As exciting as Takatsu's entrance is...

quade36

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great that we have a great closer and that there's getting to be a lot of hype around him. I don't think the gong is politcally incorrect. I read an article the other day about how Japanese ballplayers approach the game like they are samurai, so I'm sure Shingo doesn't mind it at all.

It's all in the name of a good show, intimidating the opponents, and I'm sure nobody minds at all.

PS- Foulke blew a game yesterday. Koch probably did, too.

I find it rather sad. The racism handed out to the Asian community on a daily basis is extremely frustrating. Shingo giving it an "O.K." makes it a little more acceptable, but there should be a sign of respect to the Asian community to NOT do that type of thing. After all, just because one African American is fine with the N word, doesn't mean that they all will be, or that it is O.K. to use it. It is respect, and the gong can easily be seen as insensitive and politically incorrect. I really dislike things that are overly "politically correct", but the Asian community really does take a LOT of unfair abuse as far as stereotypes are concerned, and nobody ever seems to see how wrong it is.

I think it's great that we have a great closer and that there's getting to be a lot of hype around him.  I don't think the gong is politcally incorrect.  I read an article the other day about how Japanese ballplayers approach the game like they are samurai, so I'm sure Shingo doesn't mind it at all.

It's all in the name of a good show, intimidating the opponents, and I'm sure nobody minds at all.

PS- Foulke blew a game yesterday.  Koch probably did, too.

The Samurai were great warriors and men of great respect and honor. There is much reason to live your life following them. It isn't really like saying "I play the game as cowboys lived". The Samurai was MUCH more than that. So I really don't see how using a gong is O.K since they approach the game in the same way as a Samurai might approach something. Samurai's would spend much, much, much time preparing for battle. There was much thought, and a spiritual side to it all. I am sure that is what they were speaking of.

I haven't had a chance to get to a game where Shingo is used... What is the full enterance like? Is it just gongs or a specific song?

Atleast they're not playing "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors, I think that would be a little more racist. But when I first heard the gongs on TV it did run through my mind about the PC'ness of that

Hey SoxNBears, are you getting ready for NCAA '05 to be released today?!?!!!??!

I know I can't wait!!!

I find it rather sad. The racism handed out to the Asian community on a daily basis is extremely frustrating. Shingo giving it an "O.K." makes it a little more acceptable, but there should be a sign of respect to the Asian community to NOT do that type of thing. After all, just because one African American is fine with the N word, doesn't mean that they all will be, or that it is O.K. to use it. It is respect, and the gong can easily be seen as insensitive and politically incorrect. I really dislike things that are overly "politically correct", but the Asian community really does take a LOT of unfair abuse as far as stereotypes are concerned, and nobody ever seems to see how wrong it is.

So would it be racist if our closer was named O'Mally and his intro featured a leprachaun and a pot of gold?

Or if we had a Scottsman closer and bagpipes played when he finished the game?

I dunno, sometimes a gong is a gong. If Asians get really offended by it, I'm sure that Mariotti will write an article and we'll all hear about it.

I haven't had a chance to get to a game where Shingo is used... What is the full enterance like?  Is it just gongs or a specific song?

It's pretty sweet, actually. IIRC, it's like this weird techno song...

and it's played to this highlight footage of him. Mr. Zero scrolls down one side of the screen and Mr. Zero in Japanese scrolls up on the right side.

You knew someone was going to throw a hissy fit about all this. It's not a big deal......if shingo Ok'd it, there shouldn't be a problem considering ITS ALL FOR HIM.

If you wanna make an issue out of this, why don't you make an issue on how when black players come to bat, they play rap, latinas they play salsa, and white they play rock??????

The players approve those songs too....

You knew someone was going to throw a hissy fit about all this.  It's not a big deal......if shingo Ok'd it, there shouldn't be a problem considering ITS ALL FOR HIM. 

If you wanna make an issue out of this, why don't you make an issue on how when black players come to bat, they play rap, latinas they play salsa, and white they play rock??????

The players approve those songs too....

Didn’t Rowand’s intro have a white guy rapping? Why not make a thread out of that? :lol:

As I said, it adds a bit of an "O.K." to it with Shingo's approval, but it still is not all that right or correct. You can't even make a comparison about the music really. The player approves a song. If I was going to walk out there, I would O.K. a song I liked, and Shingo did approve of a song that goes before the gong. A gong strike is NOT a song, and it is something that was always used in movies or radio in the past to signify whenever the silly Asian came on screen. Back in the days of the "silly scared black man". The only difference is that we can still be given the gong in this day and age. I just find it wrong. I won't campaign against it, I just think it is wrong and I do find it sad how we in this country can be so damned aware of racism to one race, but ignore it to another one. Racism against the Asians still runs wild, and nobody ever says a dang thing about it.

Do you really think that anybody would pay attention to a guy named O'Malley?

I agree that racism is still visible amongst the Asian community. But I don't think a simple gong has much to do with it. The gong is more of a harmlesss stereotype that any race deals with. I'm a white guy. Supposedly, white guys can't dance. Even if I could (I really can't), I couldn't see why any white person would have a problem with that stereotype.

Now, there are offensive stereotypes, like those of Native Americans in old western movies that portray them as a bunch of yelling savages. And a team like the Cleveland Indians should be ashamed that their logo gives off that same perception. But I fail to see how a gong would cast a negative or silly portrayal of Asians.

It's just a friggin gong people!

hmm...how do I put this politically correct......The political correct crowd can kiss my ass. :booty.

A gong?? A f***in gong?? It is a japanese musical instrument. Shingo is Japanese.

I just think it is wrong and I do find it sad how we in this country can be so damned aware of racism to one race, but ignore it to another one. Racism against the Asians still runs wild, and nobody ever says a dang thing about it.

What you find so sad above is something you are guilty of perpetuating.

You think a gong to a japanese guy is racist, but bagpipes to a scottish guy isn't or Irish music to an O'Malley isn't. If in your mind the one is racist then the others should be too...just because their white shouldn't make a difference. If you think playing the music from one's background is wrong then it should be wrong for people from all backgrounds.

The simple fact is none of it is racist...and when you look at it from an Irish or Scottish perspective you see how ridiculous the accusatoin is in the first place.

hmm...how do I put this politically correct......The political correct crowd can kiss my ass.  :booty

A gong??  A f***in gong?? It is a japanese musical instrument.  Shingo is Japanese.

What you find so sad above is something you are guilty of perpetuating.

You think a gong to a japanese guy is racist, but bagpipes to a scottish guy isn't or Irish music to an O'Malley isn't.  If in your mind the one is racist then the others should be too...just because their white shouldn't make a difference.  If you think playing the music from one's background is wrong then it should be wrong for people from all backgrounds.

The simple fact is none of it is racist...and when you look at it from an Irish or Scottish perspective you see how ridiculous the accusatoin is in the first place.

Don't blow up now. I don't think the gong is racist at all, but showing the godzilla movie on the big screen, well I don't know about that.....