesn't, than you will probably never hear his name in the majors. There is little in between space.

As someone else mentioned, Schnurstein is really starting to heat up. He might be feeling the pressure with Fields being drafted in the 1st round. He was considered the Sox only legit 3B prospect with a clear path to the majors, but things have changed with the addition of Fields. It is nice to see him hitting again.

Does anyone have any info on this F Hernandez at Kannapolis? He has put up some impressive numbers so far.

Andy Gonzalez could be putting himself back on the prospect map. He has great plate disipline and good power potential, and has really hit well of late.

Finally, can we please promote Rogowski?

Please do not scare me like that again. Torii Hunter is so unbelievably overrated offensively that it makes me sick. BP was right saying that the Twins are very stupid to sign players to huge contracts after one big year (see Hunter, Mays, etc.)

I think it was right to move LaMura to the bullpen. Down at W-S, he easily had the best stuff in the starting rotation, but now since he's been moved to the pen in Birmingham he's been putting up spectacular numbers. Could be the second coming of Wyatt Allen, who knows?

Honestly, I see a lot of foreign names on the Bristol roster. Hence I don't know who the hell anyone is over there. :)

Please do not scare me like that again. Torii Hunter is so unbelievably overrated offensively that it makes me sick. BP was right saying that the Twins are very stupid to sign players to huge contracts after one big year (see Hunter, Mays, etc.)

I think it was right to move LaMura to the bullpen. Down at W-S, he easily had the best stuff in the starting rotation, but now since he's been moved to the pen in Birmingham he's been putting up spectacular numbers. Could be the second coming of Wyatt Allen, who knows?

Honestly, I see a lot of foreign names on the Bristol roster. Hence I don't know who the hell anyone is over there. :)

I was thinking the same thing. If his offensive potential is to that of Torii Hunter, then, uh, damn. I'm really placing high hopes on both of our OF draftees of 2003, Anderson and Sweeney. I really think we will see Anderson getting his feet wet at the major league level by September 2005 and have a chance to make the team in '06.

The more I hear about Anderson the more I think he is Reed all over again. Above average defensively, moderate stolen base threat, moderate power, projects to be a .270-.280 major league hitter. Reed had a better K/BB, but they are more similar than I thought.

Please do not scare me like that again. Torii Hunter is so unbelievably overrated offensively that it makes me sick.

I hope he meant "Torii Hunter of 2002" and NOT "Torri Hunter of the rest of his career".

860 OPS in a moderate pitcher's park (translates to 880-890 OPS at USCF) with 23 steals, only 7 CS? I'll take that from a good defensive CF'er ANY day, especially in any ROOKIE season day :) :headbang

With our future LF Reed gone, it makes Lee less expendable. Sox can't keep BOTH Maggs and Lee. That means Borchard or Anderson are gonna have to learn REEEEAAAL quick in 2005 and replace Maggs or Carlos withiout a significant offensive drop-off.

With our future LF Reed gone, it makes Lee less expendable.    Sox can't keep BOTH Maggs and Lee.    That means Borchard or Anderson are gonna have to learn REEEEAAAL quick in 2005 and replace Maggs or Carlos withiout a significant offensive drop-off.

Well said, I agree. The loss of Reed hurts because the future OF looks like s***. Anderson isn't ready and Borchard would be a rookie basically.

The more I hear about Anderson the more I think he is Reed all over again. Above average defensively, moderate stolen base threat, moderate power, projects to be a .270-.280 major league hitter. Reed had a better K/BB, but they are more similar than I thought.

One thing about Anderson is that he projects to have a good amount of power compared with Reed. Both have similar speed and other attributes though. I'm really starting to get very high on Anderson.

I think you underestimate Hunter offensively. Please tell me that you realize that Hunter has hit AT LEAST 30 2B, 25 HR, and 90 RBI the last 3 years. How many CF in the majors could claim those guade numbers over the past 3 seasons? I do think that Anderson will hit for a little better average(.270-.280 range). I think their plate disipline will be similar. Both have above average speed, but neither are big base stealers. Look for Anderson to be in the 15-20 SB range. Now tell me that a .270-.280/25+/90+ 30+ 2B 15-20 SB player is overrated and scares you(especially when he plays a defensive position and is above average defensively). I am sorry but you guy REALLY need to come back to reality. You guys(once again) are drasticly overrating the Sox prospects. If you gave me a choice of the above numbers(similar to a typical Hunter season) or the option of Anderson taking his chances and seeing what happens, than I would take the above numbers 10 out of 10 times(because 9 out of 10 times the prospect will never put up numbers similar to the once shown above). Odds are that Anderson will be LUCKY to consistantly put up the above numbers, and this is a concept that continually escapes your comprehension. Unless you are happy with the sub .700 OPS that the Sox CF have been putting up over the past couple of years, than I think it is fair to say that you need to pull you head out of your ass and understand what an improvement a CF that put up Hunter-like numbers would be. Anderson has the potential to be a star and put up better numbers, but odds are that Hunter-like numbers are much more realistic and Sox fans shouldn't complain if that is the case.

Actually, I think Anderson and Reed are completely opposite players. Reed is the type of player that doesn't have THAT MUCH natural talent, but his work ethic and hussle allow him to be a solid player. Anderson on the otherhand, has natural talent and potential coming out of his pores. Reed doesn't have a huge upside, and he is a what you see is what you get type of player, while Anderson's upside is amazing. Reed is an average at best defensive CF, with a so-so arm, who is better suited for LF. Anderson is a GG calibur defensive CF, with a cannon for an arm, who is a natural CF. I doubt that Reed ever consistantly tops the 20 HR mark, while Anderson could easily be a 30 HR type of guy. Both have above average speed, but Anderson is the better base runner from what I have seen and the stats(CS %). Reed is a guy with great plate disipline and will fit perfect at the top of the order. Anderson has questionable plate disipline(although it has looked solid so far) and will fit better in the middle of the order. When you look at it realisticly they are almost complete different players. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both putting up good overall numbers. Personally, I think Anderson will be the better major leaguer. I think some people overhyped Reed because of an impressive 200+ AB's at AA. He has come back down to earth to some degree this year, and I really think the healthy Mark Kotsay comparison is accurate for Reed.