Loaiza searching for answers

greasywheels121

Loaiza searching for answers

All-Star pitcher will rely on cut fastball more after break

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The first half of the 2004 season has been a mystery for White Sox starter Esteban Loaiza, filled with high hit totals, more home runs allowed (18) than the 17 he gave up in all of 2003, and the highest earned run average of any pitcher participating in Tuesday's All-Star Game in Houston.

But Loaiza is removing the mystery for the second half of the season, a move aimed at returning the right-hander to his Cy Young-caliber form of last season. Loaiza again will be featuring the cut fastball more frequently, staying away from using that pitch too often from April through mid-July because it's what the hitters expected.

"I don't care if they know it's coming," said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper of Loaiza's cutter. "If he throws the cutter and drives the cutter, it's a difficult pitch to deal with.

"Esteban may have outsmarted himself a little bit. Last year, he was a new pitcher to the league, so to speak, with the addition of the cutter. He thinks that people know it's coming, so that led to a little bit of hesitation using it. Maybe that's the pitch that made him successful, so go with it."

Loaiza's numbers aren't exactly perfect support for his All-Star selection, but it has been the last three starts that have really been the trouble spot. Loaiza allowed a career-high 13 hits over 5 1/3 innings in a no-decision Thursday against Anaheim and has given up 31 hits and 16 earned runs in 16 1/3 innings during the last three trips to the mound.

Throwing strikes never has been the veteran's problem and isn't again in 2004, with 39 walks in 120 2/3 innings. But keeping the opposing bats off of the ball was Loaiza's downfall in the past, allowing more hits than innings pitched in every season prior to last year, and getting tagged for 134 hits this season.

A drop in velocity has plagued Loaiza for a good part of the current season, leading to arm trouble speculation. He admitted to battling a tired shoulder on Sunday, but the move away from the cutter and a re-focus on the sinker and fastball has helped the opposition handle all pitches coming their way where Loaiza is concerned.

"I know a lot of players studied me for this season and they are getting to me," Loaiza said. "But I'm going to turn it around in the second half. I'm forgetting about what happened in the first half and coming back with a different attitude and just going to throw the ball and see what happens."

"We still have confidence in Loaiza," Cooper added. "We have to get back to a more aggressive approach. Some times, he looks like he's guiding the ball and not aggressive with first-pitch strikes and getting ahead."

Cooper pointed to Loaiza's ability to jump in front of hitters and then finish them off quickly with the cutter as a major factor in his 21-9 effort in 2003, with a 2.90 ERA and an American League-best 207 strikeouts.

But even manager Ozzie Guillen sounded as if he had a few doubts in the 8-4 version of Loaiza, with a 4.77 ERA.

Guillen explained that even before Loaiza's recent struggles, he didn't expect another 21-victory effort from the right-hander. He does believe Loaiza can win anywhere between 15 and 18 games with a strong second half.

"There's no doubt about it," said Guillen of continued high expectations for Loaiza. "I think he will step up and make the jump in the second half, when it really counts.

"Will people see the same Esteban Loaiza as last year? I hope so, but I doubt it. I just want quality starts from him."

Guillen went on to praise Loaiza as one of the main reasons the White Sox stayed in contention for the American League Central title during the first half. It's an important second half for Loaiza, who needs to be successful for the team's sake but also to earn a sizable raise on the open market in the off-season.

Many people have written off Loaiza, pointing to the 2003 effort as a career exception instead of what was thought to be a career turnaround. Loaiza, Cooper and Guillen are not among that group.

The 32-year-old hurler will enjoy his second straight trip to the Midsummer Classic, while reviewing videotapes of last season's success. When Loaiza gets to Oakland, he plans to cut through all his mound problems between now and October.

"My cutter is my bread-and-butter pitch, but I haven't thrown it as much because hitters are expecting it," Loaiza said. "I'm going to try to use it to my advantage in the second half. I've been doing the best job possible, but things just haven't been going my way."

"I told him yesterday that the act of pitching is a violent act, done under control," added Cooper, who also wants to see Loaiza improve his tempo and rhythm on the mound. "I'm seeing plenty of control but not enough violence. That's aggressiveness."

I wish he miraculously regained his velocity, that would help him extremly. His 90-91 mile an hour fastball is getting smoked.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. It's amazing what a few less miles can do to someone's fastball. Last year he was consistently 93 or 94 with his fastball. Now he's topping out at 90 or 91. It doesn't seem like much. But obviously it is. He's also gotta cut down on the hr's he's serving up. He's on pace to give up damn near 40 bombs.

Yeah,  I forgot to mention that.  It's amazing what a few less miles can do to someone's fastball.  Last year he was consistently 93 or 94 with his fastball.  Now he's topping out at 90 or 91.  It doesn't seem like much.  But obviously it is.  He's also gotta cut down on the hr's he's serving up.  He's on pace to give up damn near 40 bombs.

Both loaiza and buehrle are tied for 11th in all of base with 18 home runs given up. :puke

The HRs are a concern for sure, but I don't mind them as much if they're solo shots.

Esty HAS to cut down on the hits allowed, that's the biggest concern in my mind. Rallies are way more damaging than the solo HR, especially the way the Sox offense can score.