Randy Johnson narrows it to 5 teams

SoxFan562004

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very good point.  They want guys that are close to contributing, if possible.

Rauch, Bajenaru, Diaz, Munoz, Anderson, Cotts, and also I think all 29 teams would like to have Sweeney, him being only 19 notwithstanding.

You're right. They'd love to have Sweeney. Not as a centerpiece, but to sweeten the deal. The Sox still would be required to give them 2 or 3 guys that could help them almost immediately. The other question is Will JR be willing to take on that contract?

You're right. They'd love to have Sweeney. Not as a centerpiece, but to sweeten the deal. The Sox still would be required to give them 2 or 3 guys that could help them almost immediately. The other question is Will JR be willing to take on that contract?

HE should, but would that free some more cash for Maggs?

The big question seems to be whether or not he has money deferred on that contract or not. If he does have deferred money, then that would seem to fit perfectly with Reinsdorf.

Here is a link about Randy Johnsons from the NY Times. I don't know why Mike and Mike said that Johnson narrowed his list down. That is not true, although I heard them say the same exact thing. The truth is that the Diamondbacks have spoke to 4 teams about him. These four teams are the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and White Sox.

Here is the article:

Arizona Tests the Trade Waters

By TYLER KEPNER

Published: July 15, 2004

n an attempt to gauge the market for their franchise player, the Arizona Diamondbacks contacted several teams yesterday to discuss their interest in the ace left-hander Randy Johnson.

According to an official of one of the teams, the Diamondbacks spoke with at least four teams: the Yankees, the Boston Red Sox, the Anaheim Angels and the Chicago White Sox. The Mets are also interested in Johnson and will almost certainly be included in discussions if trade talks become serious.

Advertisement

The Diamondbacks have not decided whether to deal Johnson, but he said on Monday that he would approve a trade to a contender. Arizona, which has the worst record in the major leagues, could view that as an opening to trade a player who is due $16 million next season.

Johnson's agent, Barry Meister, said he had not been approached by the Diamondbacks to waive Johnson's full no-trade clause. Meister said Johnson should be involved in the trade process.

"In my discussions with the Diamondbacks, I've explained to them that it would be a waste of everyone's time to contact clubs to find out about their interest in Randy Johnson without having an understanding from us about whether he would accept a trade and where he would accept a trade," Meister said. "I would be surprised if the Diamondbacks are doing that."

Arizona General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. did not return a phone call seeking comment.

The pursuit of Johnson could become another arena for the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry. Both teams clearly want Johnson and could afford to pay him, especially with deferred money accounting for $6 million of his 2005 salary.

But neither team is stocked with elite prospects, which explains why the Red Sox have spoken with the Chicago Cubs about trading shortstop Nomar Garciaparra for prospects who might satisfy Arizona's demands.

Johnson's relationship with Boston pitcher Curt Schilling is unlikely to prevent him from accepting a trade there. Johnson has been reported to dislike Schilling, but the two spent time together at All-Star Game functions this week and live near each other in Arizona. Their wives and children are also friendly. Johnson, 40, has said his primary motivation is to win, and he and Schilling pitched the Diamondbacks to the World Series title in 2001.

The Yankees have not begun seeking three-way trade possibilities because the Diamondbacks have not let teams know what they would want in return. But the Yankees' farm system is thin, and their major league roster is loaded with players who would be difficult to trade.

The Yankees encountered this problem in trade talks last month for Carlos Beltran, who was then with the Kansas City Royals. The Royals scouted the Yankees' prospects but determined that they wanted an Oakland prospect, Mark Teahen. To get Teahen for the Royals, the Yankees would have had to send reliever Tom Gordon to the A's, an idea they quickly rejected, and Beltran wound up on the Houston Astros.

Some in baseball believe the Mets could be a strong contender for Johnson because they could afford his salary and they have several attractive prospects, notably third baseman David Wright. But the Mets, who have said they want to keep their top prospects, believe they are long shots to land Johnson.

The White Sox moved aggressively last month to outbid the Yankees for pitcher Freddy Garcia, who was then with Seattle. But the White Sox may have used their best trade chips when they dealt catcher Miguel Olivo and outfielder Jeremy Reed to the Mariners.

The teams involved in the Johnson discussions fear the presence of the Angels, who are loaded with prospects. But the Angels' owner, Arte Moreno, told reporters on Tuesday that he would not order General Manager Bill Stoneman to get Johnson and that he would not sacrifice top prospects.

