Randy Johnson narrows it to 5 teams

SoxFan562004

I hadn't seen that.  Got a link?

Sure do!

From ESPN

And while the Angels insist they're not interested in paying Johnson $22 million through 2005 -- having been thus far burned on the $51 million committed to Bartolo Colon -- no one really believes that, either.

"[The Angels] are in right in the middle of it," said a rival general manager. "It's a total bluff, and I still like their chances better than anyone else's."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario Valenzuela is basically a AAA roster fill, not worth anything to another team.

Think Rauch, another young pitching prospect we don't want to give up, and a stud position player prospect we don't want to give up. Plus very likely a young guy off the current roster.

RJ himself has said they only way he'd consider this is if the Diamondbacks improve themselves for the future, he has a strong feeling for the organization.

The Diamondbacks will not let him go cheaply.

1 -- Big Unit

2 -- Freddy

3 -- Buehrle

4 -- Esty

5 -- Garland

BP -- Schoenweis

Cotts

Adkins

Politte

Marte

Shingo

Let's go for it.

*Drools all over the place*

The one thing I really like about this story (if it's true) is that the White Sox are getting respect from other teams and players. I think it says a lot that the hottest name in trade talks is willing to waive his no-trade clause to come to the Sox.

It also tells me that even though people say how the Sox have traded away all their minor league system, teams are still willing to talk to them about prospects!!! That just shows that the Sox scouts are doing a great job!!!

Boston and the yanks won't get him. The flubs won't make a push for him. That leaves the white sox and the angels. If moreno is serious that leaves the white sox and nobody else but if it is a bluff then the angels have the best chance.

maybe Ruddy Yan would interest them.

Or Andy Gonzalez.

We don't have a catcher in the entire system, unless the kid they drafted out of Stanford last month comes through, or Carlos Lee's brother develops.

You're right about the catching situation and they couldn't trade Lucy anyway.

Yan is having a very down year and Gonzalez has been very slow to develop.

I would love it if these teams would take our fringe prospects, maybe a Montreal for example would do that for Everett. But for Johnson ... think top level prospects, guys we don't want to lose ... Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, Munoz, Cotts, Valido, Rafael Flores, Haigwood, Thomas Brice, Bajenaru, McCarthy, Brian Miller, Honel ... guys that have real value.

Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, Munoz, Cotts, Valido, Rafael Flores, Haigwood, Thomas Brice, Bajenaru, McCarthy, Brian Miller, Honel ... guys that have real value.

Of that list, I'd happily send Borchard, Munoz, Honel...

the only guys I'd really mind losing are Sweeney, Anderson, and Bajenaru.

Arizona is NOT interested in prospects that are 2 or 3 years away. They want guys who will help them win next season. That's the main reason the Boston/Arizona/Cubs 3 way trade fell through. The Cubs best prospects are a 2-3 years away from contributing on the major league level.

Arizona is NOT interested in prospects that are 2 or 3 years away. They want guys who will help them win next season. That's the main reason the Boston/Arizona/Cubs 3 way trade fell through. The Cubs best prospects are a 2-3 years away from contributing on the major league level.

Also because the Cubs wouldn't pick up ALL of Nomar's salary

This is a very good point. They want guys that are close to contributing, if possible.

Rauch, Bajenaru, Diaz, Munoz, Anderson, Cotts, and also I think all 29 teams would like to have Sweeney, him being only 19 notwithstanding.

Are you serious?

I dunno, actually.

My rotation (IF the trade happens) looks more like:

1. Unit

2. Garcia

3. Buehrle

4. Garland

5. Esty/Scho

Both Esty and Scho have been pretty unreliable lately. I'd trust Garland more than either of them in a big game, right now. I'd definitely rather have him pitch in a playoff game than those two.

I dunno, actually.

My rotation (IF the trade happens) looks more like:

1. Unit

2. Garcia

3. Buehrle

4. Garland

5. Esty/Scho

Both Esty and Scho have been pretty unreliable lately.  I'd trust Garland more than either of them in a big game, right now.  I'd definitely rather have him pitch in a playoff game than those two.

Forget Schoeneweis. The guy deserves to be in the bullpen and if he doesn’t like it than he can leave. It’s not like anyone wants him.