FSN lands new voice

FSN lands new voice

By Chris Malcolm

Add Nick Murawski to the roster of voices for the Chicago White Sox.

Who is Nick Murawski?

He's been picked from among 400 applicants to be on the Sox new Sox Audio Plus. The feature is available for the next 10 White Sox games on Fox Sports Net. Just hit the SAP button on your remote to hear Murawski and Fox Sports Net's Eric Collins and Pat Reidy bringing you alternate commentary with a humorous bent.

A 23-year old graduate of St. Francis University, Murawksi now works two part-time jobs at a warehouse and a fitness center. He once worked for a month as a mall Santa Claus, but the broadcast major would love to get into TV and radio full time.

RedEye asked him about his plans.

It's early but do you have a signature catch phrase yet?

I've been tooling around with a couple home run calls. I really haven't released them yet, but I have a few.

Can we have a taste?

Here's one: "That ball is spanked. Costa Rica, get back to work because we need another baseball."

That's not bad. You've done this before?

I was a color commentator for college baseball games at the University of St. Francis but I never got to do the play-by-play.

How do you watch a game at home?

I like to be by myself just because it gets intense. The Sox this year, they're the comeback kids. And I'm a screamer. I'll scream at the TV. I'm going to have the passion of the fan. I'm going to live and die with each play.

Does that ever help? Screaming at the TV?

You know what? You're not thinking about that during the scream. In hindsight, it probably doesn't, but it's more for my relief.

As a passionate fan, how will you not cuss on the air?

There's George Carlin's seven words you can't say on the air, of course. I'll have to review those. I'll definitely have to check myself. At home I can get vulgar at times. I'm going to check myself. If there's a bad play, you might hear just a lot of sounds.

What are your friends saying?

They've been really supportive, and they've been busting my chops a bit with "Oh, here comes the celebrity." But they've been great. For those 10 game days I'm going to cloud 12, if that's possible.

So you'd like to see this turn into a full-time gig in radio or TV?

Yeah, I'd like to do that. I figured this would be a good shot, since nothing else was working. You got to take a shot to make a shot, right? As Bob Uecker says, "If you want to hit a dinger, you got to be swinger."

Sounds familiar...

How do you watch a game at home?

I like to be by myself just because it gets intense. The Sox this year, they're the comeback kids. And I'm a screamer. I'll scream at the TV. I'm going to have the passion of the fan. I'm going to live and die with each play.

Does that ever help? Screaming at the TV?

You know what? You're not thinking about that during the scream. In hindsight, it probably doesn't, but it's more for my relief.

I went to these open auditions and it was a joke. They weren't looking for anyone who seemed to like baseball or know anything about it. They just wanted some goof ball.

When you went in for your highlight call, they said you could sing, dance, recite poetry, anything. And you only got to call 3 pitches of a game. Not much you can tell.