College Football

Its about that time again. Summer practices, newspaper stories about the senior who finally wants some playing time, and of course new coaches trying to get their programs to buckle down.

Anyway, College football discussions are usually pretty spirited on this board and many colleges are represented. Go Blue! I'll be in section 37 again this year.

Predictions:

ACC: Florida State

Big East: West Virginia

Big Ten: Michigan

Big Twelve: Missouri/Texas-Texas

Pac 10: USC

SEC: Florida/Auburn-Auburn

Notre Dame: 7-4

FedEx Orange Bowl: Texas over Michigan

Hiesman Winner: Brad Smith, Missouri

Why I made my Picks:

FSU: Chris Rix is a Senior, Leon Washington is awsome.

WVU: Marshall/Harris/Henry is one of the best 1-2-3 combo's.

UM: Top Recieving Corps. should beat moderate schedule

Mizzou: Brad Smith

Texas: Young and Benson will outrun the Sooners

USC: Tons of Talent, weak conf., will lose to V. Tech in week 1

UF: Talent overcomes incompetent coach, UG loses to LSU, Auburn

Auburn: Campbell, Williams are Seniors and will beat LSU and UG

You guys are going to laugh at me, but Northwestern will have a really good team this year. They got a lot of returning starters. Sure the losses of Jason Wright and Kunle Patrick will hurt, but they have more depth offensively than defensively. They will have their entire lines on both sides returning from last year. That's huge in Big Ten football as you guys know. It's a battle in the trenches, one Northwestern has always gotten killed in due to inexperience. I'm not going to predict another Big Ten title for the Wildcats, but I will predict that they will be in the running. They should make a bowl and have a winning record in the Big Ten.

You guys are going to laugh at me, but Northwestern will have a really good team this year. They got a lot of returning starters. Sure the losses of Jason Wright and Kunle Patrick will hurt, but they have more depth offensively than defensively. They will have their entire lines on both sides returning from last year. That's huge in Big Ten football as you guys know. It's a battle in the trenches, one Northwestern has always gotten killed in due to inexperience. I'm not going to predict another Big Ten title for the Wildcats, but I will predict that they will be in the running. They should make a bowl and have a winning record in the Big Ten.

Rock on Dan! Rock on! :headbang :snr

Hopefully Noah Herron (sp?) will be ready to take the bulk of the carries, and Basanez can have a great year! Either way, I'll be cheering on the boys in purple and black all season!

Go Wildcats! :headbang

Its about that time again.  Summer practices, newspaper stories about the senior who finally wants some playing time, and of course new coaches trying to get their programs to buckle down.

Anyway, College football discussions are usually pretty spirited on this board and many colleges are represented.  Go Blue! I'll be in section 37 again this year.

Predictions:

ACC: Florida State

Big East: West Virginia

Big Ten: Michigan

Big Twelve: Missouri/Texas-Texas

Pac 10: USC

SEC: Florida/Auburn-Auburn

Notre Dame: 7-4

FedEx Orange Bowl: Texas over Michigan

Hiesman Winner: Brad Smith, Missouri

Why I made my Picks:

FSU: Chris Rix is a Senior, Leon Washington is awsome.

WVU: Marshall/Harris/Henry is one of the best 1-2-3 combo's.

UM: Top Recieving Corps. should beat moderate schedule

Mizzou: Brad Smith

Texas: Young and Benson will outrun the Sooners

USC: Tons of Talent, weak conf., will lose to V. Tech in week 1

UF: Talent overcomes incompetent coach, UG loses to LSU, Auburn

Auburn: Campbell, Williams are Seniors and will beat LSU and UG

wow Missouri?

All they have is Brad Smith, thats all they have had for the past 2 years and they havent gone anywhere...

K State or Nebraska will come out from there.... K State most likely

Hell yeah! Another Cats fan!! :headbang

Yeah - I went against popular opinion early on with liking the 'Cats. The lovefest for the Illini was too kissy/kissy ( :lol: ) for me, so I went with that other team from Illinois. Plus my father is a 'Cats fan, so, unlike the baseball preference, I went along with him.

Anyways - the Wildcats were the first team I actually followed real closely. Back in 1995 IIRC, when the Cats went down to Orlando for the Florida Citrus Bowl, my family and I followed them down there. Yeah - it wasn't pleasant, we happened to buy tickets right in the middle of the Tennessee section, so we got a lot of hillbilly yap about Payton Manning this, Payton Manning that. And of course, Payton dominated that game. :crying

But of course, that was a fun year. Darnell Autry was one hell of a back for the Cats.

And then I sort of stopped following them, till about 1999-2000 when Dwayne Bates, Napolean Harris, Zac Kustok, Damian Anderson, Pat Durr etc etc, among others, came along. And here I am today.

