Nelson's Road to the IL All Star Game

Chisoxfn

By Jason Gage

July 13, 2004

FutureSox.com

Bryant Nelson has come along way in only a year. Last season he was playing for Daiei of the Japanese league. Prior to that Nelson was a member of the Boston Red Sox organization, where he had a short cup of coffee at the big league level.

Until this year Nelson wasn’t known as an offensive player. That’s all changed thanks in large part to his experience over in Japan.....More

Nice article there Jason, Nelson's really had a good year down at Charlotte, it'll be interesting to see what happens with him at RF now and in the future. If Borch struggles, Nelson would probably be the next person up to replace him, if Frank's still on the DL.

From what I understand Nelson will be in RF until the Sox have someone else called up or signed. Its a short term solution. The Knights are also banged up and the All Star break couldn't come at a better time.

In the doubleheader they had no one available to come off the bench.

By Jason Gage

July 13, 2004

FutureSox.com

Bryant Nelson has come along way in only a year. Last season he was playing for Daiei of the Japanese league. Prior to that Nelson was a member of the Boston Red Sox organization, where he had a short cup of coffee at the big league level.

Until this year Nelson wasn’t known as an offensive player. That’s all changed thanks in large part to his experience over in Japan.....More

great article :cheers :cheers :cheers

this is the stuff that really makes soxtalk the place to be, the insights you don't get elsewhere :headbang :headbang

thanks Jas! :usa

From what I understand Nelson will be in RF until the Sox have someone else called up or signed.  Its a short term solution.  The Knights are also banged up and the All Star break couldn't come at a better time. 

In the doubleheader they had no one available to come off the bench.

Spidale's probably the solution for a call up from Birmingham if they need another outfielder, of course Charlotte's infield depth is pretty good now with Valdez, Bell, Smith, Hankins, Dransfeldt and Nelson all being able to play in there.

Once they get Andres Torres back, that should at least help solidify the Knights outfield. But a few weeks ago they had Torres, Reed, and Borchard out there.

Now its Valenzuela, Taylor, and Nelson. No knock on Nelson, but he's a 2nd baseman. He hasn't played RF in 5 years.

Mario hit an absolute shot in the game we saw though. He's definately got some pop. I just hope he can stay healthy and see his average climb.

Next feature piece I plan on doing will be on Josh Fields (the one for the Barons). I know some people have asked about him at time to time.

Thanks for the kind words on the piece guys, it was fun writing. Nelson was a really good guy and he is really raking the ball. I have to root for him to make it back to the majors. The guy has worked his tail off and has put up numbers to warrant it, morse so then Dransfeldt, imo.

Here is a good piece I just found on Bryant Nelson from a few years ago, so people can get even more of an idea on who he is. This guy has basically raked in the minors. He was a 44th round pick who eventually earned top prospect status in the Astros organization but had some trouble finding dedication. He was telling me in the interview that this season has been the most dedicated one ever...and by dedicated I mean focused in a sense. He's in there to show his son what he can do and is going to do whatever he can to get up to the majors.

http://www.topprospectalert.com/AZFall/011223bn.html

Jason, how did Hankins look defensively??

I think the only thing Hankins really needs to work on is blocking balls in the dirt, which he admitted in my interview with him. He has thrown out 35% of the runners who stole against him because of his quick release. Go figure no one ran on him in the 2nd game when he caught.

Attention Sox front office and scouting department:

Daisuke Matsuzaka of the Seibu Tigers was the toughest pitcher Nelson ever faced and he feels he could be a very good major league player. Matsuzaka struck out Nelson six times in eight at bats, which is a rare feet coming against a player that doesn’t strike out much.

Attention Sox front office and scouting department:

With the success of Shingo and Antoni Otsuka of the Padres, he's definitely worth a look, but the main thing with Japanese players is whether or not they want to come over here and play.

Jason, how did Hankins look defensively??

Rex, only saw Hankins play behind the plate one game. Aceves caught the other. He looked fine behind the plate in the game we saw.

Basically Cerb sums it up best. He's throwing out guys and says he has a good quick release, but is just coming along in the blocking balls department. He looked good at the plate. He's been crushing the ball since entering the starting lineup.