As exciting as Takatsu's entrance is...

quade36

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't blow up now.  I don't think the gong is racist at all, but showing the godzilla movie on the big screen, well I don't know about that.....

why? It's not like their showing clips of japanese people going "GODZILLA, GODZILLA!" in that accent.

Godzilla is not racist. rolleyeyes.gif

I think it's great that we have a great closer and that there's getting to be a lot of hype around him.  I don't think the gong is politcally incorrect.  I read an article the other day about how Japanese ballplayers approach the game like they are samurai, so I'm sure Shingo doesn't mind it at all.

It's all in the name of a good show, intimidating the opponents, and I'm sure nobody minds at all.

PS- Foulke blew a game yesterday.  Koch probably did, too.

Who lets Koch close anymore?

:unsure:

Don't blow up now.  I don't think the gong is racist at all, but showing the godzilla movie on the big screen, well I don't know about that.....

Sorry quade36, wasn't referring to you specifically. I just think the politically incorrect crowd is really starting to go to far.

Even the Godzilla thing you said....It wouldn't be racist at all. Godzilla is a Japanese Movie monster legend....If they wanted to do a thing with shingo and godzilla...how would it be racist? It is a monster created by the Japanese...

The word racist is tossed around too much....

This really reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld when Jerry dates that Cherokee girl. Jerry tries to prevent from saying anything that could be racist. Reservations, Indian giver, etc...

That was a good one; Jerry and the girl are out on the street looking for a place to eat, and Jerry suggests Chinese. He sees a mailman in the mailbox getting mail out, and he asks him if he would know where the nearest Chinese place would be. The mailman takes his head out, and he ends up being a Chinese guy. "Ohhh since I Chinese, you think I would know where all the Chinese restaurants are. How would you like it if I asked you where all the Burger and Hot Dog places are?"

:lolhitting

This really reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld when Jerry dates that Cherokee girl.  Jerry tries to prevent from saying anything that could be racist.  Reservations, Indian giver, etc...

That was a good one; Jerry and the girl are out on the street looking for a place to eat, and Jerry suggests Chinese.  He sees a mailman in the mailbox getting mail out, and he asks him if he would know where the nearest Chinese place would be.  The mailman takes his head out, and he ends up being a Chinese guy.  "Ohhh since I Chinese, you think I would know where all the Chinese restaurants are.  How would you like it if I asked you where all the Burger and Hot Dog places are?"

:lolhitting

:lol:

Crap, wrote a nice reply, and it vanished.

Matsui being called Godzilla is not a racist thing as it started in Japan. He even had a cameo in Godzilla x MechaGodzilla (US title, available almost everywhere is Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla). MechaG (Kiryu) flies over head and he is in the middle of coaching a little league team.

I have yet to see any Irish or Scottish pitchers be given the bagpipe treatment. I guess I will hold out my opinion until somebody of Irish descent gets onto the mound. Maybe someday the Irish and Scottish can break that barrier and join the league. :huh:

I am not a politically correct freak, but I hate a double standard. There is a double standard. The gong as a instrument and such is NOT racist. But in a country where a gong has always been used to introduce and Asian character in movies and radio, and now they are using it to introduce Shingo, it comes across as no different than Long Duck Dongs gong strike in Sixteen Candles. It is something that has always been used, and it was always used in a stereotypical fashion. No, Shingo will not mind it being used, due to his being Japanese and it being an instrument from his country. But by his not speaking the language, I am banking on it he is not overly familiar with American culture and past. Consider the fact that in Japan, their own past is not taught to a strong degree, what makes you think he would understand what the gong has been used for in American culture when showing an audience an Asian? Just because he doesn't mind it, doesn't mean in 5 years after being in the country and seeing a bunch of old movies (or even recent ones), that something won't trigger in his mind and make him realize that the use of his countries instrument just might not be a nice thing.

Heck, why should Native Americans (kind of a PI term, but the author Owl Goingback told me in an interview that he was cool with that term, and so are many others) mind somebody pounding a drum and smoking a piece pipe when introducing them? It's their heritage we are using!

Gleason, I see your point.

I think there is a double standard in that everybody is so sensitive about minorities and that everything that can slightly be tied back to the race of a minority is racist.

First off, let me say that I'm white and male, so that probably colors my opinions a bit.

If anybody calls an Italian a dago or a guinny, no big deal.

If anybody calls a Polish person a pollack, no big deal.

If anybody makes fun of an Irishman or Scottsman for having excessive drinking habits based on nothing more than race, no big deal.

If anybody calls a white person a cracker, no big deal.

If a black person uses the "N-word" on another black person, it's no big deal. If a white person uses it, they're a bigot, racist, etc.

Nobody can use the C-word or G-word to describe anybody Oriental.

All the terms used above were offensive at one point or another, be it now or in the recent past. Which ones are offensive now?

Where does the double standard lie?

And you say that

Matsui being called Godzilla is not a racist thing as it started in Japan.

So how is that different from the gong?

No, Shingo will not mind it being used, due to his being Japanese and it being an instrument from his country. But by his not speaking the language, I am banking on it he is not overly familiar with American culture and past. Consider the fact that in Japan, their own past is not taught to a strong degree, what makes you think he would understand what the gong has been used for in American culture when showing an audience an Asian? Just because he doesn't mind it, doesn't mean in 5 years after being in the country and seeing a bunch of old movies (or even recent ones), that something won't trigger in his mind and make him realize that the use of his countries instrument just might not be a nice thing.

