Chris Young Question

DBAHO

From ESPN,

Frank P. from Springfield, Illinois, asks: I noticed that Chris Young, a White Sox outfield prospect, has hit 14 homers with 20 steals at Class A Kannapolis. What kind of prospect is he? Is he a Five-Tool player?

Young is hitting .270 in 76 games in the Sally League, but with a .375 OBP, a .526 SLG, 21 doubles, 14 homers, 20 steals, and 38 walks in 270 at-bats. The big negative here is his strikeout rate: he's fanned 81 times already, more than once per game, and a dangerously high ratio.

The White Sox drafted Young in the 16th round in 2001, out of high school in Houston. He was very raw when drafted, and hit just .217 in rookie ball in '02. But he improved in '03, hitting .290 in 64 games for Bristol in the Appy League, and he's adjusted well to full-season ball this year.

Young is very athletic, a classic tools guy. His speed is excellent, and he's already developed into an effective defensive outfielder, with plus range and an accurate, though mediocre, arm. Scouts knew he could steal bases, but his power development has been unexpected. His walk rate has been creeping upward, a good sign. But the strikeouts are worrisome.

Young still needs to work on his swing, which can be awkward at times. His approach on breaking balls needs help, and that will be a problem at higher levels if it is not corrected. The good news is that he's just 20 years old, and has already made a lot of progress.

Does that answer your question.. :bang

Kinda. I guess the guy rounded up. Young has played 84 games so I checked his batting average from 8-10 games ago. His highest was .267 with a 4-4 day on July 5th. He's 3 for 24 since to get his average back down to .255. :bang That would explain why I barely noticed his average being in the high .260s, it didn't last long. :lol:

Kinda. I guess the guy rounded up. Young has played 84 games so I checked his batting average from 8-10 games ago. His highest was .267 with a 4-4 day on July 5th. He's 3 for 24 since to get his average back down to .255. :bang That would explain why I barely noticed his average being in the high .260s, it didn't last long. :lol:

yeah, i thought that that sounded a little high considering how he's been doing lately.

Young has been in a big time slump, although he had a hit today and stole two bases in the other game I saw him play.

Really showed off his speed and Sickels is being nice when he says average arm strength, its Johnny Damon like in center (not very good, although accurate).

I don't think their is a chance in hell that the Sox would let him walk. This guy has some serious value. While he's still raw, he is incredibly fast, hits for power, draws walks, and plays great centerfield. Had 50 straight without an error last year if I recall.

He seems to be doing a solid job laying off the curves right now, the only problem is, when he swings at him, he's having a little bit of trouble on them. He did finally rip one opposite field at one of the games i was at which was nice.