Don't throw it back

Goober

If catching a MLB-issue ball #5653872022 hit by an enemy, and then building a shrine for it at home makes you feel better about yourself, then YOU have even bigger problems.....right back atcha.

How can anyone argue that?? :notworthy

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If catching a MLB-issue ball #5653872022 hit by an enemy, and then building a shrine for it at home makes you feel better about yourself, then YOU have even bigger problems.....right back atcha.

I'd rather give it to a kid MY way....When was the last time YOU gave it to a kid?

who said build a shrine? might as well keep it since you might not get another one. just my opinion

who said build a shrine? might as well keep it since you might not get another one. just my opinion

im pretty sure he was being sarcastic due to the ammount of people on this board who have said stuff about how special catching a HR ball is and how "once in a lifetime" it is

I understood that, BF, but I just thought it was kind of harsh to throw that label on anyone who disagreed with your preference, that's all....

"Those who disgaree with my preference"? Since when have you been talking like a Cubbie f*g, maaaan?

No, I was referring to the fascist f***s who'd love for me to be in Nick Berg's place if I ever threw the ball back in what they perceive to be *their* ballpark. I was actually being kind in my characterization.

And I could care less about drunken peer pressure at Wrigley. It has nothing to do with the Cubs. Or pressure. f*** them, I do as I please.

How can anyone argue that??  :notworthy

I can argue it by saying "who the hell has done that"

Besides, i'd have much more respect for someone if they brought it home and put it on their desk or something as opposed to acting like a hooligan and throwing it on the field

Besides, i'd have much more respect for someone if they brought it home and put it on their desk or something as opposed to acting like a hooligan and throwing it on the field

Honestly, Ive never done it...

Ive never even gotten a foul ball...

I've never even touched a ball, HR or foul. When I go to a game I find the closest father/son combo and tell the kid if I catch a ball it's his. There's nothing more pure to me about baseball than a father and son going to a game.

And I can counter that with

"Cut the crap. We all know why most people wouldn't throw the ball back even if it were not frowned upon - it makes them feel special in one way or another, consciously or subconsciously. The self-serving brand of intellectual dishonesty you got going here ain't foolin' me."

And I can counter that with

"Cut the crap. We all know why most people wouldn't throw the ball back even if it were not frowned upon - it makes them feel special in one way or another, consciously or subconsciously.    The self-serving brand of intellectual dishonesty you got going here ain't foolin' me."

"Cut the crap. We all know why people throw the ball back. They want to look cool and be cheered in front of the few hundred people around them. Not throwing it back results in boos and only a few cheers from the season ticket holders behind the place that can't even be heard. To not throw it back is turning down a moment in the sun (and moment to look like a jackass to good sox fans)"

Please, Brando

Since when have you been talking like a Cubbie f*g, maaaan?

Hmmm???

There are SOME who would ask this question of you, given your glowing reviews of all things Cubbie in the Sports Bar. ;) :D

I was just responding to the insinuation that anyone who wouldn't throw it back is somehow a member of some indoctrinated clan, while anyone who WOULD is a free-thinking nonconformist. Probably not the way you meant it, but it did come across that way, at least to me.

"Cut the crap. We all know why people throw the ball back. They want to look cool and be cheered in front of the few hundred people around them. Not throwing it back results in boos and only a few cheers from the season ticket holders behind the place that can't even be heard. To not throw it back is turning down a moment in the sun (and moment to look like a jackass to good sox fans)"

Please, Brando

The problem is....

Throwing the ball back gets you VERY few cheers at Comiskey, trust me. Oops there floats THAT arguementative balloon of yours.

And when I hopefully catch a HR hit by a Sox player, I won't be throwing it back. Oops again - why would I pass up on such opportunity to "bask in the glory" if that really were the reason for throwing it back? If it really WAS all about the attention, wouldn't I catch the ball, than preen and pose a bit, then FAKE throwing it back - before triumphantly displaying the ball to the crowds in one smooth act of mocking the abhorent Cubbie Tradition.....Wouldn't that maximize the cheer factor AND allow me to actually keep the ball which I could later display to my shallow, jerkwad friends? :)

But you WERE right without even knowing it: it IS about me. It felt good throwing it and I recall being mini-proud of myself, albeit for different reasons than you ham-handedly stated. But then 5 minutes later, I forgot about the whole thing -- none of that life-long shrine-building, ball-hugging, reminiscing YOU and your ilk engage in when you float on helium the entire week after catching a foul-ball...during batting practice.

Oh and if you hadn't heard upthread....when you throw it back, the kid gets it anyway - from a player/coach no less. :cheers :lol:

It was a haha... (note to self: make no more jokes cuz I suck at it!)

No, I got it... ;)

Perhaps it would be different if folks on both sides of the argument could refrain from taking shots at eachother...

No, I got it... ;)

Perhaps it would be different if folks on both sides of the argument could refrain from taking shots at eachother...

Agreed.

I think maybe I am getting so used to pot shots here that I am not even noticing it anymore. :huh