Randy Johnson might be available

CSF

FWIW, Gammons just said on Sportscenter that our Sox, as Hawk likes to say, are in the Randy Johnson hunt.

I heard that too. He said that the Yankees, Angels, and maybe the White Sox were interested in Johnson, but he doesn't think the Yankees nor Red Sox will get him b/c they don't have the prospects and/or major league-ready players to give the D'Backs to get him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think the angels are gonna get him imo. I would love to have him no doubt.

You and I are thinking exactly alike on this. The Angels have money, players they can give from the minors, and major league players such as Washburn, Escobar, and Ortiz. I definately think he ends up with the Angels. If we get him then I will be more than pleasantly suprised.

too much money and too many prospects or players would be givin up.....they would take the whole charlotte team

If it got the Sox to a World Series, as Geddy Lee says, pay the price, don't count the cost. If they got him, they would instantly be at or near sellout levels to all the rest of their home games. They would almost be a lock for the playoffs. In the playoffs, Johnson, Garcia, and Buerhle would be very difficult to beat, even for the Yankees. If Johnson is agreeable to coming here, and KW has what the D-Backs want, and that cost doesn't just decimate the major league roster........It also would be fun to watch hitters try to adjust to Shingo's frisbee after watching the Big Unit's gas for 3 at bats.

FWIW, Gammons just said on Sportscenter that our Sox, as Hawk likes to say, are in the Randy Johnson hunt.

Let's just hope it's not a "phantom" offer designed to boost Kenny's ego and Jerry's reputation, but which ultimately amounts to nothing.

:cheers

Defense will always prevail.  In baseball, starting pitchers are your most important defensive players, similar to the goalie in hockey and soccer, the center in the NBA, and the #1 corner in the NFL (although arguments can be made for other positions in the NFL).  Obviously, the better the personnel at the key defensive slots, the better the team.

Check your championship history there, bro. ;)

You're arguing against defense here.  What would Mr. Miyagi say? :headshake

What you are arguing, in essense, is that exceptions occur.  We all know this.  But in the vast majority of cases, defense prevails.

Wisdom.

You know, except for your love of the Blue Vermin (still playing the Beltran-like Corey Patterson in fantasy?), I've agreed with just about all your posts.

The only thing I would add is you do need more offense with the DH during the regular season. There are so many AL teams that are just loaded nobody can shut them down day after day.

But in the playoffs healthy pitching and basic baseball will win every time.

As Ozzie would say, I tell you what, if the Sox got Randy Johnson for prospects, the ticket office's decade-long vacation would be over. Interest in the White Sox in this town would be at a level no one thought possible 6 months ago.

Unless he loses 5 mph as soon as he puts on the ol' Black and White.... :crying

If it got the Sox to a World Series, as Geddy Lee says, pay the price, don't count the cost. If they got him, they would instantly be at or near sellout levels to all the rest of their home games. They would almost be a lock for the playoffs. In the playoffs, Johnson, Garcia, and Buerhle would be very difficult to beat, even for the Yankees. If Johnson is agreeable to coming here, and KW has what the D-Backs want, and that cost doesn't just decimate the major league roster........It also would be fun to watch hitters try to adjust to Shingo's frisbee after watching the Big Unit's gas for 3 at bats.

I agree with anyone who quotes Geddy Lee!

Prospects are just that...they are prospects! A VERY small percentage of them go on to greatness, or even mediocrity. (See Ruffcorn, Ruffin, etc.) To get a proven star like Randy Johnson, it would be worth taking a chance on dumping some of our "future stars"!

We want/need to win NOW! Let five years from now take care of itself.

I agree with anyone who quotes Geddy Lee!

Prospects are just that...they are prospects! A VERY small percentage of them go on to greatness, or even mediocrity. (See Ruffcorn, Ruffin, etc.) To get a proven star like Randy Johnson, it would be worth taking a chance on dumping some of our "future stars"!

We want/need to win NOW! Let five years from now take care of itself.

That is the only way to look at it if you want a championship. Got to be willing to deal talent to recieve it in return.

But in the playoffs healthy pitching and basic baseball will win every time.

Not every time, but often enough.

Good hitting CAN and HAS beaten good pitching when they got enough lucky bounces and umpires gave the hitters a high % of close calls. Great pitchers can be beaten with bloopers, bleeders, steals and walks.

