College Football

We'll flip the switch on that this year.... ;)

Just 47 days until I'm in B-Town! :headbang

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll beat you in football and Bball this year, your only hope is a Bball win in Bloomington, which you didn't get last year. I can't wait until you come back to our AH.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We'll beat you in football and Bball this year, your only hope is a Bball win in Bloomington, which you didn't get last year. I can't wait until you come back to our AH.

Eh, you knew our team last year was garbage. It's pretty sad when we went half the season with our center being Sean Kline, and that we were begging for George Leach to come back... :bang

We were HOPING to get into the NIT; as you guys were a serious final four contender. I think this incoming class at IU's definitely going to bring us back.

Yeah, but winning on the road in the Big Ten is real tough. We weren't supposed to win that game by any means. And looking back on it, it turned our season around after a terrible game up in Madison. You still had some talent on that team but your lack of an inside game turned your team into 3 pt chuckers 24/7. You'll be a force to be reckoned with this year, and finish in the top 1/3 of the Big Ten i'd say. I'm looking forward to watching your team play. I don't know how serious of a Final Four contender we were last year, we were kind of a darkhorse for it...but i think this year we are about as legit as we can be. Can't wait.

Yeah, but winning on the road in the Big Ten is real tough. We weren't supposed to win that game by any means. And looking back on it, it turned our season around after a terrible game up in Madison. You still had some talent on that team but your lack of an inside game turned your team into 3 pt chuckers 24/7.  You'll be a force to be reckoned with this year, and finish in the top 1/3 of the Big Ten i'd say. I'm looking forward to watching your team play. I don't know how serious of a Final Four contender we were last year, we were kind of a darkhorse for it...but i think this year we are about as legit as we can be. Can't wait.

You hit it right on the button with what happened to our season last year, and I agree about what's going to happen in the Big Ten this year. I feel like the Big Ten is going to once again be one of the stronger conferences in the NCAA; we are again going to have at the least 6 teams in the tourney this year, with a chance of them going deep into the tourney.

Haha, I just noticed. Look at what we're doing to the NCAA Football thread....

Correct, Willingham isn't coaching "his" team yet

He still has a few more years in my eyes, for sure. His first season exceeded expectations by a lot, last year...well, Carlyle Holliday.

Was Stoops coaching 'his' team?

I dunno, after seeing recruiting "Willingham's team" looks like crap if you ask me. I think the whole 8-0 in 2002 was more of a placebo effect where the team was just glad to be rid of Davie. I think this season really tests his mettle and if it doesn't turn out well, that's the end of him.

What does everyone think of him as a coach?

I like him as a coach, but maybe i'm just comparing him to Davie too much

I think Willingham had/has an Ozzie-like effect on the team, they are happy to play for him, and i'm sorry if this offends anyone, but i think he can relate/recruit the black athlete a lot better. I think that will help the team in the future.

You can't overlook what he did in 2002 though, that was just an amazing year. Sure, we took a beating last year, but look at the friggin schedule. Again this year, not many easy games at all. Every W is big, every game is a grueling fight.

This year's recruiting class was supbar, mainly a result of the poor season i believe. The academic standards don't help that either. The year before that, though, the recruiting class was good. I'm anxious to see what Willingham does with this team. And a top recruiting class doesn't guarantee success, nor does a non top 10 class guarantee mediocrity.

Ask Mack Brown.

I just think the standards at ND are so high and there's so much pressure, and because of that he's under some premature fire. I mean come on, he had to endure last year with a s***ty/then a freshman quarterback. It's hard to tell ND alums, but give it a little time. I'm not hitting the panic button on him yet.

I like him as a coach, but maybe i'm just comparing him to Davie too much

Not a Notre Dame fan here, but I hope that Bob Davie never gets another chance to coach football. He has become my favorite College Football announcer.

He always does his homework, and always knows almost everything about the two teams, and their respective conferences. For my money, he's an immesurably better announcer than he was coach.

He also writes that column for espn.com college football section every week that explains a strategy part of the game, anything from the option to the 4-3 defense, stuff like that. I found them very entertaining last year. You are right, he is a great analyst

Not a Notre Dame fan here, but I hope that Bob Davie never gets another chance to coach football.  He has become my favorite College Football announcer. 

He always does his homework, and always knows almost everything about the two teams, and their respective conferences.  For my money, he's an immesurably better announcer than he was coach.

Just the name "Bob Davie" makes my stomach churn in a bad way. :puke

He also writes that column for espn.com college football section every week that explains a strategy part of the game, anything from the option to the 4-3 defense, stuff like that. I found them very entertaining last year. You are right, he is a great analyst

He was also a brilliant defensive coordinator. He knows the game, but I think he's just proof that you have to understand leadership to be a successful head coach at a big time school.

I do enjoy his commentary, despite being an ND fan (no hard feelings). When he did the Pittsburgh game last year, he had a lot of very nice things to say about all the players and was good at being impartial.

Krush, Willingham isn't Davie, which is all he needed to be successful his first year. I just saw him get totally outclassed on the field so much last season. Back to back 30+ point HOME losses just doesn't happen at ND. That didn't even happen to Davie... For God's sake, are we Rutgers? When they hired the guy, I didn't think they upgraded at the coaching position.

I hope time proves me wrong. I hope last year was just a tough year with a lot of bad attitudes and poor leadership from the senior class. I want Willingham to succeed at ND because I think a successful ND tends to make College Football more interesting. It's just that seeing everything: lack of in game adjustments, seemingly poor recruiting, etc make me very pessimistic about him working out at ND in the long run.

As an ND guy, I do hope he proves me wrong.