Nader accuse Kerry of "Mini Watergate"

mreye

I was listening to WLS this morning on the way to work and Ralph Nader was on with Don and Roma. I guess he had a type of convention in Oregon to have a petition signing to get him on the ballot there. They needed 1,000 signatures. By law, they are only allowed to have the doors to the hall open for one hour, then close the doors and have the people sign. They made sure the had more than enough, 1,150 he said, and closed the doors. The problem came when they went to get signatures, a lot of the people would not sign because they were Dems. He said this was a Democratic effort to keep him off the ballot. He also said he went to Kery about it and told him to stop it or "you'll be in trouble for a 'mini Watergate.'"

I thought this was interesting. Maybe Apu can expound or give a link to any stories.

I'm not sure about all states but I know in some states, if you voted in the primaries, you are unable to sign a petition for a candidate. So he could only get people that didn't vote in the primary.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/07/1354230

That's a transcript of a show with Amy Goodman and her guest, Ralph Nader. Nader details a lot of what he you heard on the news, MrEye.

I personally don't like Nader and really feel he should be helping to cement the Green party as an established 3rd party. I had no problem getting signatures for both the Greens and the Libertarians to get Senate, Presidential and VP candidates on the ballot for IL without Dems/GOP saying they wouldn't sign to keep them off the ballot. But that's just me in a highly limited sample. It wouldn't surprise me though if there were some people who are trying to subvert Nader's campaign for saying that he cost Gore the 2000 election.

Firstly, DBT Choicepoint and Katherine Harris cost Gore the election removing 57,000+ legal voters from the voter rolls in FL. Secondly, people do not owe their votes to either party. It is up to the party and the candidate to tailor their platforms in order to earn peoples' votes (I know, a really novel idea, haha). The idea that Nader "stole" the election in 2000 is putting the blame where it does not belong as the parties that deserve the blame are detailed above in this paragraph.

If the Green Party wants to become a legitimate force in US politics, it needs to stop being a bunch of nutjobs. Their platform, and anyone that seriously thinks about moving further left of the Democrats would probably read it, calls for elimination of one of the houses of Congress.

Although this is distasteful what is happening to Nader, it ain't illegal. It's not playing nice, but who in this race IS playing nice?

The idea that Nader "stole" the election in 2000 is putting the blame where it does not belong as the parties that deserve the blame are detailed above in this paragraph.

I couldn't agree more. They MAY have a point, but in so many words: suck it up. It's not much different than what Perot did in 1992 and 1996.