Wildcard anyone?

CWSOX45

Let the Twins have the Wild Card; I want the Divison.

Well on 2nd thought....the Wild Card winner has fared well the past few years in the playoffs.....

Hmm.....

Get into the playoffs anyway possible but I think it's to early to look at the wild card, especially when the sox are closer to the division lead.

Get into the playoffs anyway possible but I think it's to early to look at the wild card, especially when the sox are closer to the division lead.

I know it's early, I just thought it was interesting.

Seriously, when was the last time you could say the word "White Sox" and "Wildcard team" in the same sentence.

CWSOX45

The Twins and Sox have legitimate shots at the wildcard. Esp. w/ the Royals in selloff mode and Det. should fall back down to earth in the 2nd half. Cle. should be tougher though. The Sox have more games vs Det., and Minn. has more with Clev.

Teams in the East and west have three teams to contend with.

Right now the Sox are only 2 games out of the wildcard. I'd be happy if this years wildcard came out of the central division.

CWSOX45

Can't see it happening for these two reasons,

1) AL West - Oakland have been hampered by injury. They just got Eric Chavez back, and Barry Zito hasn't pitched well at all. You know Billy Beane will pick up someone good at the deadline. Anaheim have been even worse with their injuries, and if Fartolo Colon can become Bartolo again, this team WILL get hot. And no, Texas doesn't have much of a chance, unless Tom Hicks decides to allow their GM to get a quality arm. Good hitting can only carry you for so long.

2) AL East - Yanks have got this division. Red Sox will come back strong though, if Derek Lowe can get out of his funk, they've got some good deep pitching again. And imagine if they got Roger Clemens. :o

Anaheim have been even worse with their injuries, and if Fartolo Colon can become Bartolo again, this team WILL get hot.

That's the only team hat scares me in the playoffs. They have YET to get everyone healthy, and imagine if Bartolo would have pitched like his Montreal dayz (hell even his whitesox dayz?) That would be a scary line-up and rotation to face.

That's the only team hat scares me in the playoffs. They have YET to get everyone healthy, and imagine if Bartolo would have pitched like his Montreal dayz (hell even his whitesox dayz?) That would be a scary line-up and rotation to face.

Interesting.

Here's what I'm scared of:

HALL OF FAME CALIBER STARTERS

The Red Sox, Athletics, and Yankees have them.

But the only team that you're scared of is the Angels, the team with average starting pitchers? Hmmmmmmmm.

Interesting.

Here's what I'm scared of:

HALL OF FAME CALIBER STARTERS

The Red Sox, Athletics, and Yankees have them.

But the only team that you're scared of is the Angels, the team with average starting pitchers? Hmmmmmmmm.

Yea, The team that also won the WS with those "average" starters.. hmmmmmmm... ;) I wouldn't say Washburn, Escobar, Colon, Lackey etc.. are an "average" rotation. And yankees, oak., red sox have calibar "hall of fame" starters??? :lol: Your talking out of your ass on this one. Vasquez is good yes. Mussina is so-so this year. Brown can't stay healthy. Contreras isnt that good. Redsox another story. Pedro, yes. Lowe has been so-so. Wakefield has been so-so. that's basically it. Oakland hmmmm... Zito has sucked this year. Hudson (if he can stay healthy) has been good. Mulder has been decent. Harden is so-so. Redman... no. That's it. Nice try. ;)

Yea, The team that also won the WS with those "average" starters.. hmmmmmmm... ;)  I wouldn't say Washburn, Escobar, Colon, Lackey etc.. are an "average" rotation. And yankees, oak., red sox have calibar "hall of fame" starters??? :lol: Your talking out of your ass on this one. Vasquez is good yes. Mussina is so-so this year. Brown can't stay healthy. Contreras isnt that good. Redsox another story. Pedro, yes. Lowe has been so-so. Wakefield has been so-so. that's basically it. Oakland hmmmm... Zito has sucked this year. Hudson (if he can stay healthy) has been good. Mulder has been decent. Harden is so-so. Redman... no. That's it. Nice try. ;)

You forgot about Schilling.

