Colon's new change up

YASNY

I haven't seen mention of it here on the board, so I'll drop this little bit of info from the Daily Herald on you:

• Bartolo Colon used to rare back and blow his 100-mph fastball by helpless hitters. Now that he's added a nasty changeup, the White Sox' imported ace is looking more and more like a 25-game winner this season.

I haven't seen mention of it here on the board, so I'll drop this little bit of info from the Daily Herald on you:

• Bartolo Colon used to rare back and blow his 100-mph fastball by helpless hitters. Now that he's added a nasty changeup, the White Sox' imported ace is looking more and more like a 25-game winner this season.

Gulp. Who wrote that? Haven't seen the article, but it wouldn't suprise me if Scot Gregor wrote it....he can be a bit optimistic at times....25 wins in 33/34 starts would be one helleva accomplishment...can happen, but I think realistically the best we can hope for is a solid 20...

....lets not go crazy... :lol:

Gulp. Who wrote that? Haven't seen the article, but it wouldn't suprise me if Scot Gregor wrote it....he can be a bit optimistic at times....25 wins in 33/34 starts would be one helleva accomplishment...can happen, but I think realistically the best we can hope for is a solid 20...

Yep, it was Gregor.

Yep, it was Gregor.

I'll tell you though, he was DAMN impressive yesterday, and if actually has developed a change that he can throw 3-2, holy s***....we could be in for something really special this year.... :headbang

We all know that Bartolo Colon is an excellent pitcher capable of many things. I don't think this new change-up will propel Colon all the way to 25-wins this season. I'll stick with 20 as well. We'll have to see how well he does after about a month of the season until we can make a pretty good judgement as where Colon will be in the W-coulmn come September.

if this is true then KW should ink him long term now...cause if he improves on what he did last year the price will only go up

Uh yeah....why take the risk?

Get Colon signed long term atleast at midseason, and Buehrle in the same time period as well. And if Thomas has a good year...I wouldn't even f*** around with his mutual options. I'd lock him up as well.

We'll also have to look at Maggs before too long as well....I can't frickin believe he'll make $14 mill in 2004....that's huge, and too damn much in the new CBA....he'd have to be in the top friggin 10(unincluding Yankees)

if this is true then KW should ink him long term now...cause if he improves on what he did last year the price will only go up

Uh yeah....why take the risk?

Get Colon signed long term atleast at midseason, and Buehrle in the same time period as well. And if Thomas has a good year...I wouldn't even f*** around with his mutual options. I'd lock him up as well.

We'll also have to look at Maggs before too long as well....I can't frickin believe he'll make $14 mill in 2004....that's huge, and too damn much in the new CBA....he'd have to be in the top friggin 10(unincluding Yankees)

i got a feeling...i hope im wrong but if we do ink buehrle and colon long term and frank kicks ass so we renue him too maggs could end up the odd man out..especially if borchard ends up on the sox and really takes off...unless we go to the series i dont think JR will pay for all 4 of the guys...its not that we cant afford it..i think we could resign everyone at a total of 70 - 75 million but i dont see JR letting that happen...our only hope is he realizes he is getting old and cant take the money with him and decides iots time to get that world series before he dies..chances of that happening???

I know you haven't forgotten who we're dealing with here Baggs. JR is reluctant to sign MB, who has won 35 games for us over two seasons. JR is in no rush to sign Colon longterm..... especially since he has yet to win one game in a White Sox uniform. Sign MB first, then Colon.

And, some may think I'm crazy for thinking this, but I think alot of whether or not JR will be willing to sign Colon longterm later on this season will have to do with how one Jon Garland pitches. Think about it..... if he can win 15+, we have the second best 1,2,3 in baseball (Yankees). He loses and is, again, inconsistent, you know the rest of the story.....

Woa! If this is the case, we'll be steamrolling our way to a beautiful late October evening!

I know you haven't forgotten who we're dealing with here Baggs. JR is reluctant to sign MB, who has won 35 games for us over two seasons. JR is in no rush to sign Colon longterm..... especially since he has yet to win one game in a White Sox uniform. Sign MB first, then Colon.

And, some may think I'm crazy for thinking this, but I think alot of whether or not JR will be willing to sign Colon longterm later on this season will have to do with how one Jon Garland pitches. Think about it..... if he can win 15+, we have the second best 1,2,3 in baseball (Yankees). He loses and is, again, inconsistent, you know the rest of the story.....

Killa....I agree with what you say, except that the Yanks have the best 1-2-3 punch in the league. I personally feel their 1-2-3 isn't that great....and that even now we have a better 1-2-3 than them. I'd say Oakland's is the best....and after that, I am clueless. Boston could be, with Lowe, Pedro and Wakefield....if Garland pitches awesome(and he very well could), we could have it....if Radke, Santana(taking Milton's spot) and Mays produce like they did in 01...they could....Seattle could be, New York might be(but I don't think so)....it's tough after that.

But Oakland most definately has the best, IMO. When you get 3 pitchers that young and that good on your team....you got something special. If the A's can sign those guys and keep them in Oak-town....holy s***. Watch out....Oakland could be good for quite a few years.

But Oakland most definately has the best, IMO.

No..... you're right. I thought about Oakland as soon as I hit the "Post Reply" button. While the Yanks have a good 1,2,3 punch, their punch is aging. The A's, on the other hand, have a young and very hungry 1,2,3 punch. I agree with your opinion witesoxfan :headbang

If we absolutely had to, who would you rather see we let go after this season? Colon, Buerhle, or MaGs?

Personally, I would have to let Colon go because he's getting kinda old, and we could do without him, and both Buerhle and Maggs still have quite a few good years left in them.

Colon is still in his 20's. Hes not that old, hes getting into his prime. A 4-5 year deal for him would be GREAT!

IT might also help resign maggs and bhurle... becuase it shows we are commited to winning.

If we are going to trim salary, i see it coming from Losing guys Lee, and maybe valintin (hes a FA after this year). Also I bet we dont pick up franks option after this year. Force him to use his...

I would also rather see Kong shipped out before maggs is.