Hot Dog muncher sets World Record

DBAHO

HE came, he ate, and he conquered ... again. Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi, of Japan, has downed a world-record 53-and-a-half hot dogs in 12 minutes at an annual contest in New York.

He blew away his rivals for the fourth year in a row.

The surprisingly diminutive 26-year-old "gurgitator" successfully retained the Mustard Yellow Belt – the World Cup of competitive eating – at the annual July 4 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating event in Coney Island.

Using his trademark "Solomon technique" – breaking the wieners in half before wolfing them down – Mr Kobayashi easily surpassed his own 50-and-a-half-dog record, which he set in 2002.

It was a one-two finish for Japan, with Mr Kobayashi's countryman, Noboyuki Shirota, taking the second spot after consuming a comparatively abstemious 38 hot dogs.

American Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas, weighing in at a mere 45kgs, placed third with a total of 32 dogs, shattering the women's world record.

She also managed to restore some pride to the host nation, which has had to cede its traditional dominance of the event since Mr Kobayashi burst onto the scene.

Ms Thomas, 36, only began competitive eating one year ago, but regularly out-devours men four times her size.

Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Competition has been held every year at Coney island since 1916.

I watched this today on ESPN.  This guy was amazing.  Kobayashi is thin as a rail and an absolute beast.  He smoked the 2nd place person in this.

Then they interviewed a bunch of Americans talking about how they were "going to win the belt back for America next year".

I saw this morning too. That guy is just a beast. That was great how they broadcasted it on ESPN this year; they f***ing analyzed it. :lol:

I can only eat about one before I start to get sick wondering what is in it... :lol:

I had two for lunch today, and I can still taste them (tastes good I admit)...I can't even imagine eating 53.5 :puke

I watched this today on ESPN.  This guy was amazing.  Kobayashi is thin as a rail and an absolute beast.  He smoked the 2nd place person in this.

Then they interviewed a bunch of Americans talking about how they were "going to win the belt back for America next year".

How the hell is it that every time I hear about an eating contest of some sort it's always some skinny dude that wins? You would think the fat slobs would have more storage space to pack it all in. :huh