Sox might have resigned Freddy

maggsmaggs

Guest JimH

Forget about Randy Johnson, that's pipe dream stuff.

I highly suspect the Sox will re-sign Jose Valentin after this year, counting him as gone is very premature. As is speculation they'll need to trade Konerko or Carlos Lee. If they get to the playoffs this year, the revenue situation changes dramatically.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they get to the playoffs this year, the revenue situation changes dramatically.

I'm still very curious on how much the new TV deal will help with revenue, I assume it will raise it somewhat because what's the point in doing it if it won't raise revenue?

I'm still very curious on how much the new TV deal will help with revenue, I assume it will raise it somewhat because what's the point in doing it if it won't raise revenue?

Well by winning more baseball games, you will generate more revenue (or so you'd think). I think that's the overall goal of this signing for the next 3 years.

Dealt no, resigning is never going to happen now.

Well yeah...but if he's not going to be resigned for sure now, wouldn't you think it makes sense that the chances of him being dealt increases? I'm just throwing that out there, i don't really like the ortiz/jones deal anyhow.

I don't think Maggs is necessarily gone because of this deal. If you look at ESPN, the Sox are at about $68 mil in payroll(not sure why it includes Jerry Hairston and Vic Darensburg both at about $1.5 mil, if those numbers are wrong that drops it about $3 mil), and that includes Maggs' $14 mil and Garcia at his current salary. There aren't a whole lot of increases that would be coming, outside of maybe a raise for Frank, and Konerko and Lee's go up a little, and Loaiza's $4 mil might be gone. That salary isn't that high. If they make a playoff run, then I would be shocked if they don't keep it there for a while.

Forget about Randy. Not going to happen. He's due $15 mil for the next two years. The Sox will not add that much for a 40 year old starter, no matter how good he is. Plus, they can't really afford to lose the level of prospects it would take to acquire him. I think Esteban is gone if he expects a significant raise, might stay if his demands are for similar money.

Some of the details..

Johnson agreed to a four-year contract with Arizona before the 1999 season, a deal that guaranteed him $52.4 million over four years and contained a $12 million option for 2003 with a $3 million buyout.

He already has earned $2.75 million in bonuses and a $3 million automatic raise this season because he won last year's Cy Young Award, raising his total under the current deal to a minimum $64.15 million over five years.

Johnson's extension will pay him $16 million in each of the 2004 and 2005 seasons, and contains a $1 million personal-services contract at the end of the deal.

Arizona is deferring $6 million in each year of the extension. Johnson already had agreed to defer $8 million a year in salary for 2001, '02 and '03, money that will be paid with 6 percent compounded interest.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0324/1528707.html

I think Esteban is gone if he expects a significant raise, might stay if his demands are for similar money.

I know I'm probably looking way to deep into the situation but I think a reason Torre (SP?) picked Loiza for the all-star team is to grease the wheels on the Yankees signing him next year. Their staff is getting older and thinner, with very little to no help in the minors. They will be willing to overpay for him, and getting on good terms with him and his agent by selecting him to the all star team seems like a logical step

I know I'm probably looking way to deep into the situation but I think a reason Torre (SP?) picked Loiza for the all-star team is to grease the wheels on the Yankees signing him next year.  Their staff is getting older and thinner, with very little to no help in the minors.  They will be willing to overpay for him, and getting on good terms with him and his agent by selecting him to the all star team seems like a logical step

Torre didn't pick him; he's in on the player's vote.

i've been watching loaiza all year and he's only had 3 or 4 real great outings, i'm thinking the sox should dump him after the year and make a run at Carl Pavano or if not him then a left-handed starter to neutralize the indians left-handed power and hopefully diaz or rouch can step up in the #5 role. anyone know of any good LHP available after the season?

I don't understand why anyone here would say that Maglio is being unrealistic about his own worth.

1) You are worth what the market will pay. I guarantee that if Mags wants a 5-year, $70 million contract, someone will give it to him.

2) The Sox are trying to screw him over with back-ended, deferred money. Why should he take that if he doesn't have to?

Ordonez has put himself in a position by being an exemplary ballplayer and citizen so that he shouldn't have to accept a bulls***, Frank Thomas-like contract. If I was his agent, I'd tell JR and KW to pay us or blow us!

2) The Sox are trying to screw him over with back-ended, deferred money. Why should he take that if he doesn't have to?

Ordonez has put himself in a position by being an exemplary ballplayer and citizen so that he shouldn't have to accept a bulls***, Frank Thomas-like contract. If I was his agent, I'd tell JR and KW to pay us or blow us!

You don't know this, but you can bet your ass that if that's the deal breaker... it WILL be known. I don't think they are risking that. I think it's something else.....

