Barons Activate Ulacia, McNichol; Honel, Pacheco

Chisoxfn

Barons Activate Ulacia, McNichol; Honel, Pacheco to the DL

By Jason Gage

July 6, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Birmingham Barons reinstated LHP's Dennis Ulacia and Brian McNichol. The two Barons along with recently traded shortstop Mike Morse were suspended on June 21st for violating undisclosed team rules. Ulacia had worked his way into the rotation and was 5-4 with a 4.19 ERA in 17 games, 12 starts. McNichol had been one of the Barons best relievers going 3-1 with a 1.76 ERA.

To make room for Ulacia and McNichol the Barons placed top prospect Kris Honel and RHP Enemencio Pacheco on the disabled list. Its quite likely that Kris Honel will be out for the season. Pacheco could also be shut down for the season as well. Both pitchers were fantastic last season with their respected affiliates and had large expectations entering the season.

Honel made two appearances out of the pen after coming off the disabled list a few weeks ago. Pacheco made 3 appearances for the Barons this season, two starts, going 0-0 with a 4.35 ERA. He started the season in Charlotte.

FutureSox.com will update you when we find out more on the status of Honel and Pacheco.

I'm hoping not on Honel. His velocity seems to have bounced around a lot during his career. From what I heard, it was 93 as an underclassmen, high 80's as a senior, back up to the low 90's after he got drafted, and around mid 80's after the injury. It doesn't seem like as much of a problem because of his nasty breaking ball. Here's hoping I'm right.