Yes, Pedro, Schilling, Mulder, Hudson, Brown, Mussina, and Vazquez are all hall of fame caliber starters. Caliber being the key word. ;)

And you don't agree with that? :bang

Come October, Mussina and Brown will be fine. Mussina is a first ballot hall of famer, and Brown would have been if not for all of the injuries throughout the nineties.

Vazquez is phenomenal. He'll only get better.

Those 7 that I listed (Pedro, Schilling, Mulder, Hudson, Brown, Mussina, and Vazquez) are seven of the Top 15 starters in baseball. That is damn near HALF of the best 15 starters in baseball spread out over 3 teams!!!!!! That is our playoff competition.

Now please, continue with your "I'm only scared of the Angels talk". :lol:

That Angels rotation is average or slightly above average. Their bread and butter in 2002 was that bullpen and offense.

I will not accept the Wild Card. Though the last two World Series were decided by the Wild Card, I think its a sad excuse for the White Sox to get in the playoffs. We must get Steve Finley and/or Jason Kendall and win this division.

I will not accept the Wild Card. Though the last two World Series were decided by the Wild Card, I think its a sad excuse for the White Sox to get in the playoffs. We must get Steve Finley and/or Jason Kendall and win this division.

Wow....I think I'll take any ticket to the playoffs possible. How can you nitpick on how we win, when we haven't since 1917?

I have a different judgement than you. I believe that it should just be divisions, and that if you do not win the division you should not be considered a play off team. With what we have right now, I expect that we must win the divison.

In our particular case, home field advantage is huge. If you subtract the games versus Minnesota, what is our road record? It's ugly.

What I'd like to see:

1st round

Sox vs. Red Sox or Angels (Hopefully the Angels)

Yankees vs. As (Maybe the Athletics can finally beat those capitalist pigs)

2nd Round

Sox vs. As (Marte will have to throw at Chavez again ;) )

Homefield advantage in the 1st round against the Angels or Red Sox & Garcia's familiarity with the Athletics hitters in the 2nd round are vital. That's three starts for Freddy in that series, if need be.

If we get the Yankees in the 2nd round, well, there's really no need for me to elaborate on the potential outcome.

And let's not even get into potential NL opponents in the World Series. :fthecubs

You forgot about Schilling.

Yes, Pedro, Schilling, Mulder, Hudson, Brown, Mussina, and Vazquez are all hall of fame caliber starters.  Caliber being the key word. ;)

And you don't agree with that? :bang

Come October, Mussina and Brown will be fine.  Mussina is a first ballot hall of famer, and Brown would have been if not for all of the injuries throughout the nineties.

Vazquez is phenomenal.  He'll only get better.

Those 7 that I listed (Pedro, Schilling, Mulder, Hudson, Brown, Mussina, and Vazquez) are seven of the Top 15 starters in baseball.  That is damn near HALF of the best 15 starters in baseball spread out over 3 teams!!!!!!  That is our playoff competition. 

Now please, continue with your "I'm only scared of the Angels talk". :lol:

That Angels rotation is average or slightly above average.  Their bread and butter in 2002 was that bullpen and offense.

Please. Brown(hurt) and Mussina(sucking, ERA over 5) are far from the top 15, and the way Pedro has been pitching(several shellings, not a ton of innings), I doubt he is either. Garcia has outpitched all of those 3, and Buehrle has done better than the first two. You could easily argue that 4 of the top 15 are on the Cubs(2 is my vote, I think Wood and Clement are overrated. Great stuff, highly inconsistent), 2 on the Marlins if Beckett is healthy, and clearly Schmidt is in there. Plus there are those ageless wonders Johnson and Clemens, maybe Glavine too the way he has been pitching. Sabathia, Sheets, and Santana also must be considered. Even assuming all of those guys are that good, you're going to face two in each series(3 if Brown is healthy, ha! :D ). You beat one of two and they are screwed. Buehrle and Garland have already come up with nice starts against really good pitchers(Mulder, Santana).