Please.

Shingo is NOT stupid, and his wife lived here for a while before, so she'd CERTAINLY object if she felt it was being done in a demeaning or racist fashion.

Again, if it's OK with Shingo, it's OK with me.

Besides, I saw a pretty large Asian contingent in attendance on I think it was Saturday night, and I'm absolutely certain we'd have heard something by now if THEY felt it was in poor taste.

Sometimes a gong is just a gong.

I like the entrance, I think it sets him apart and gives his entrance a bit more pizzazz.

Well, you’re dirty and sweet, clad in black, don’t look back, and

I love you.

You’re dirty and sweet, oh yeah.

Well, you’re windy and wild you’ve got the teeth of the hydra

upon you.

You’re dirty-sweet and you’re my girl.

Get it on, bang a gong, get it on.

I love you.

upon you.

explain?

I love you.

upon you.

:mellow:

I mean that while Matsui was playing in Japan, the Japanese public called him "Godzilla". Not that Godzilla started in Japan, which he did. But rather, that nickname came from the Japanese public.

This has all gotten much more attention than even I think it is truely worth. If people are cool with it, then obviously the public reaction of what matters. I just think it was and is a risky thing to have in his intro. But hey, if it works for him, then more power to him.

I love you.

upon you.

Don't quite get the reference, but T-Rex has always been a major influence in my music, so I'm fine with the quote! :D

why? It's not like their showing clips of japanese people going "GODZILLA, GODZILLA!" in that accent.

Godzilla is not racist.  rolleyeyes.gif

Hahah...while that may be funny...and a little P.I...it's actually not because of their accent that "Godzilla" sounds funny coming from a Japanese person. In Japan they don't call him Godzilla...it's Gojira...which people just interpret as them saying Godzilla funny.

OK enough rambling out of me today...

Gleason, I see your point.

I think there is a double standard in that everybody is so sensitive about minorities and that everything that can slightly be tied back to the race of a minority is racist.

First off, let me say that I'm white and male, so that probably colors my opinions a bit.

If anybody calls an Italian a dago or a guinny, no big deal.

If anybody calls a Polish person a pollack, no big deal.

If anybody makes fun of an Irishman or Scottsman for having excessive drinking habits based on nothing more than race, no big deal.

If anybody calls a white person a cracker, no big deal.

If a black person uses the "N-word" on another black person, it's no big deal.  If a white person uses it, they're a bigot, racist, etc.

Nobody can use the C-word or G-word to describe anybody Oriental.

All the terms used above were offensive at one point or another, be it now or in the recent past.  Which ones are offensive now?

Where does the double standard lie?

And you say that

So how is that different from the gong?

Yes and the double standard is even in your post...

when referring to Italian's, Polish and white people being called names, you actually use the names, Dago, pollacks, and crackers...

When referring to blacks or asians you say n-word, c-word, g-word. It's like thsoe words can't even be written....even if it isn't in a derogatory way.

I'm not knocking you moreCowbell, that is the way it is. As an Italian, I'm not suppose to be be offended by Dago or Wop. Some ethnicities can pull the race card and some can't.

I'm not knocking you moreCowbell, that is the way it is.  As an Italian, I'm not suppose to be be offended by Dago or Wop.  Some ethnicities can pull the race card and some can't.

The irony of it was partially intended...

Anyways, SS2k4, what's the deal with the song? Is that Shingo's entrance song?

I guess you guys are a little young for some 70's rock lyrics :)   Where is cw when you need him ;)

I guess the word "gong" is the reference???

Too young? I'm 34, but Marc Bolan has influenced much about my music. My band used to do "20th Century Boy" and "Baby Bommerang". "Solid Gold Easy Action" to this day is the most perfectly written Glam tune ever, IMO. And The Slider stands as the second greatest Glam album ever, only beaten out by the perfect Back To Mystery City by the untouchable Hanoi Rocks. :snr

Come join me on my main hang-out:

Glitzine

Too young? I'm 34, but Marc Bolan has influenced much about my music. My band used to do "20th Century Boy" and "Baby Bommerang". "Solid Gold Easy Action" to this day is the most perfectly written Glam tune ever, IMO. And The Slider stands as the second greatest Glam album ever, only beaten out by the perfect Back To Mystery City by the untouchable Hanoi Rocks.  :snr

Glitzine

The title of the song actually is "Bang a Gong"

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/bangagon.htm

I thought it would be a cute add in, instead it bombed. :crying

:P

Too young? I'm 34, but Marc Bolan has influenced much about my music. My band used to do "20th Century Boy" and "Baby Bommerang". "Solid Gold Easy Action" to this day is the most perfectly written Glam tune ever, IMO. And The Slider stands as the second greatest Glam album ever, only beaten out by the perfect Back To Mystery City by the untouchable Hanoi Rocks.  :snr

Glitzine

I have to say that you're the first person I've EVER seen to name Marc Bolan as an influence.

Even back in the 70s T-Rex was sort of in that B-list of rock icons, usually lumped in with bands like Starz and Sweet on that "next level" underneath the giants of the time.

Can't say I was ever that big a fan of his, but I was BIG into The Sweet. My friends gave me a LOT of s*** about that, since my main interest was punk ( Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Dead Boys, Ramones ) and hard rock/metal ( Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, Kiss, etc ). So the Sweet was NOT accepted amongst the punkers or the rockers