Randy Johnson

southsideirish

This would be the perfect time to outbid teams for this kind of player. Not only is he great and we would have a great chance of winning the series with a pitching staff that includes Randy Johnson, but we would also stop the Scrubbies from getting Nomar. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Increase our chances and dull their chances. I WOULD LOVE IT!!!!

DO IT KENNY! DO IT!

Oh and if Brian Schneider is available then please get him as well. I don't care about CF I think Rowand is doing an excellent job there. Thank you Kenny!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be the perfect time to outbid teams for this kind of player. Not only is he great and we would have a great chance of winning the series with a pitching staff that includes Randy Johnson, but we would also stop the Scrubbies from getting Nomar. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Increase our chances and dull their chances. I WOULD LOVE IT!!!!

DO IT KENNY! DO IT!

Oh and if Brian Schneider is available then please get him as well. I don't care about CF I think Rowand is doing an excellent job there. Thank you Kenny!

i 100% agree with you.

all this deal is going to cost money and prospects. the prospects may be steep and i have to think about that part of the deal however if getting johnson would help us not only going to the world series would be a nice price to pay and look at what that will do to the future of the sox.

money, well this goes to jerry r. the owner of the sox. well jr, you mention that you always had reservations about going after someone b/c the attn isn't there to support the team. well that excuse doesn't hold water anymore.

we have the BEST attn record since 94(the strike yr, wasn't this the yr that was suppose to be our yr) you add a rj to the team, the starting 5 is deadly, and look out.

the attn will not only get better, but i can almost say you will have fans being turn away trying to buy tickets to attend the game. the season ticket holder base will get bigger for next yr and the revenue generated from this addition will be stagger. so what is the bottom line, you add rj and his salary, the amount of fans which is now attending will only get larger.

add signing maggs, which is only money will show your committment to win.

this team is in position to add certian pieces every once in a while to continue a strong winning yr, and this can be added in the offseason with signing a fa. again money, that can be money well spent and you will get back.

Just be prepared that if the Sox make any kind of blockbuster deal and add payroll to win it all there will be a fire sale this offseason ala Florida circa 1997 if they don't make it.

I'm pretty sure just about all of us are willing to take a chance like that. Yes, all these moves are going to put a dent in the future, but we HAVE to play for now...we have such a good shot at it this year, there's no excuse not to go "all in" this year.

Just be prepared that if the Sox make any kind of blockbuster deal and add payroll to win it all there will be a fire sale this offseason ala Florida circa 1997 if they don't make it.

I don't see a fire sale at all, we'll just let our FA's walk. That happened last yr did it not? And it could happen this yr too whether we add anyone else or not.

I'm pretty sure just about all of us are willing to take a chance like that.  Yes, all these moves are going to put a dent in the future, but we HAVE to play for now...we have such a good shot at it this year, there's no excuse not to go "all in" this year.

Exactly. I am sick of worrying about the "prospects" They all suck until proven otherwise. Trade them all and win the damn World Series.

Just got this from Rotoworld.

It appears that Randy Johnson wouldn't mind pitching for the Yankees, but he doubts New York has the prospects to satisfy Arizona in a trade.

Of course, the Bronx Bombers could trade Jon Lieber for another team's prospects, and then flip them to the Diamondbacks in order to secure the 40-year-old star. As for other possible destinations for Johnson; the tall left-hander did not seem all that keen about joining the Red Sox. He still has a rocky relationship with former teammate and current Boston pitcher Curt Schilling. The Angels and Dodgers have not been aggressive in their pursuit of the five-time Cy Young award winner, and the Mets although anxious to acquire Johnson, may not be a strong enough World Series contender to do so. Stay tuned

huh, seems like we're the only ones that think we have a shot.

Exactly.  I am sick of worrying about the "prospects"  They all suck until proven otherwise.  Trade them all and win the damn World Series.

I have no problem going for it this year if they can make the right moves for the right players. None of the prospects we have traded in the past two years have amounted to anything yet. I just know there are some people on here who care more about the Sox future and if they give up too much.

As Witesoxfan mentioned earlier in another thread, how many insiders knew about us getting Garcia before hand? 

I can't remember one.  Let's see what happens.

that's true and KW seems to always come out of left field with his moves, usually w/o any hype at all.

Did any of us see the alomar/everett trades coming last year? Nope

that's true and KW seems to always come out of left field with his moves, usually w/o any hype at all.

Did any of us see the alomar/everett trades coming last year? Nope

No one knew about Robbie but just about everyone knew about Everett. All anyone was saying was "Kenny isn't done, another trade is almost done. 2 in the same day. Everett to the Sox." So on and so forth.

i don't think the sox will have a fire sale for salary purpose.

jr didn't do that with the bulls and he wants to build something that will last, something like the old brookln dodgers that he is always mentioning when he grew up.

jr will pony up with the money for to keep this going.

No one knew about Robbie but just about everyone knew about Everett. All anyone was saying was "Kenny isn't done, another trade is almost done. 2 in the same day. Everett to the Sox." So on and so forth.

I think it's the other way around. There were a lot of rumors about robbie coming here but I didn't here one about carl. I was at the game that night when we traded for carl so maybe that's why I didn't here about it.