The problem with White Sox is that they struggle against dominant pitching in big games even more than a playoff team with World Series aspirations has any right to. Knowing their history, I don't the Sox to score more than 3-4 runs a game in the playoffs, which means Sox pitching has to be TOP-NOTCH as well - otherwise forget about it.

Not every time, but often enough. 

Good hitting CAN and HAS beaten good pitching when they got enough lucky bounces and umpires gave the hitters a high % of close calls.   

The problem with White Sox is that they struggle against dominant pitching in big games even more than a playoff team with World Series aspirations has any right to.  Knowing their history, I don't the Sox to score more than 3-4 runs a game in the playoffs, which means Sox pitching has to be TOP-NOTCH as well - otherwise forget about it.

You are certainly right about that, the Sox seize up with the bat come October, don't they?

If we get Randy Johnson they might as well just give us that trophy right now... :lol:

Seriously i'm not so sure it would be a good idea.

I mean this is a huge risk, if we didn't make it to the World Series thats alot of talent to pay for someone who could just as easily retire after this year...

I'd much rather go after Mark Mulder after Oakland drops out of the race... :bang

Knowing their history, I don't the Sox to score more than 3-4 runs a game in the playoffs, which means Sox pitching has to be TOP-NOTCH as well - otherwise forget about it.

If Frank is still out and they don't get a good LH bat, it's more like 0 or 1 runs.

If we get Randy Johnson they might as well just give us that trophy right now... :lol:

Seriously i'm not so sure it would be a good idea.

I mean this is a huge risk, if we didn't make it to the World Series thats alot of talent to pay for someone who could just as easily retire after this year...

I'd much rather go after Mark Mulder after Oakland drops out of the race... :bang

Oh it's more then worth it. You have to take risks and sure it's a big risk but it's also a risk to see if your prospects develop. RJ, Garcia, and Buehrle in the playoffs would be about as good as it gets. The problem is I've heard the dbacks want young pitching and with Honel and Wing both injured there isn't much for the sox to trade, maybe a package of cotts, anderson or sweeney and one other player would work. It's pretty exciting and scary to think about what this team would look like with randy. To me it still seems like a pipe dream but I hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong, too, because I don't want to give up Anderson or Sweeney. We don't have to. All Kenny has to do is say that they are OFF LIMITS. Take you pick of what's left. He probably could have done the same thing on the Reed/Garcia trade. Just say OFF LIMITS, and then start negotiating. Of course, Seattle asked for Reed. Who wouldn't? Then Kenny rolled over and showed them his belly. No other team offered Seattle the equivelent of Reed/Olaiva. No other team will offer Arizona the equivelent of Anderson/Sweeney.

I hope you are wrong, too, because I don't want to give up Anderson or Sweeney.  We don't have to.  All Kenny has to do is say that they are OFF LIMITS.  Take you pick of what's left.  He probably could have done the same thing on the Reed/Garcia trade.  Just say OFF LIMITS, and then start negotiating.  Of course, Seattle asked for Reed.  Who wouldn't?  Then Kenny rolled over and showed them his belly.  No other team offered Seattle the equivelent of Reed/Olaiva.  No other team will offer Arizona the equivelent of Anderson/Sweeney.

I am positive that the angels offer shields and mcpherson for johnson. That should just about get the deal done.

I am positive that the angels offer shields and mcpherson for johnson. That should just about get the deal done.

I'm not sure about that, I've heard the angels really don't want to trade mcpherson. Who knows though they just might be saying that to try to get the dbacks to take some one else.

I'm not sure about that, I've heard the angels really don't want to trade mcpherson.  Who knows though they just might be saying that to try to get the dbacks to take some one else.

Maybe not mcpherson, but most defintly shields will be in the deal to replace johnson in the starting rotation.

Maybe not mcpherson, but most defintly shields will be in the deal to replace johnson in the starting rotation.

I agree with that but if the angels won't give up mcpherson, what else will they trade? I know peter gammons through out ervin santana as a possibility. If Anaheim won't trade mcpherson I think it's going to be hard for them to get a deal done.

I agree with that but if the angels won't give up mcpherson, what else will they trade?  I know peter gammons through out ervin santana as a possibility.  If Anaheim won't trade mcpherson I think it's going to be hard for them to get a deal done.

They have more to offer than the yankees though so that is a positive.