Recker seeks NBA career back home with Indiana

Recker seeks NBA career back home with Indiana

By Sekou Smith

July 12, 2004

While the rest of the basketball world is abuzz over news that Shaquille O'Neal will soon be switching coasts, Luke Recker is focused on home.

The Indiana Pacers, to be exact.

All of Recker's energy and attention will be directed toward the floor at Conseco Fieldhouse this week during the Pacers' rookie/free agent minicamp.

And it's not because Recker tends to get nostalgic for his days of rooting for the Pacers while he was growing up in Auburn, Ind. Rather, it's because, at this moment, the Pacers hold the key to the former Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball's future in the NBA.

A good week here this week leads to another chance to impress with the Pacers' summer league team at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City.

From there, who knows what might happen? But Recker, like most other players invited to the minicamp, is willing to take that chance.

"Each year, my agent and I sit down and look at different teams, and we try to go to a place where we think a player like myself might be needed," said Recker, who spent his first two college seasons at Indiana University before finishing at Iowa. "It just so happened that we felt the best fit was with the Pacers.

"So I'm very hopeful that it turns out well. I want to come in there and do my best, because it's exciting to get back to Indiana. And it's exciting to get a chance with the team I grew up watching."

Recker had to watch the Pacers from afar last season. He spent his second pro season in Roseto, Italy, averaging 17.4 points for a team in the top Italian league.

But with Rome more than two hours away and his family and friends -- save for his wife, Megan -- a continent and an ocean away, the Reckers were left to fend for themselves in a foreign land.

"It was a really great experience for my wife and I to experience a different culture," Recker said. "But the rough part is that there was very little English spoken and there just wasn't a whole lot of American influence there. Playing over there was really good for me, though -- good for my career.

"But I don't want to spend my career playing in Europe. I want to play in the NBA."

Recker was considered a longshot before the 2002 NBA draft, mostly because of the tumult that accompanied his college career.

After deciding to transfer from IU to Arizona in 1999, Recker was involved in a serious car accident and never played for the Wildcats. By the time he transferred to Iowa, his star had faded with NBA scouts.

He spent the last two years of his college career playing for IU legend Steve Alford at Iowa, but a fractured kneecap that sidelined him for 15 games during his senior season was another damaging blow.

Recker went undrafted.

He had a stint with the Miami Heat's summer league team, but his first NBA experience was short-lived. The Heat cut him during training camp. Recker spent his pro rookie season with the National Basketball Development League's Asheville (N.C.) Altitude.

"He was really close to making Miami's team, but it just didn't work out," Alford said. "I think he belongs in the league (NBA). I do. Luke's a great kid and he's going to compete like crazy to get there, so I just hope he gets his shot because he deserves it. He's got the skills, he's a guy that can make shots, and he's athletic. He's got what it takes to be there."

After experiencing basketball's minor leagues, both domestic and foreign, Recker admitted that he's hungrier than ever to get to the NBA.

And it really doesn't matter how long it takes.

"I just turned 26, so I'm a bit older than most guys that have been out of college two years, but I plan on playing for a long time," Recker said. "I don't have any plans to hang up the shoes for a long, long time. I really love the game.

"And I know I'm blessed to be at the level I'm at. To be able to make a living as a professional basketball player is something that not a lot of guys get a chance to do, so I'm not taking any of this for granted."

I don't understand why there aren't more guys like him in the NBA.

Fred Hoiberg is an NBA player.

Steve Kerr was an NBA player.

Shooting percentages were terrible this season. If you've got a guy who can shoot and extend defenses, why not have him on the team.

The only team in the NBA who actively looks for white players is Utah... Every other team assumes if they're white, they can't play.