Please. Brown(hurt) and Mussina(sucking, ERA over 5) are far from the top 15, and the way Pedro has been pitching(several shellings, not a ton of innings), I doubt he is either. Garcia has outpitched all of those 3, and Buehrle has done better than the first two. You could easily argue that 4 of the top 15 are on the Cubs(2 is my vote, I think Wood and Clement are overrated. Great stuff, highly inconsistent), 2 on the Marlins if Beckett is healthy, and clearly Schmidt is in there. Plus there are those ageless wonders Johnson and Clemens, maybe Glavine too the way he has been pitching. Sabathia, Sheets, and Santana also must be considered. Even assuming all of those guys are that good, you're going to face two in each series(3 if Brown is healthy, ha! :D ). You beat one of two and they are screwed. Buehrle and Garland have already come up with nice starts against really good pitchers(Mulder, Santana).

It wasnt even worth posting to that crap he was saying. :headshake rolleyeyes.gif

I didnt.. :lol: It would have wasted my time.

It wasnt even worth posting to that crap he was saying. :headshake  rolleyeyes.gif

I didnt.. :lol: It would have wasted my time.

I enjoy getting pissed off at posts like this. I can't have baseball discussions with my Cub fan friend(some of the arguments feel like this... :banghead ) while I am at home, so I gotta find some place to find arguments that I can tear holes in. :D

I enjoy getting pissed off at posts like this. I can't have baseball discussions with my Cub fan friend(some of the arguments feel like this... :banghead ) while I am at home, so I gotta find some place to find arguments that I can tear holes in. :D

Understandable. :)

The Twins and Sox have legitimate shots at the wildcard. Esp. w/ the Royals in selloff mode and Det. should fall back down to earth in the 2nd half. Cle. should be tougher though. The Sox have more games vs Det., and Minn. has more with Clev.

Teams in the East and west have three teams to contend with.

Also, you can't forget that Minnesota has a ton of games in August against the AL West...Coming out of the gate after the All Star break, they have like a 2 1/2 week span where they're only home for a TWO-GAME SERIES as well! September favors us too.

I'm really seeing a divisional title here for the south siders!!!

Yea, The team that also won the WS with those "average" starters.. hmmmmmmm... ;)  I wouldn't say Washburn, Escobar, Colon, Lackey etc.. are an "average" rotation. And yankees, oak., red sox have calibar "hall of fame" starters??? :lol: Your talking out of your ass on this one. Vasquez is good yes. Mussina is so-so this year. Brown can't stay healthy. Contreras isnt that good. Redsox another story. Pedro, yes. Lowe has been so-so. Wakefield has been so-so. that's basically it. Oakland hmmmm... Zito has sucked this year. Hudson (if he can stay healthy) has been good. Mulder has been decent. Harden is so-so. Redman... no. That's it. Nice try. ;)

I can't believe you just said Mulder is decent... I would give him the ball the first game of the season over any of our starters right now. Mulder is a bad ass hampered by injuries. Just think what his numbers would have looked like last season if he didn't get hurt? Halladay Cy Young winner :puke I would have picked Mulder. Now since I said that I expect him on the South Side in the future :headbang :headbang :headbang

How great would that be.... Anyway back to reality. He's a stud.

I can't believe you just said Mulder is decent...

I said this year!! Usually Mulder is too good and has good stuff esp. the past 2 seasons. Injuries has stopped him some and he has been figured out some (not like Zito though who's having a horrid year) Yes, he would be great here but that's beside the question.

Mulder is decent this year? Ha Ha, Have you looked at his numbers, 12-2 with a 3 era, he has 2 or 3 complete games, hasn't lost a start since april. These numbers are better than the last 2 seasons. I would take him over all of our starters right now!

Mulder is decent this year? Ha Ha,  Have you looked at his numbers,  12-2 with a 3 era,  he has 2 or 3 complete games,  hasn't lost a start since april.  These numbers are better than the last 2 seasons. I would take him over all of our starters right now!

didn't he pitch 3 complete game winners in a row?

the guy is unbelievable.

however, how does he perform in the playoffs? I've forgotten, but for some reason had the feeling he didn't fare so well there.