You don't know this, but you can bet your ass that if that's the deal breaker... it WILL be known. I don't think they are risking that. I think it's something else.....

I don't know it for sure, Steff, but, from what I've read, deferred money is the sticking point in the negotiations.

PR-wise, that works well for JR and the ownership...they can say that they made a "very competitive offer", and that the "money was the same (or more)" than what he untimately signed for...blah, blah, blah.

I hate JR and his BS! I wish he'd sell the team.

The point with Magglio is that the Sox have apparently offered him a deal in the neighborhood of what he originally wanted, and he has stated that he wants to stay. So unless this was a load of BS, he should strongly consider taking it. I wouldn't be so sure that he will get the 5 years $70 mil he is looking for anywhere else. I repeat, this is what VLADIMIR GUERRERO received last year, and Maggs is not Vlad. Vlad is a better hitter and is younger, and still didn't have a whole lot of huge offers. He basically was choosing between Anaheim and Baltimore. I wouldn't be too sure that teams will be jumping to sign a 30 year old outfielder that just had a knee surgery to a huge deal. Besides, the Sox aren't the only team signing contracts with deferred money. Numerous other teams are doing it. From what I read much of Randy Johnson's money has been deferred, as well as Jason Giambi. And teams are starting to sign shorter deals because of teams getting burned on huge deals, like Mo Vaughn and Albert Belle. The Mets and Dodgers might offer large deals, but they are both getting pretty close to the luxary tax threshold, and the Dodgers are going to have to resign Perez. The only huge threat I would see is the Cubbies, and they would be stupid to commit that much to Maggs when Clement is a free agent, Ramirez needs an extension, and Prior and Zambrano are going to receive huge deals in the coming years. Plus the Cubs have no balls when signing major free agents, as shown by refusing to make offers to Miguel Tejada and Ivan Rodriguez/Javy Lopez, and the refusal to sign Jim Thome a few years ago, despite his obvious interest.

LA, SD, NYM, NYY, and BAL will all be players in the "Mags sweepstakes"!

The Mets have an option on Hildago, and I see them using that as an excuse to not go after Mags in the offseason. I have a feeling if we don't get him signed, I'll be shocked if we do, that he ends up in Baltimore. They still have tons of money to blow after last year's offseason. They just kind of stopped going after players, and said they would wait for this year's FA class.

Also, does this mean Loaiza is not coming back?

I think Felix Diaz means that ELo is not coming back unless it's at a cheap price.

To be honest, I think we have a better chance to win when Garland goes out there than when I see Loaiza taking the mound.

Forget about Randy. Not going to happen. He's due $15 mil for the next two years.

1. It's only not gonna happen because Sox are forgetting the meaning of the phrase "going for it" and as usual it will blow up in their face, somehow, somewhere. Instead of Andruw Jones, Jason Kendall and Nomar Garciaparra nonsense that they are/were rumored to be looking into, they should pay just a bit more and get someone who literally doubles our chances of getting past ALDS. With Unit pitching in Games 1 and 4 of ALDS, it takes some pressure off Garcia and Buerhle to be perfect in Games 2 and 3 as well, thus making them more effective IMO

2. As has been pointed out upthread, Unit is making 10 Mill per in 2004 and 2005 with the rest of the moneys deferred. With 2.5 months to go (if Sox were to pursue him right after the break), they'd only be responsible for about 4 Mill of the upfront money for this year. Don't tell me they couldn't pay that - esp before signing Garcia to an extension, which is when getting Unit was more realistic.

And 2005? Koch, Loaiza/Valentin and Konerko/Lee could very well be gone, so Unit's 10 Mill (plus deferred) won't be a huge burden either.

Worst comes the worst, if things don't work out the way we all want them to (Sox lose in ALDS and do not experience a revenue boom), Unit could always be traded to those same Yankees or Red Sox who are always looking to one-up each other in 2005.

3. Now....If D-Backs want real good prospects, then they better pick up some of the money - not half, but a few Mill a per year.

4. Randy Johnson is very expensive, old and has a knee problem -- to say nothing of him frankly not being as good as he was in 1999-2001 -- so I am not sure what makes Arizona think they have this unbelivable commodity everyone is going to break bank to get. Unit could be on DL next week, so it's not as if we're talking about Prior or Ben Sheets here.

Garcia is much younger, much healthier, is having every bit as good a year as Unit and was playing on a team who was in a much better financial state than the D-Backs currently are and threfore wasn't as desperate to get rid of Freddy.....And still, many people feel Sox overpaid with Reed and Olivo.

No trade clause whatever, if Yankees are rumored to be the front-runners in the Randy Johnson sweepstakes, then it's obvious that Unit's mind can be swayed and there is NO reason to think Sox can't join in. If they get outbid, fine. But I want a serious attempt to be made.