Here's a Newsday report:

HOUSTON -- Randy Johnson wants to pitch for the Yankees, but he is discouraged about the possibility of a trade to the defending American League champions because he has heard the Yankees likely don't have the young talent to get him in a trade, according to a person familiar with the lefthander's thinking.

Yet George Steinbrenner probably doesn't have to worry about losing Johnson to the Red Sox. Johnson made clear yesterday that reports of his distaste for Boston's Curt Schilling are accurate, a bad sign for the Red Sox. When a reporter mentioned that Schilling claimed to put in 20 phone calls to Johnson, in an effort to convince him to waive his no-trade clause to pitch for the Red Sox, Johnson said, "There's a reason I have changed my number."

With the Yankees and Red Sox seeming to lose momentum in their pursuits of the five-time Cy Young Award winner, and the Angels appearing unwilling to give up the prospects and money for him, the Mets' Mike Piazza and Tom Glavine put a hard sell on Johnson. The Mets remain a long shot to acquire Johnson, but they appear to have the prospects, a list starting with third baseman David Wright.

Johnson, who has stated his unhappiness with the last-place Diamondbacks, kept himself quite busy yesterday, even before pitching a scoreless inning in the 75th All-Star Game at Minute Maid Park. He also spoke with the Yankees' Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez about the merits of joining their team, and he engaged in a heated discussion with a New York area reporter.

In a Monday news conference, Johnson spoke of wanting to pitch for a team that had more than a "theoretical chance" of making the World Series. That appeared to be a shout-out to the Yankees. A friend of Johnson's confirmed that desire yesterday.

Yet the Yankees' group of prospects, regarded throughout baseball as substandard, prevented them from getting Carlos Beltran and Freddy Garcia. "We have players who are assets to us and to other organizations," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman contended.

Johnson apparently has heard otherwise. It would be normal for his agents, Alan Nero and Barry Meister, to check in with Diamondbacks management about Johnson's possible destination, since the Big Unit has to approve of any trade. The D-Backs have been extensively scouting the Yankees' minor-league affiliates in the past two weeks.

At Monday night's Home Run Derby here, Johnson's wife, Lisa, sat next to Schilling's wife, Shonda. That doesn't seem to have relaxed any tension between the two husbands, former teammates in Arizona, and Johnson appears extremely unlikely to green-light a deal to the Red Sox.

The same could go for the Mets, given Johnson's antipathy toward "theoretical" contenders. But that didn't stop Piazza and Glavine from trying.

"I told him I knew a lot of great restaurants in the city," Piazza said. "His wife would love the shopping. His kids would love the parks, the museums and the dinosaurs."

Such a proposal could convince Johnson to come to New York but pitch for the Yankees, it was pointed out to Piazza. The catcher shrugged, saying, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

The Mets consider Wright untouchable, and historically, they have not wanted to take on such large salaries; Johnson is due about $24 million through next year.

Johnson's mood turned suddenly yesterday during a conversation with a few reporters. When one New York reporter joked that he could help Johnson find a place to live in the tri-state area, Johnson said, "Now I'm not going to go there just because you guys are making a mockery of it. It's my livelihood." The discussion grew more heated until Johnson turned away.

Make the F'n deal KW, it's there for the taking.

This thread is just silly.

Why don't we go out and get Prior, Mulder, Pedro, Gagne and Clemens.  Oh yeah, lets get Beltran and Barry Bonds, too.

The fact that their teams have said they're not available shouldnt stop us.

Did I miss something? I thought RJ said he would waive his no trade clause and AZ wanted to drop his salary?

I thought that if Houston is out of it by the deadline they will trade Beltran.

Am I wrong?

The White Soxs aren't even mentioned in that last article.  I wonder if that is good or bad?

Probably good. Kenny is one of the best at keeping things quiet. If the angels aren't willing to deal their prospects then it looks like the white sox might have the best shot at getting him, still probably to good to be true but it looks like he's right their for kenny to go get.

This thread is just silly.

Why don't we go out and get Prior, Mulder, Pedro, Gagne and Clemens.  Oh yeah, lets get Beltran and Barry Bonds, too.

The fact that their teams have said they're not available shouldnt stop us.

Really? Please explain why the players mentioned in this thread are being compared to Prior, Mulder, Pedro, Gagne, Clemens, and Bonds.

All the players mentioned in this thread have been said to be available. I have not heard the same about Prior, Mulder, Pedro, Gagne, Clemens, and Bonds. Are you ok?

I think by rule, the Yankees have to be rumored to be in the hunt for the top 10 players available at any given time.

Regardless, though, him to the Yankees makes sense if somehow they have the prospects, which i hear they don't.

The more interesting rumor is the Garciparra to Cubs for prospects...then use those prospects/other players to get RJ.

I don't know though. Just because Randy said he'd waive a no trade clause doesn't mean he's getting traded for certain. I don't believe he demanded a trade, did he? Even if he did, still doesn't do a ton. This is all in Arizona's front office, something no one is talking about really. I don't see why the media is just talking about what "rj wants" or "where rj would want to go"

Does it make sense for them to move RJ? I don't really know if it does. I'd fleece someone in a trade if i gave up RJ, or i'd keep him