Randy Johnson narrows it to 5 teams

SoxFan562004

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if prospects are what will make this deal happen, the Angels and Cubs are the teams to worry about. They've got the best players closest to being ready for the big leagues.

we'd be third pick -- but I'm sure we'd be giving up Brian Anderson (to replace Finley), a pitcher and one other solid player. Randy cost the Astros Garcia, Guillen and another guy a few years ago.

Boston and the Yankees have little chance without making it a three-way trade because their farm systems are second rate.

Consider him ours if Kenny really wants him...

1. The Yankees don't have a minor league system anymore

2. Why would he go to Boston if they're already 7 games out of the East and have Oakland and Texas to deal with, maybe Anaheim.

3. Anaheim has expressed lesser interest in Johnson than KW, Cashman, Epstein.

4. The Cubs are never going to pass up the Cardinals, and there's no guarantee on the wild card.

Who does that leave you with. A team already in first place with a decent farm system and little competition for the central title. If Randy comes here the Sox are for sure going to go to the playoffs and with the best hitting in the majors they'll go to the World Series.

The Red Sox might be out of it too.

The proposed deal that would have sent Nomar to Cubs is off.

The Red Sox would have received prospects in return then shipped them off to Arizona for the Unit.

The Cubs weren't willing to pick up Nomar salary so Boston could afford RJ, so the deal went south and the Cub are looking at Montreal now for Cabrerra.

The Cubs need offense and bullpen help before pitching.

I think it's between us and the Angels. The Angels may be a bit skittish because of the hefty contracts they gave to Bartolo and Kelvim. But I wouldn't count them out.

ESPN.com said Arizona has contacted these teams about trading for Randy. Randy has already approved the trades to the above teams ONLY.

We might have to give up a lot kids...Hold your breath. This is going to get good.

Kenny is going to show MLB he has the biggest balls in town!

And Artie Moreno said that the Angels weren't willing to trade that much minor league talent, needed to get the Unit.

I read an article that said that was a bluff.

However, if it is true, then it is essentially a three team race: White Sox, Red Sox, and Yankees.

I figure Anderson HAS to be in the deal.

Finley is ancient. Arizona needs a center fielder. Anderson is from Tucson. He's progressed well in our system.

Hate to give up Reed and Anderson, both of our top CF prospects, in the same season, but 1917 was a long freakin' time ago.

1 -- Big Unit

2 -- Freddy

3 -- Buehrle

4 -- Esty

5 -- Garland

BP -- Schoenweis

Cotts

Adkins

Politte

Marte

Shingo

Let's go for it.

What, no Kansas City?

:lol:

The one thing the Yankees do have is a stud catching prospect, and that's something Arizona really wants. My dad just called, he lives in suburban Phoenix and he said the same thing ... the radio reports say this is all in the talking stage and it could heat up fast, drag out until 7/31, or just fizzle out. One radio guy, per my dad, said Reinsdorf and Colangelo are very close, and they likely met when JR was out in LA with Paxson late last week to talk about Kobe Bryant. Don't know if that is true or not, just something my dad heard.

Arizona definitely wants catching and pitching. I don't know how that matches up in terms of the White Sox.

He also heard the same teams are possibilities, and the fact Moreno came out and basically said to count the Angels out. Yankees appear to be pushing really hard on this.

FYI.

A. Can't believe the D'backs would take Sheffy unless the Yankees continue to pay his salary.

B. Sheffy wouldn't go. He wants to play with a winner.

The Yankees could always dump Lofton on them, but he's meaningless. They don't have any young players worth coveting. Soriano and Nick Johnson were the last guys to leave town.

If the Yankees want him, their dearth of minor league talent dictates that they're going to have to give up a real major league player... not Jon Lieber.  An All-Star, I would think.  Maybe Sheffield?

Arizona is thinking cheap, they want financial relief. Sheffield is really expensive, and older.

Yankees don't have a whole lot that's young and cheap.

The only way to get RJ is probably give up Anderson, a pitcher hopefully Rauch, and a Major Leaguer to contend with other teams that have been mentioned. GO GET HIM, KW!!!

I'm thinking the D-Backs may want Rowand in this package as well. I still like the idea of Finley being included in this deal if Arizona picks up some if not most of his remaining 6.75 million this season. Something like this:

Sox get:

Randy Johnson (signed thru 2005)

Steve Finley (FA afer this season, left handed bat)

D-Backs get:

Aaron Rowand

Jon Rauch

Felix Diaz

Mario Valenzuela