In the booth...

SAVVY18

The broadcast booth at U.S. Cellular Field is just like the surrounding ballpark: modern and functional and, at first glance, lacking a little character.

But look closely and you'll see a grainy bump on one wall, a patch-job to repair a hole from a Magglio Ordonez foul ball that once screamed through the open-air broadcast booth where veteran announcers Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and Darrin "D.J." Jackson bring Sox games alive for fans. 

"Fans are more knowledgeable today," said Harrelson, who began announcing for the Red Sox in 1975. "You used to have to teach Baseball 101. Today it's like talking to teammates."

"Fans want us to be more critical--some feel that we're making excuses for the players," said Jackson. "But I've been out there. I know the ball can get lost in the lights."

RedEye asked to spend a night in the booth with them. Here's what we saw.

Pregame

Both arrive a few hours before the first pitch. Harrelson watches batting practice and studies swings, just as he's done since his playing days. He's seen everything from Mickey Mantle to Frank Thomas. "Body language is beautiful. It has its own vernacular," he says.

Unlike his older partner, Jackson surfs the Internet. "Grandpa doesn't want nothing to do with that futuristic crap," Jackson said with a chuckle. Both scour local and national newspapers and chat with other announcers and scouts.

First inning

What does a Sox announcer do during a rain delay? Watch the Cubs. Next to a flatscreen monitor, a battered television airs a blurry version of the North Siders playing the Brewers. After a two-hour delay, the White Sox game starts, and the broadcasters are peppy.

Second inning

"No first-pitch fastball," said Jackson off the air before Angels slugger Vladimir Guerrero steps in against Freddy Garcia. Garcia throws a first-pitch fastball and Guerrero rips it just foul of the left-field pole. Jackson shakes his head and Harrelson chuckles.

Third inning

As the White Sox bat, Jackson interviews a spokesman from McDonald's while Harrelson greets visitors to the booth.

Fourth inning

The pair is always talking to producer Jon Walgren, who runs things from the production truck. When the Angels' Jeff DeVanon homers, Walgren chirps, "Replay" through the earpieces, and the replay airs on the screen. Then he says, "Freddy mad" as a close-up of a furious Garcia plays on the screen.

It's not all work. The production crew cracks off-air jokes through the broadcasters' earpieces. When Harrelson reminisces about various stadiums, Walgren makes fun of Cleveland into the earpieces, and both broadcasters smile.

Fifth inning

With the Cubs game done, "World Series of Poker" is on the old television, and it draws Harrelson's attention during a few lulls. The game comes alive when Paul Konerko blasts a homer to left, and Harrelson screams, "Put it on the boooaaard!" After that call, the pair stays silent for about 10 seconds to let the crowd's excitement play to the viewers at home.

Sixth inning

Harrelson is collected in the booth, all steady voice and crossed legs. Jackson gets pumped, and between innings he stands, claps and gives personal pep talks. "It's rally time!" he shouts to no one in particular.

Seventh inning

Unlike Wrigley Field's celebrity renditions, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" on the South Side is subdued. Harrelson quietly sings along, and Jackson stays quiet as both wave to singing fans.

Eighth inning

Angels relief pitcher Francisco Rodriguez enters the game, prompting Jackson to curse, "Game over!" off air. The two praise this young fire baller in warmups, but the White Sox load the bases on him before Carlos Lee flies out to end the inning. "Damn it!" Hawk shouts off the air.

Ninth inning

With the home team trailing by four runs--and midnight approaching--the conversation strays. Jackson rides his partner about using corked bats. Just after the final out, Harrelson turns away from his microphone and sneezes as if years of broadcasting conditioned his body to know not to interrupt the broadcast.

Which Sox player could become a broadcaster?

"Jose Valentin likes to talk, and that helps," Jackson says. "He knows the game, and he's a good communicator. Plus he's pretty blunt--very forthright."

Coming Thursday: In the booth with Chip Caray and Steve Stone.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

Which Sox player could become a broadcaster?

"Jose Valentin likes to talk, and that helps," Jackson says. "He knows the game, and he's a good communicator. Plus he's pretty blunt--very forthright."

Wouldn't that be something if Jose became a Sox announcer someday?

"No first-pitch fastball," said Jackson off the air before Angels slugger Vladimir Guerrero steps in against Freddy Garcia. Garcia throws a first-pitch fastball and Guerrero rips it just foul of the left-field pole. Jackson shakes his head and Harrelson chuckles.

:lol: :headbang

I see Jose more as a coach.

Kinda like some old 13 shortstop we had way back when.......

That's how I see him more or less too.

With the way he can lead, and his charisma and energy, I imagine he'd be a hell of a coach. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he took the route Ozzie did...get various coaching jobs around the league(mainly 3B coach), and just get a job from there.

If Ozzie ever bails on us or we ever fire him(say 5-10 years down the road) I would not mind seeing Jose come in here as a coach at all.