Things could be worse

quade36

that really puts it into perspective.

I went to the game Tuesday and there were some Cub fans right in front of me. They kept saying "broom" or "sweep." Man, wish they were around now to see how they're feeling when the 7 Brewers fans pulled the brooms out.

Absolutely. This 5-game slide is discouraging, but most playoff teams don't even hit their peaks and hot streaks until after the All-Star break, anyway.

It's still a LONG season to go.

Not to sound cliche here, but just refer back to the 1969 Cubs. Last week of August, they were 12.5 games in 1st place ahead of the Mets. Exactly 4 weeks later, they were 6 games out of 1st place, behind the Mets.

For all the long time posters here at soxtalk let me apologize for ever saying that most sox fans dont worry about what is happening on the north side, and are more concerned with the how the white sox are doing...After reading this and a few other threads I now see that the vast majority DO find more pleasure in a cubs loss than a sox win... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I can't share in your happiness...it is pretty bad right now...Ozzie is apologizing to the fans and we are currently in our longest losing streak of the season...We need to right the ship...

And the Cubs are winning the wild card! GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT PEOPLE!

GO SOX!

See, that's where your wrong. Just because Sox fans want the Cubs to lose doesn't mean they find more happiness in Cubs loss than a Sox win. However, if you are familiar with Cubs fans, or at least the ones i put up with, you would hope they lose every game IN ADDITION to the Sox winning every game. Also, what's good for the cubs is BAD FOR THE SOX. I will now turn the mic over to Brando for a lesson on why all sox fans should want the cubs to lose.

I will now turn the mic over to Brando for a lesson on why all sox fans should want the cubs to lose.

OHHH....and me and Brando have been gettin along so well lately....

I'm sure he has a good reason....he normally does have well thought out posts....

I was more talkin about some of the newbies in here posting Sosa poems and such...I just dont see the relevance

But Oh well I will just keep on keeping on

Courtesy of Chisox.com:

Halfway home: Thursday afternoon's game against the Angels marked the halfway mark for the White Sox. At this same point in 2003, the South Siders were 39-42 and 4 1/2 games out of first in third place.

So, the 43-38 record and trailing the Twins by two games show there's definite improvement under Ozzie Guillen's leadership. But where do the White Sox believe they stand as the second half of the season approaches?

"I think we are in pretty good shape," said White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, who had the team's best offensive numbers through 81 games with 21 home runs and 55 RBIs. "We need to finish strong this week. I don't like the way we started off (Tuesday and Wednesday)."

Konerko pointed to surviving a tough first-half schedule as a boon for his team, with no second-half games left against the powerful Yankees. The White Sox have all 19 of their game against Detroit in the second half, although the Tigers are one of the most improved squads in all of baseball, and 14 against the woeful Royals.

Ultimately, the White Sox will go as far as their offense takes them, which hasn't been very far during the past week.

"As a team, we aren't putting things together," Konerko said. "We have run into some hot pitchers where you have to tip your hat. But that can't be the reason every night.

"We just need to string a bunch of singles together. Sometimes, you try to get too big and bust out with the three-run home runs. That's not the way to do it. Those happen when they happen."