Tour De France

I noticed The Cheat had something in his signature. It somewhat intrigues me; anyone else watching/following? I heard Lance say that this is possibly his last go at it; it'd be something to see him get the six-fectah. I know cycling isn't high up on the American sports meter, but Lance Armstrong is arguably one of the best athletes in the world.

I read something that his lung resistance is like 80 something, while the average human's is around 50-55. That's pretty crazy.

I was going to start a daily update thread, but I haven't been around lately... with the drinkin and the Holiday weekend and all.

So Far not much has happened.

The Prolouge was Saturday, but that is more of a show than anything... IT's only 4 mile time trial, so there's not a lot of ground to be gained or lost. Lance finished second, ahead of all of the major contenders. He showed he was in good form, and he would be challenging for the title until Paris.

The last two days have been flat stages, usually won by non-contenders or sprinters in a bunch finish. Yesterday Jan Kirispuu won, and Today Robbie McEwan. Thor Hushovd was second on both days, gaining some time bonuses to move up from his 5th place in the Prolouge to take the overall lead.

Lance has dropped to 4th, due to people gaining time bonuses in sprints.

Tomorrow is another flat stage, so not much should happen. Wednesday is the first day that will really matter to all of the Overall contenders, The Team TimeTrial... There's considerable amount of time to be gained and lost. There's another few flat stages before they get to the Pyrenees mountains on the spanish border, and it should become appearent who is going to have a shot to win then...

Other names to watch.

Jan Ulrich

Iban Mayo

Tyler Hamilton

Along with lance, these are the only three guys I can see being on the podium in Paris.

Nice to see an Aussie winning in Robbie McEwin. Usually him, Brad McGee and Stuart O' Grady do pretty good in the sprinting stages early on, but once they hit the mountains that's when Armstrong and the Europeans come into their own.

I watched it everyday years ago when it was on ESPN. Then a few years ago it went to Fox Sports, and it wasn't convered on weekends, so you would miss parts. Now it is on OLN, and well, I don't get that channel. I don't know anyone who does, so yeah.

I get the channel. I don't know what the hell they show on there besides the Tour. I usually watch it when I wake up in the mornings; I really enjoy it for some reason.

Speaking of cycling, it'll be interesting next year at IU, when I get to see the Little 500 in person.

Crazy day on the tour today... There was 2 sections of coblestone paths that had the contenders worried. The result was a high pace. And when the ineveitable crash happened, most of the serious contenders were safe at the front. One major contender was not spared. Iban Mayo lost considerable time today as he got caught in a crash.

Robbie McEwan finished second on the day, earning enough in time bonuses to take over the Overall lead.Lance is down to fifth, but ahead of all main Rivals.

Tomorrow is the team time trial. There's a lot of time to be won or lost with a solid or dismal showing. Expect to see Jens Voigt in Yellow tomorrow. His team CSC appears to be very strong, and he currently sits in third place. Lance and Postal service will be looking for an overall victory tomorrow. If they are able to win tomorrows stage, Lance will be in yellow. Other teams who should fare well Phonak(Tyler Hamilton), T-Mobile(Jan Ulrich), Rabobank (levi Leipheimer)

I know Lance Armstrong went from a promising up-and-comer American wannabe cyclist to a 5-time tour champ in the matter of months.....

Correction he went from young-up-and-comer-who never had a shot at winning an event like the tour de France -- To disappointment. To complete flop. To Near dead. To inspirational story, just by getting back on the bike. To surprise winner of a weakened tour field. To 5 time champ.

The fact is if he never got cancer he never would have lost the amount of weight he needed to compete in the mountains of a grand tour. He would have been a good all-around cyclist, but not the climbing machine he has become.

Robbie McEwin  :headbang

Let's hope he keeps it up and keeps the yellow jersey, at least til the mountain stages.  ;)

NO chance he has it after tomorrow.

However, if Lotto-Domo can limit their losses tomorrow, he could find himself back in yellow before they hit the Pyrenees. Most likely the tour bosses, Lance et al., won't waste the energy defending the yellow this early in the tour.

Correction he went from young-up-and-comer-who never had a shot at winning an event like the tour de France -- To disappointment. To complete flop. To Near dead.  To inspirational story, just by getting back on the bike. To surprise winner of a weakened tour field.  To 5 time champ.

The fact is if he never got cancer he never would have lost the amount of weight he needed to compete in the mountains of a grand tour.  He would have been a good all-around cyclist, but not the climbing machine he has become.

Yeah....Greg Lemond, eat your heart out. :lol:

Through the haze I remember Armostrong winning some North American event in the mid-90's but he wasn't close to being a contender on the Spanish or the Italian tour let alone Tour-de-France.......By the time the cancer thing happened and he started winning I was already here and not really following cycling closely.

Yeah....Greg Lemond, eat your heart out.  :lol:

Through the haze I remember Armostrong winning some North American event in the mid-90's but he wasn't close to being a contender on the Spanish or the Italian tour let alone Tour-de-France.......By the time the cancer thing happened and he started winning I was already here and not really following cycling closely.

That event was the Tour DuPont... Not exactly a top flite tour in terms of talent. No doubt the biggest tour in the US, but nothing compared to those in Europe.

They've tried to revive the Tour DuPont recently, kinda. DuPont was in the Carolina Area, The tour which has replaced it is the Tour de Georgia. Georgia attracted a respectable international field this year. Lance won rather easily.

That event was the Tour DuPont... Not exactly a top flite tour in terms of talent.  No doubt the biggest tour in the US, but nothing compared to those in Europe.

