Where were you 25 years ago today?

witesoxfan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thirteen years old at the time and hated disco. Since I was 13, I was a fairly irrational soul still and I thought the whole thing was awesome. The beautiful thing is that I always thought it signaled the end of a horrifying period of music as it quickly became cool to hate disco.

With regard to Steve Dahl, I've had brief periods of time in my life where I listened to him regularly. He's far from the most obnoxious DJ out there but I generally found him boring after a period of time. It's been 15 years since I heard his voice at this point since I now live in Colorado so I haven't a clue what his currenct schitck is.

Ultimately, this is one of many nights that make being a White Sox fan a truly liberating experience. No other sports team has our richness and character. SOUTH SIDE FOREVER!

I wasn't even close to being born, and my parents had not yet met. However, my dad went to the game and my mom had a chance to go, but didn't for whatever reason. I think that's pretty cool that both of them could have gone before they even knew each other.

I was 16 years old, watching in embarrassment as a hack DJ f***ed up a Sox game.

25 years later, I still ignore the hack DJ and I still think back in embarrassment at that debacle.

Come on Critic, fess up -- both?

:snr

Edited by southsider2k4

Come on Critic, fess up --  or both? 

If I may be so blunt:

What the f*** kind of question is that?

I'll assume you're somewhat serious, with the absence of green.

That is asinine and insulting on so many levels it's absurd.

If it makes any difference to you, I am a heterosexual caucasian with one child.

( JimH can investigate to verify if he'd like.... :D ;) )

I hope you simply forgot to put that horrid question in green. I've always enjoyed going back and forth with you, but if those are your true beliefs then I just don't know...interesting how "f*g" gets an asterisk, but the N-word flies out unfiltered...

Edited by southsider2k4

Joke or no joke, no way will this be tolerated.  It has been addressed by me.

and thanks for that

you are right of course and it needs to be pointed out sometimes, alas it is not remembered as it should be

some things are not tolerated

my apologies to Critic and everyone that something like this happened

Sorry cw, I didn't see this before I did it.  I had already done it by the time I saw this post.

You made the right call Mike, I agree it shouldn't be on here...If anyone wants to know what it said, PM me and I'll tell you.

Quite simply the greatest night I ever spent at Comiskey Park in my life.

I got off the EL at noon, clutching "Boogie Oogie Oogie" in my hand so I could get in for 98 cents. By some miracle, we managed to get upper deck box right next to the press booth on the first base side behind home plate.

Our music, our voice, our lifestyle, our ROCK was being threatened with extinction. If you didn't wear platform shoes, hang-glider leisure suits and 20 pounds of gold around your neck, you didn't exist. The Rolling Stones had sold out. PAUL McCARTNEY released "Goodnight Tonight". MY HERO WENT DISCO. Fahchrissakes, BLUE OYSTER CULT, my metal idols, had just released a disco album. (Remember "Mirrors"?) I always hated Rod Stewart, so f*** him anyway.

Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll was being steamrolled by social status, fashion, coke, greed, money, and vacuous, empty, passionless music and women. (Gee, sounds like Wrigley Field today, don't it?) We had been sitting silently, watching the greatest musical idols of our childhood sell out to Studio 57 and the spinny, glittery disco balls and lit dance floors. Suddenly, you had to look a certain way, adpot a certain specific fake persona, to be accepted and admitted to bars and nightclubs. Yeah, I was 17 at the time, but we still could go to Wisconsin in that era.

Steve Dahl was the voice of a downtrodden, yet proud generation. Rock was an endagered species. Keith Moon had just died. Our ideals, our souls, our passions were crumbling around us. I know so many people from that time that said listening to "Quadrophenia" basically saved their lives...

But I digress.

It simply had to happen. The day, the time, the era, the anger, the angst, the symbolism of that dumpster full of disco records on that night, the conditions were just too perfect...we were mad as hell and we weren't gonna take it anymore. The man with the greatest influence in Chicago culture at that time was STANDING UP FOR US!! He was the voice of our generation and he was followed onto that field.

It wasn't a riot. Nobody got hurt. People made love behind second base. It was Woodstock without music or mud. It was a gathering of harmless kids basically having a simultaneous orgasm that someone finally stood up for them, for their passions, for the sound they grew up with, for the lifeblood of their heart and soul, rock and roll.

I didn't go on the field that night...and I don't regret that...but I don't hold one damn bit of hostility for my fellow rockers who did.

I swore I'd never do this...but I'm so moved right now, I'm going to put one of those silly wee moving heads at the end here...LONG LOVE ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!

Quite simply the greatest night I ever spent at Comiskey Park in my life.

I got off the EL at noon, clutching "Boogie Oogie Oogie" in my hand so I could get in for 98 cents.  By some miracle, we managed to get upper deck box right next to the press booth on the first base side behind home plate.

Our music, our voice, our lifestyle, our ROCK was being threatened with extinction.  If you didn't wear platform shoes, hang-glider leisure suits and 20 pounds of gold around your neck, you didn't exist.  The Rolling Stones had sold out.  PAUL McCARTNEY released "Goodnight Tonight".  MY HERO WENT DISCO.  Fahchrissakes, BLUE OYSTER CULT, my metal idols, had just released a disco album.  (Remember "Mirrors"?)  I always hated Rod Stewart, so f*** him anyway. 

Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll was being steamrolled by social status, fashion, coke, greed, money, and vacuous, empty, passionless music and women.  (Gee, sounds like Wrigley Field today, don't it?)  We had been sitting silently, watching the greatest musical idols of our childhood sell out to Studio 57 and the spinny, glittery disco balls and lit dance floors.  Suddenly, you had to look a certain way, adpot a certain specific fake persona, to be accepted and admitted to bars and nightclubs.  Yeah, I was 17 at the time, but we still could go to Wisconsin in that era.

Steve Dahl was the voice of a downtrodden, yet proud generation.  Rock was an endagered species.  Keith Moon had just died.  Our ideals, our souls, our passions were crumbling around us.  I know so many people from that time that said listening to "Quadrophenia" basically saved their lives...

But I digress. 

It simply had to happen.  The day, the time, the era, the anger, the angst, the symbolism of that dumpster full of disco records on that night, the conditions were just too perfect...we were mad as hell and we weren't gonna take it anymore.  The man with the greatest influence in Chicago culture at that time was STANDING UP FOR US!!  He was the voice of our generation and he was followed onto that field. 

It wasn't a riot.  Nobody got hurt.  People made love behind second base.  It was Woodstock without music or mud.  It was a gathering of harmless kids basically having a simultaneous orgasm that someone finally stood up for them, for their passions, for the sound they grew up with, for the lifeblood of their heart and soul, rock and roll.

I didn't go on the field that night...and I don't regret that...but I don't hold one damn bit of hostility for my fellow rockers who did.

I swore I'd never do this...but I'm so moved right now, I'm going to put one of those silly wee moving heads at the end here...LONG LOVE ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!

God bless you and the horse you rode in on. You had to be a teenager at the time to fully grasp these feelings. It was the night Disco died and rock'n roll was born again. :headbang

long live rock and roll indeed, I was rocking when rock and roll was rock and roll, rocking with Howlin Wolf

and I love rap and I love opera and I love rock but I also have to say I love disco - the correlation between guys who hate disco and guys who can't/won't/unable to dance is 98.76%

disco-dancing.jpg