I think there's a good possibility that NL teams have no chance to get him since he is signed for next year and Arizona would want him out of the NL completely. I think the Cubs are mentioned because of the prospects they have. I don't think the Mets have much of a chance to get him

I noticed that the NY post article said that Sox may have traded away their best chips getting Garcia. I tend to think that's just east coast bias so it looks like NY has a better chance. I think teams still would want Anderson, Sweeny, Diaz, Rauch, Banjero, Honel (if he's healthy), and a couple others.

Also, they contradict themselves by saying Arizona contacted the White Sox

Our problem here is that as much as we all like Anderson and Sweeney (and I like both of them a lot), neither of them is rated amongst the top 50 prospects in baseball. The Angels have much more to deal with here. I think we may be being used here by the Diamonbacks.

NY Times writer and baseball insider Jack Curry (sp) Score 670 interview recap:

What is real and what is not?

- Once RJ told reporters he'd waive his no trade clause, it's clear he wanted out. Named 5 teams we've mentioned, said Angels are probly out. Said KW said that he doesn't think he has enough to acquire him, he gave up guys in the Garcia deal. Boston is smart to try to get Cubs prospects to use in he deal. Yanks don't have the prospects. Should come down to the deadline basically and it's a mucky situation.

Teams are worried about acquiring Nomar because it's pretty much a rent a player situation.

Thinks Theo is going to remain active in trying to get RJ, but it won't be his decision, it will be a committee decision.

Said both Boston and NY farm systems are weak. Questions whether they simply have enough to give.

Mets don't want to give up Wright whatsoever. But Arizona needs to rebuild it's infield after giving up half a starting lineup to Milwaukee.

Handicap the field:

If one Chicago team makes a big move, who do you think it will be? Cubs...Sox have already made their big splash.

Is there anyone out there that isn't being talked about that should be acquired by a team? Jose Contreras should be looked into if some of the contract can be eaten up. He would benefit from a change of scenery

Most of the good stuff came at the start. He pretty much reinforced stuff we already know, but the most notable thing was when he said that he heard KW say that he doesn't think he has enough to acquire him.

What KW is saying has to be smoke.

If the Sox do not have enough to get him, than only the Angels or Cubs do, and since the Angels and Cubs have already been ruled out...

We are either looking at a 3 way trade, but what do the Red Sox or Yanks have to fetch those type of prospects?

Or

The White Sox have a legitimate shot at RJ, and are weighing how much they should invest talent wise into this trade.

SB

It could be another bluff. We were in the Garcia mix early on, and then you didn't hear anything about the ChiSox being in any kind of deal for FG. This may be another attempt to put us under the radar again.

IF (That's a big if, :lol:).....we acquired RJ, my rotation would be the following:

RJ

Garcia

Buerhle

Garland

Loaiza

Whats even more interesting is while Curry said that Boston was smart to look for other prospects, and the Yanks did not have the prospects...

It was KW who said he did not have enough, not people outside of the White Sox organization.

Im more thinking KW meant, he doesnt have enough he can give away to get it done without putting all of his eggs into 1 basket.

Also I expect Az is playing hardball right now, but as the deadline approaches they have 2 options:

1) Trade now while RJ's value is the highest its been in 2 years.

2) Wait till next year, try and make a run with RJ, if it doesnt work trade at the deadline.

As the deadline gets closer, the reality that next year the value of RJ could be much less as hell be a rental player, a year older, and no gaurantee of health, should drive down the price.

Itll be interesting to see what happens, but I doubt the package Az recieves is something the Sox just didnt have.

SB

What KW is saying has to be smoke.

If the Sox do not have enough to get him, than only the Angels or Cubs do, and since the Angels and Cubs have already been ruled out...

We are either looking at a 3 way trade, but what do the Red Sox or Yanks have to fetch those type of prospects?

Or

The White Sox have a legitimate shot at RJ, and are weighing how much they should invest talent wise into this trade.

SB

Kenny likes to keep things hush hush, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he said something like that so people don't worry about the sox. I know he's said before that it was a must to keep quiet and not let anyone else know that the sox were involved in the bartolo sweepstakes otherwise another team would have came into the deal and got him.

I have a real hard time believe Kenny said that.

Yeah, i know, but that's what this guy said Kenny said, either he heard him say it or he read it somewhere or heard it second hand. That part wasn't clear cuz he only briefly mentioned that as he was summarizing the teams. But i wouldn't count us out until RJ is in a diff uniform.