They've tried to revive the Tour DuPont recently, kinda.  DuPont was in the Carolina Area, The tour which has replaced it is the Tour de Georgia.  Georgia attracted a respectable international field this year.  Lance won rather easily.

No, no - that's not it.

I think it was in the Americas, but not IN the US. Not Olympics, not Pan-American games, but something pretty unique and major, circa 1993 maybe. Damn, what AM I thinking of? :angry:

In any case, that's where I first heard of Armstrong because he won it despite not being one of the top cyclist at the time, and to my surprise when he started winning all those Tours (5? That's unbelievable) later on, I couldn't quite reconcile it with I remembered him as.

Armstrong won the World Championships in 1993 -- That was completely out of nowhere. And he largely won that because nobody respected him as a threat to win, so when he attacked nobody chased.

the only other major races he won prior to his illness was the San Sebastian Classic and the Flesch Wallone... both of those are long one day races, over varying, but not mountainous, terrain... That's the type of cyclist Armstrong projected to be.

To make a baseball comparison, It would be like a guy who hit a little under .300 with little to no power, and some speed, getting "sick" and coming back as A-Rod.

Oh and to your Lemond eat your heart out comment... He also came back from a near death incedent... he still has shotgun pellets in his chest from a hunting accident... But he only won twice after his incedent.

The Team Time Trial just finished..

-USPS wins... Lance in Yellow. Full results aren't available yet.

-Phonak finished second, keeping Hamilton close-- 36 seconds back. Closest competition.

-T-Mobile took third, Ulrich over a minute down after today.

-CSC, my pick to win this stage, had mechanical difficulties, and a crash early, but was able to finish 5th. A great run considering wht happened. Jens Voigt is poised close enough to take yellow back from lance before the mountains. Bobby Julich (3rd in 98) is in good position and riding strong. Looks like he just might be a factor all the way to Paris.

- Liberty Seguros rode well placing 6th? -- Heras didn't lose too much time

- Iban Mayo's team had a great ride, finishing in the top ten...

Armstrong won the World Championships in 1993 -- That was completely out of nowhere.  And he largely won that because nobody respected him as a threat to win, so when he attacked nobody chased.

the only other major races he won prior to his illness was the San Sebastian Classic and the Flesch Wallone... both of those are long one day races, over varying, but not mountainous, terrain... That's the type of cyclist Armstrong projected to be.

To make a baseball comparison, It would be like a guy who hit a little under .300 with little to no power, and some speed, getting "sick" and coming back as A-Rod.

Oh and to your Lemond eat your heart out comment... He also came back from a near death incedent... he still has shotgun pellets in his chest from a hunting accident... But he only won twice after his incedent.

Yeah, I think that was it. World Champiionship in 93.

As for your baseball comparison......Melvyn Mora sucked before turning 30 and this year he HAS performed better than A-Rod, in the first couple of months anyway.

And you know what I like about cycliing? The TEAMWORK - for instance, how Indurain's goons, er, teammates used to bully anyone who would challenge him. Right out of the West Side Story spoof :lol:

There was a large breakaway today by a group of 5... They gained about 10 minutes on the rest of the field...

Some Frenchman takes over the Yellow Jersey... He's a momentary hero in france... To bad no frenchman will be wearing yellow when it counts..

Stuart O'Grady took the win today, and moves into sixth overall in the sprinters (green jersey) competition. Bradley McGee abandonned the race with a bad back. Petacci and Cippolini have been unimpressive in the sprints, so it could come down to the two Ausies O'Grady and McEwen, for the Green in Paris.

Lance, Tyler, and Jan all avoided catastrophe's in todays stage that was riddled with crashes.

Also of note... I haven't mentioned local product, Cristian Vandevelde. Vandevelde is a Chicago area native, Lemont, I believe... He's riding in his second tour... I think... He rode once in support of lance, and this year as a part of the Liberty Seguros team lead by Roberto Heras, who was a part of USPS last year. He played an important role in limiting Heras' losses yesterday in the Team Time Trial. He should also be an important member in the early parts of the mountain stages.

Pettacci and Cippo, the Prima dona italian sprinters, didn't bother starting today....

O'Grady moves into the Green Jersey Lead; McEwen second, though he looked terrible after crashing in the last Kilometer.

Green Jersey to be a three way race between McEwen, O'Grady, and Zabel... Though I don't know if T-Mobile will put too much effort into winning it for Zabel, they are more likely to concentrate their efforts on Ulrich.

Lance crashed early in the race.. No big deal, he's fine. No change in the GC.

Pettacci and Cippo, the Prima dona italian sprinters, didn't bother starting today.... 

O'Grady moves into the Green Jersey Lead; McEwen second, though he looked terrible after crashing in the last Kilometer.

Green Jersey to be a three way race between McEwen, O'Grady, and Zabel... Though I don't know if T-Mobile will put too much effort into winning it for Zabel, they are more likely to concentrate their efforts on Ulrich.

Lance crashed early in the race.. No big deal, he's fine.  No change in the GC.

Is Lance still 9 1/2 minutes down? Is that amount of time reasonable to make up?

Is Lance still 9 1/2 minutes down?  Is that amount of time reasonable to make up?

Yeah -- In 2001 at this point he was down almost 30 minutes...

It's all about who it is ahead of you.... Holding onto the lead expends a lot of energy, especially off the team... And the team is really needed on the morre mountainous stages...

Lance, and the other faorites should take over the top spots in the Pyrenees, next week... Starting wednesday I beleive.