Tribune article

sox-r-us

Ok, its my understanding that now that RJ has said he will waive his no trade clause, its not up to him anymore where he gets traded, correct????

Incorrect. The trade has to be proposed to him and if he approves, he waives the clause but if he does not like the trade, he can still say no. Just saying he will doesnt mean he now has no choice.

Ok, its my understanding that now that RJ has said he will waive his no trade clause, its not up to him anymore where he gets traded, correct????

He just said he'd waive it for a contender.

As I understand the process, there's probably a waiver form that the player has to sign that gets submitted with the trade paper-work to the league office. I'm sure he didn't just sign a blank one so that Arizona can trade him wherever.

Greetings from Houston.

Down here to attend the All-Star Festivities, and I feel I can share a few interesting things on this discussion. In an interview with reporters on the field yesterday during the workout day, Randy Johnson said he would waive his no-trade clause if it were the right situation. The three teams mentioned at the top of his list were Anaheim, New York (A), and Boston. The buzz around the All-Star game is that RJ will be an Angel by Sunday. Rumored to go to Arizona in return are Mathis (or McPherson), Scott Shields, and minor league arm.

Concerning Beltran, it really seems like the Astros fans want him traded. I know how crazy that sounds, but the Astros are getting blown up after this year. The fans #1 interest in re-signing hometown hero Lance Berkman who is also a free agent at the end of this year. Houston does need money, but if Beltran is to go... they need pieces for their future. The teams rumored to land Beltran down here are the Dodgers and Padres.

Well that is about it for now.

Take care.

And just my 2 cents... I would love to have Beltran on the Sox, and I would pay him whatever he wanted.

Randy Johnson to the Angels.

Carlos Beltran to the Dodgers

What happens with the no trade clause is that when a potential trade comes through, the player gets the last say on the deal. For instance, Cincinnati had a deal in which they would trade Griffey for Nevin, but Nevin nixed it. The player still has the call, the team can't just trade him anywhere because he says he wants to waive it.

Also, forget about Beltran. Houston has already said Beltran and Clemens will not be traded unless they have absolutely no chance at making the playoffs, and as far out as they are in the division, they are somewhat close to the wildcard. They wouldn't save a whole lot of money either. His salary for the ENTIRE season is $9mil, if they traded him right now, they would save about half that, less as we get closer to the deadline. That's barely enough to sign a utility infielder these days. Unless they get some good prospects in return, it's not happening. By the way, whoever said the Astros should "throw in" Lidge needs to put down the crackpipe. I hope to God that was sarcasm. :bang

I remember when Big Mac was traded from Oakland to St Louis. No one thought that he would want to go to St. Louis because he wanted to remain on the west coast near his child. Not only did he go to St. Louis, but he signed to stay there.

Just saying people can change their minds. I heard Randy Johnson say he would waive his no trade clause to go to a contender if it will help the Arizona Diamondbacks. At no time did he ever say he needed to be near his family and stay on the west coast. Speculation on everyone else's part makes it seem as though he wants to stay on the west coast. However, if the Sox made a better deal to Arizona and our deal made more sense then I believe he would be coming here.

I know the money is on RJ to Anaheim. I would put my money on that as well. However it is not beyond the Sox and KW to give up what needs to be given up for RJ.

I know the money is on RJ to Anaheim. I would put my money on that as well. However it is not beyond the Sox and KW to give up what needs to be given up for RJ.

Kind of funny you say this. Almost everyone thought the Yankees or Dodgers all but had Freddy Garcia...it was just a matter who who was going to actually get him.

Then of course the White Sox upped their offer, and the next thing you know, Freddy Garcia is a member of the White Sox.

KW is not afraid of paying high prices. He gave up 2 studs and another with a ton of potential for a guy he didn't even know he would have next year(and of course, we have since resigned him). I wouldn't say that KW can't get RJ. No way in hell.

I'm going to be at the Sox-Rangers game in Arlington Monday and I fully expect, no I demand, that Randy Johnson make his White Sox debut in that game!

Otherwise it's Scott Schonewies. :headshake

At least they're both lefties. :lol:

I think Beltran will go to the Dodgers, Giants or the Padres, they both could use an outfielder like him.