Maggs Activated

Weird, i thought Thomas was going to go on the DL instead.

I think Maggs is probably close to coming back, maybe even PH today. I think they want to get Diaz and Rauch regular work at AAA rather than bullpen work in the majors.

Thomas could easily go on after todays game and call Borchard or whoever up for tomorrows

I think Maggs is probably close to coming back, maybe even PH today.  I think they want to get Diaz and Rauch regular work at AAA rather than bullpen work in the majors.

Thomas could easily go on after todays game and call Borchard or whoever up for tomorrows

One of these guys could have 5th starter work at MLB level soon, too

official Sox release:

WHITE SOX REINSTATE MAGGLIO ORDONEZ FROM DISABLED LIST;

OPTION FELIX DIAZ TO CLASS AAA CHARLOTTE;

CHICAGO – Prior to today’s game vs. Anaheim, the Chicago White Sox reinstated outfielder Magglio Ordonez from the 15-day disabled list and optioned right-handed pitcher Felix Diaz to Class AAA Charlotte. Ordonez will be available for today’s 1:05 p.m. contest vs. the Angels.

Ordonez, 30, was placed on the disabled list on June 4th (retroactive to June 26th) with a torn meniscus in his left knee. The four-time All-Star underwent surgery on June 5th and has missed the last 36 games (Sox went 17-19). He was hitting .311 (52-167) with eight home runs and 34 RBI in 42 games at the time he was disabled.

Diaz, 23, went 1-2 with an 8.71 ERA (20 ER/20.2 IP) in five games (four starts) since being recalled from the Knights. The 6-foot-1, right-hander did not factor in the decision in his major league debut on 5/13 vs. Baltimore (5 ER/

4.1 IP). He was 8-2 with a 3.51 ERA (30 ER/77.0 IP) in 13 starts with Charlotte at the time of his promotion.

-30-

© 2004 Chicago White Sox

Maybe Maggs is going to be dealt. I don't think you can trade a guy on the DL so they took him off it so he could be available for trade. :huh PURE SPECULATION

You CAN trade a guy on the dl so that doesn't matter. It seems really odd that they reinstated him so quickly because all the talk was about him coming back after the allstar break.

If Frank has the surgery they are saying he'll be out 4-6 weeks. That means he'd more than likely be back in late August and we'd have a healthy, rested Frank Thomas for the September stretch drive ..... that's assuming we are still in the race at that point.

Chisox.com says:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_cws&fext=.jsp

.....As Carlos Lee said after Wednesday's 12-0 loss, the team just hasn't been hitting. The offense had a .160 average (27-for-148) with nine runs scored over their last six games, of which the last five were defeats, before Thursday's nine-run, 15-hit assault on the Angels.

With that problem in mind, the White Sox reinstated Ordonez without a minor league rehab assignment. Ordonez had missed 36 straight games and 38 total because of injury this season. The White Sox were 17-19 during his latest absence and 18-20 overall without Ordonez.

Ordonez, who was hitting .311 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 42 games at the time he was disabled on June 4 (retroactive to May 26), underwent arthroscopic surgery on June 5 to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. But he passed an important and final test on Wednesday and Thursday, running without pain.

"I'm not going to go crazy. I'm going to take it easy, but I'm still going to play my game," Ordonez said after Thursday's 9-8 come-from-behind victory. "If I need to run hard, then I will. If I don't need to run really hard, then I won't do it. I'm going to take it easy tomorrow.

After Schneider, Ordonez and Guillen conferred during pregame batting practice Thursday, Ordonez was activated. He will serve as the team's designated hitter this weekend.

After his extensive morning workouts, involving extra running and hitting, Ordonez wasn't available to pinch hit in Thursday's game, despite a couple of situations that availed themselves to his talents. Guillen also didn't want to put in Ordonez cold against Major League pitching, as he will be doing Friday.

"He was going to play this weekend in the minor leagues, so what's the difference," said Guillen, when asked about Ordonez foregoing a rehab assignment. "If he's going to be 0-for-7 there, then he can be 0-for- 7 here. I will take that chance if he plays designated hitter."

"I haven't played the last five weeks, but I've been taking batting practice," added Ordonez, who said he could start in right field by Sunday's first-half finale. "The swing is going to be there. I just have to get my timing down. I have to go sooner or later, and I will start tomorrow and hopefully I can do something."

According to Guillen, he came up with the idea to use Ordonez after Wednesday's defeat. With Ordonez being in the fifth week of a four-to-six week recovery period, the risk is not as great.

Guillen also said Thursday that the move to activate Ordonez probably would be predicated by Thomas being put on the disabled list. Ordonez agreed, mentioning that he was headed to Charlotte for a minor league rehab otherwise.

No official move was announced Thursday. But the question regarding Thomas' status sounds more to be how long as opposed to when.

"You would rather not do (surgery)," Schneider said of Thomas. "When you go in to operate, you open up a whole other can of worms with scar tissue or more damage to the ankle from the cleaning up. You would rather not do it, but if it leaves you no choice, then you don't have any other option.

"It has the potential to bother him the rest of the year. He's got some garbage in his ankle and it's there. We can calm down the inflammation and he either can deal with it or he can't."