Why the Garcia Deal

aboz56

I have a feeling that the Garcia deal may not sit too well with Maggs and this is why:

Maggs has been with the Sox six seasons now and is not getting the deal that he wants, despite all he has done for the Sox organization. And now you have Garcia, whom just two weeks ago was a member of Seattle, getting a contract extension immediately after being traded to the Southside. Common logic here says that if I am Ordonez, I am not happy about not being able to get the deal I am seeking after all of this time with the organization and a new pitcher comes in and gets the deal he wants immediately. This could all be a moot point anyhow because from what I've been told by a player in the Sox organization, Ordonez is gone after the season.

And I also think this greatly diminishes the chances of signing Loaiza after the year, which won't bother me as much as losing Maggs.

Magglio should understand why Garcia got his deal.

It's because Garcia isn't stuck at one amount of money/years. Magglio pretty much is.

I agree.

Garcia seemed to be more flexible in his expectations, so his deal was easier to get done.

NOT saying that Maggs doesn't deserve what he's asking for, because I personally think he's been great for the Sox, but his position seems, from all indications, to be pretty set in stone.

I'm pessimistic about his future here.

I have a feeling that the Garcia deal may not sit too well with Maggs and this is why:

Maggs has been with the Sox six seasons now and is not getting the deal that he wants, despite all he has done for the Sox organization.  And now you have Garcia, whom just two weeks ago was a member of Seattle, getting a contract extension immediately after being traded to the Southside.  Common logic here says that if I am Ordonez, I am not happy about not being able to get the deal I am seeking after all of this time with the organization and a new pitcher comes in and gets the deal he wants immediately.  This could all be a moot point anyhow because from what I've been told by a player in the Sox organization, Ordonez is gone after the season.

And I also think this greatly diminishes the chances of signing Loaiza after the year, which won't bother me as much as losing Maggs.

Well if Maggs wants his deal it's on the table if he's upset than he's selfish. It's his choice to make. IMO

Maggs has been with the Sox six seasons now and is not getting the deal that he wants, despite all he has done for the Sox organization.  And now you have Garcia, whom just two weeks ago was a member of Seattle, getting a contract extension immediately after being traded to the Southside.  Common logic here says that if I am Ordonez, I am not happy about not being able to get the deal I am seeking after all of this time with the organization and a new pitcher comes in and gets the deal he wants immediately.  This could all be a moot point anyhow because from what I've been told by a player in the Sox organization, Ordonez is gone after the season.

I dunno. The logic makes sense, but Maggs isn't that type of guy. He seems really antsy to get back and I think the Sox and Maggs will end up getting something worked out. The Sox organization seems to be changing the way they go about or at least its my opinion that they are.

I'm hoping Garcia was the start of it, but that resigning Maggs and making another move or two will be some more signs of it.

I just heard him on the score and espn 1000 before the game. He seems very happy for Freddy. I heard that the last year of the 5 year deal that is currently on the tabel would be deferred either 5 10 or 15 years at 1 or 2 percent. That is the holdup. Sounds to me like the agent is holding it up more than Maggs is. Either way Maggs would get his money, the agent wouldn't be.

By the way did anyone know we are still paying Julio Cruz and Jerry Hairston because of deferred payments. That is what Bruce Levine said anyways.

I'd rather have Maggs than Garcia, but I can see why people

are more excited about Freddie. He's the new guy on the block

while Maggs has been here excelling for years.

It's the same reasoning the new guy brought in from a hotshot

company at an "everyday normal" job gets all the money

and the guy who has worked his ass off and been consistent

for the same company 6 years gets s*** on.

I want Maggs over FG, but that's just me.

I'd rather have Maggs than Garcia, but I can see why people

are more excited about Freddie. He's the new guy on the block

while Maggs has been here excelling for years.

It's the same reasoning the new guy brought in from a hotshot

company at an "everyday normal" job gets all the money

and the guy who has worked his ass off and been consistent

for the same company 6 years gets s*** on.

I want Maggs over FG, but that's just me.

I would rather have both. I don't think anyone is more excited over having Garcia than Maggs. I think everyone would like both. I think we are pissed off that Maggs said at the beginning what he would settle for. Now that we have offered him just that he is not signing? Because of one year of deferred money? Garcia was looking at around 10 million per year however he is settling for 9 million per year. Why is that? Why would someone that has spent 1 week here with a team take less than he expected to stay here but a player that has spent his entire career here keeps looking for more and more and won't do anything to help get a contract done. He won't budge an inch.

That is why I thnk people are sick of this situation with Maggs and are excited to see Garcia come aboard.

On the day recently acquired pitcher RHP Freddy Garcia signed a $27 million, three-year extension with the White Sox, OF Magglio Ordonez said talks about extending his contract have died. "We stopped talking (Tuesday)," Ordonez said. "I don't think we're close."

http://sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW

The thing that makes me leary about stuff like that is, that sometimes you see older quotes and those quotes may of been before the Sox came back to Maggs with a new offer, which has been an undisclosed amount.