Well anyways - we got to get back to a bowl. Losing to Bowling Green left a sour taste in my mouth, but hopefully we can fly under the radar, like the Cats always do, and maybe even contend for the Big 10 Title.

Notre Dame at 7-4 huh...

Hmm lemme see:

9-4-04 at Brigham Young - WIN

9-11-04 MICHIGAN - (YEAH prolly an L)

9-18-04 at Michigan State - WIN (?)

9-25-04 WASHINGTON - WIN (?)

10-2-04 PURDUE - (WIN MAYBE)

10-9-04 STANFORD - WIN

10-16-04 vs. Navy @East Rutherford, NJ - WIN

10-23-04 BOSTON COLLEGE - WIN

11-6-04 at Tennessee (DUNNO)

11-13-04 PITTSBURGH - WIN

11-27-04 at Southern California (YEAH an L)

Hmm 7-4 may be tough.

They could go anywhere between 6-5 or 9-2 depending on how the team gels with Quinn at QB this year and if Grant can get back to his 2002 form.

wow Missouri?

All they have is Brad Smith, thats all they have had for the past 2 years and they havent gone anywhere...

K State or Nebraska will come out from there.... K State most likely

I see your point, but remember that Missouri beat Nebraska by 17 last year.

Basically, I think Mizzou will just outscore most of their opponents and should win 9-10 games.

I don't like Nebraska at this point, they will be competitive, but they have a first year starting qb entering into an entirely different offensive philosophy. I can't see them mastering the west coast offense in one summer of practices.

K-State has Darren Sproles, but they lost 7 starters on Defense, and they lost Roberson. They are still a good team, but they will have too many growing pains.

Notre Dame at 7-4 huh...

Hmm lemme see:

9-4-04 at Brigham Young - WIN

9-11-04 MICHIGAN - (YEAH prolly an L)

9-18-04 at Michigan State - WIN (?)

9-25-04 WASHINGTON - WIN (?)

10-2-04 PURDUE - (WIN MAYBE)

10-9-04 STANFORD - WIN

10-16-04 vs. Navy @East Rutherford, NJ  - WIN

10-23-04 BOSTON COLLEGE  - WIN

11-6-04 at Tennessee  (DUNNO)

11-13-04 PITTSBURGH - WIN

11-27-04 at Southern California  (YEAH an L)

Hmm 7-4 may be tough.

They could go anywhere between 6-5 or 9-2 depending on how the team gels with Quinn at QB this year and if Grant can get back to his 2002 form.

When looking at their schedule I projected Michigan, Tenn, and USC as losses. I figured Purdue and BC are games that could go either way. So I just gave them a split in the swing games. Though MSU will not be a pushover either.

I see your point, but remember that Missouri beat Nebraska by 17 last year. 

Basically, I think Mizzou will just outscore most of their opponents and should win 9-10 games. 

I don't like Nebraska at this point, they will be competitive, but they have a first year starting qb entering into an entirely different offensive philosophy.  I can't see them mastering the west coast offense in one summer of practices.

K-State has Darren Sproles, but they lost 7 starters on Defense, and they lost Roberson.  They are still a good team, but they will have too many growing pains.

I thought Roberson was a junior last season? Did he go into the NFL Draft?

I thought Roberson was a junior last season?  Did he go into the NFL Draft?

I am pretty certain that he was a senior. He was one tough hombre though, if I were a back or a safety I wouldn't want to see him barreling down on me.

I have no idea who will come out of the Big XII north, but it ain't ISU.

I'd say Nebraska, on a hunch.

Nebraska will be an interesting team to watch, what's-his-name is coaching (the Raiders former coach). Callahan, Connahan, is that it? Well - you know what I mean, but, as usual, the Big 12 will be an interesting conference.

And 1549, you are correct about Roberson. K-State will be led by either Sophomore Dylan Meier or Sophomore Allen Webb.

Nebraska will be an interesting team to watch, what's-his-name is coaching (the Raiders former coach).  Callahan, Connahan, is that it?  Well - you know what I mean, but, as usual, the Big 12 will be an interesting conference.

And 1549, you are correct about Roberson.  K-State will be led by either Sophomore Dylan Meier or Sophomore Allen Webb.

Callahan...and it will indeed be interesting.

I have no idea who will come out of the Big XII north, but it ain't ISU.

I'd say Nebraska, on a hunch.

Kansas State has no QB this year, and a very young team.

It will be interesting to see how Nebraska adjusts.

Texas or OU are the Big 12 champs.

Hopefully the Jayhawks can make it two straight bowl games in a row. Oh yeah, Brad Smith is very overrated, put some pressure on him and he turns into Slash

When looking at their schedule I projected Michigan, Tenn, and USC as losses.  I figured Purdue and BC are games that could go either way.  So I just gave them a split in the swing games.  Though MSU will not be a pushover either.

If they don't go at least 7-4 does Willingham get fired (please say yes...)